_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official Pearl Harbor 2010 Thread
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 603 posts
AeroScale: 565 posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2010 - 05:34 PM UTC
It doesn't appear the campaign date for the start was changed in the campaign arena. It still shows as July 28.

I would like to start this thread as the official thread for this campaign.

Joe
EDC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 101 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 10:19 PM UTC
Hi, when does this campaign begin? I've just bought a Hasegawa 1/72 Kate, so that will be my entry.

Grant
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 09:00 AM UTC
Hi Joe,

I will start with my campaign entries early next week. Is that okay?
Just finished both my P-40 Warhawks yesterday (pictures soon in the P-40 thread ) so I could perfectly start with both my D3A1 from Revell/Hasegawa in 1:48.

Torsten
GVoakes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 193 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 04:28 PM UTC
Came across this campaign earlier - I'm definitely in!

At this time, I'm thinking about cracking the Hasegawa 1/48 B5N open and doing that. It's the only Pearl Harbour attacker I have not modeled yet, having done a couple of Vals and a bunch of Zeros in the past. Just the incentive I needed to get going on this!

Grant
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 01:45 PM UTC
sorry all. real life can be so distracting.

the entry date is still open. just give yourself the time to finish.

no problem to start next week. i havent even opened a kit yet. still not sure which to work on.

the more the merrier on this.

joe
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 - 08:54 AM UTC
Okay folks, here are the first pics of my campaign entries, Aichi D3A1 "Val" in 1:48 from Revell/ex Hasegawa

Started early last week, it took me 2 evenings for this canopy masking orgy
There are both versions of an open and a closed version on the Eduard sheet ....

.... here you can see both cockpits, one is completed, the other one will be in the next few minutes. I will build one with an open and one with a closed canopy ....

.... and here both fuselages are glued togehter. My last works for today. More work tomorrow ....

Happy modelling!
Torsten
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 01:25 AM UTC
looks great Torsten.

joe
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 04:45 AM UTC
Looks good T.

Looks like we need to add patience of a saint to your list of mad modeling skillz.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 07:57 AM UTC
Hey, where are you, folks? Am I the only one here? Where are all the others of us 17 campaign members? Would like to see, how you are doing .....
Anyway, some process from me. This week I had enough time in the evenings to get a bit further with my "Vals".

Here are both seen on my cutting mat ready for the paint. In front we have the "Zuikaku" aircraft, which will become grey overall and already with the red tail is the "Soryu" aircraft ....

.... something magical happened. The dark green plastic on the underside somehow turned into IJN Grey Green. It's from Tamiya. It took me about 1 hour airbrushing to get the coating opaque ..... The rest follows in the next days. This becomes "Zuikaku's" Val .....

.... and the red tail has become yellow after another hours work with Kip Tape (same as Tamiya Tape but cheaper) ....

Tomorrow evening I will airbrush the other underside with IJN Grey - from Gunze this time. Now, where are your kits, guys?

Happy modelling!
Torsten
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 01:03 PM UTC
Wow Widow good work but your cutting mat is entirely to clean.Mine looks like a battle field
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2010 - 09:06 AM UTC
Some more process photos from my workbench. Painting is nearly finished, just some small corrections to be done .....
No, they are nor kissing! Just to show you how much I had to cover just to airbrush the cowlings black .....

..... some bits and pieces .....

.... demasking is always a bit like to unwrap your christmas presents. You never know what you really get .... That's how my "Vals" looked yesterday evening. Today I came a bit further. More photos soon.

Justin, I only use my cutting mat for cut and glue, that's why it looks still clean. For airbrushing I use an old newspaper. This is from February 2010. Do you think, I need to change it?

Happy modelling
Torsten
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 01:46 PM UTC
torsten they both look great so far.

ok finally got started.

accurate miniatures marines at pearl harbor set. 1/48. my entry is the sb2u-3.

bear with me on this now. i am going to try something different.

first the construction on the pit.

now for the new. shot a flat black. this will be the basis for the shadows. I HOPE.

hopefully this will work.

joe
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 10:18 PM UTC
After big problems yesterday late evening (did the server had a breakdown?), I will try again to post some photos of my campaign builds. This week I came pretty far with them and it looks, as if I will be ready next weekend or at least by months end ....
.... here you can see the bomb rack of one of them .....

.... and here with the big bomb .....

