_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1:48 Bristol F2B Eduard / Roden Kitbash
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 07:36 PM UTC
A couple of years back, I started a 1:48 Bristol F2B project using the Roden Sunbeam Arab powered F2B kit. I had built up the engine, as well as scratchbuilding the fuselage framing and some flying surface framing with the intention of a maintenance diorama, but the project has been shelved for a couple of years due to a number of reasons. Some other material has changed the direction I want to take with this project when I get back to it, but long story short it requires a Rolls Royce Eagle engine, which has freed up the completed Sunbeam Arab engine for another project. Here is the engine as it was built some years ago and as it currently stands:

The Roden and Eduard kits of the F2B are both great kits - the Eduard kit has some excellent engineering and crispness that the Roden kit lacks, but the Roden kit has a beautiful engine that the Eduard kit lacks. Well, I figured I could combine the two (given the rest of the Roden kit I have will be used for something else), and get the best of both worlds. So I have decided to add the Roden engine to the Eduard kit, and build a Sunbeam Arab powered F2B, most likely in the markings of an aircraft from 7SQN (training), Australian Flying Corps.

The project is very much in its infancy - but today I chopped the nose off the Eduard kit (always scary taking to a very nice kit with a hacksaw) and test fitted the engine. Some gaps there but it should be fixable without too many problems all going well.

This could be the start of a beautiful friendship....

BC
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 10:14 PM UTC
Hi Brad,

Wow that engine looks fantastic – and your detailing is most beautiful. Really looking forward to the ongoing process of this one...

Best Regards

Mikael
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 01:50 AM UTC
I recall this build Brad , but wonder what happened . Great to see you back on the project once more . Your attention to the details is outstanding and has been a great inspirational . Looking forward to more progress as it unfolds
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 05:29 AM UTC
Good Luck

Cheers Nick
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 09:53 PM UTC
GULP!
That's awsome, Brad!
Propellerfanatic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Fejer, Hungary
KitMaker: 18 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 10:46 PM UTC
Beautiful work!
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 08:01 PM UTC
I love this kind of project and will be watching with great interest Brad. Top class work as always..it goes wiithout saying really.

Keith
Roxter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rigas, Latvia
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 12:52 AM UTC
Wah!! great stuff, Brad!

Brad, what do you use for engine weathering? Really like that subtle, but yet dirty look.
 _GOTOTOP