.... all parts are glued together and painted, both kits see already the end of the assembly line and wait now for their Future Shine and the decals. On the left you see "Soryu's" Val, which gets an open canopy and on the right is "Zuikaku's" Val, already with the closed canopy attached.

More pictures soon .....

Happy modelling
Torsten
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 08:35 AM UTC
Had to do a surgical intervention today
I noticed rather late that there are no decals on the Revell sheet for the 2 fuselage stripes of the "Zuikaku" aircraft. It's not even mentioned that they have to be painted .....
So I had to mask with Parafilm M and Kip Tape ....

..... airbrush with Agama IJN Grey .....

.... and demask again. The stripes are 4 mm wide and the space inbetween is 1 mm. I'm quite satisfied with the result

Now I can carry on with decaling .....

Torsten
f18fixer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 03:48 AM UTC
I'll play, here is my completed Hasegawa VAL...hope you enjoy
Craig

BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 04:28 AM UTC
Hey hey! Your Val is looking great, Craig! Well done! It's that 1:48 kit, right?
Well, I've also just finished my Dual Combo Both are build in my usual way out or box with no weathering. Here are some first shots from my workbench ....

It took me about 5 weeks to build them. More (and better) photos soon ....

Happy modelling!
Torsten
EDC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 101 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 06:43 PM UTC
Those Vals look great!

Here's my progress: I managed to get the kit out of the stash and peruse the instructions.

fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 12:47 PM UTC
first my apologies. real life interupted my portion of this build in a big way.

i am back and have some work to show.

i hope my distractions are now past.

joe
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 - 12:52 PM UTC
an update from me.

the fuse is together.

and a base coat of black.

joe
CaptSonghouse
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 05:32 AM UTC
Hi Joe!

My nautical contribution should be going under the lens by Thanksgiving. Should I submit the pics to this site or over at Shipwrights?

--Karl
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 01:23 AM UTC
karl i believe here would be appropriate. sorry for the delay in replying.

the update from me.

finished.

the only thing unfinished i believe is the badge for this build. anyone want to give it a try?

joe
CaptSonghouse
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 09:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joe!

My nautical contribution should be going under the lens by Thanksgiving. Should I submit the pics to this site or over at Shipwrights?

--Karl

Hi Joe!

I just submitted my pics to Mark Smith over at Model Shipwrights as a feature.

Thanks!

--Karl
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 01:39 AM UTC
december 7 1941, a day which will live in infamy.

the "attack" begins at approximately 7:51. at approximately 11:00 the last plane landed on the japanese carriers. the time between is filled with death and destruction and the end of paradise. six carriers. approximately 350 aircraft. a plan designed to be just a distraction for the main thrust into the south pacific by japanese naval and army units. just a distraction, one designed to cripple the united states navy so that the japanese could move freely through the pacific.

in the end 2388 military and civilian dead. 2107 navy and marine as well as 233 army and 48 civilians. 1109 military and civilian wounded. 710 navy and marine as well as 364 army and 35 civilians. 44 states represented, as well as the district of columbia, guam, the phillipines, and hawaii. 16 congressional medal of honors given as well as 51 navy crosses, 53 silver stars, four navy and marine corps medals, one distinguished service medal, and three bronze stars. 8 battleships sunk or heavily damaged, one minelayer sunk, two auxilliaries sunk or capsized and one heavily damaged. 169 aircraft lost, 92 navy and 77 army. 150 damaged, 31 navy and 128 army. all this in 110 minutes of combat.

for this amount of damage the japanese lost nine fighters, 15 dive bombers, and five torpedo planes. one I-class submarine was lost as well as the five midget subs. the casualties; 55 airmen, 121 submarine crewmen, and nine midget sub crewmen.

these facts taken from several sources.

the attack was so quick, so sudden, many of those killed didnt even know they were at war. even after the bombs and bullets started falling people didnt believe that they were being attacked. one report of a young man hunting with a cousin didnt believe there was an attack even after his cousin was killed. after that day the hawaiian islands were torn from being a territory governed by a few families to becoming a true part of the united states becoming a state not long after the war. the us navy was forced to change from a navy of battleship groups to a navy centered on the carrier.

today it is said that the arizona still weeps for her crew.

for those who died, for those who survived.

you will never be forgotten.

joe
 _GOTOTOP