_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WWI Movie Campaign?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 - 02:42 AM UTC
Well Stephen went and did it once again with planting ideas in me head, almost hurt when the light came on !

The idea is to have a campiagn on the aircraft used in WWI movies . Movies such as BlueMax , Flyboys , Red Baron etc, etc ....

Of cource what ever subject one choose's to do you will have to do the planes markings in that movie . Will be open to all scales and any aircraft used .

Not sure on the dates of yet , but it won't start for a few months any way . So let's hear your ideas and what the rules should be . . .

I know you want to, your sitting their looking at the stash and that choosen kit is calling your name .....
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 - 05:02 AM UTC
seems to recall Tiger moths used as SE5a's in Aces High? Probably as Fokkers too...hmmmm options
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 - 05:37 AM UTC
I have a Flyboys Nieuport I can do. Great show.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 - 07:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

seems to recall Tiger moths used as SE5a's in Aces High? Probably as Fokkers too...hmmmm options

Here is the old Aurora kit built as a background Pfalz in the Blue Max Movie.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 - 08:22 AM UTC
Hi there

Harry Woodman wrote a great article about just this subject for Scale Models magazine back in the dim and distant days of the '70s. His "Wichita Fokker" was fantastic!

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Here is the old Aurora kit built as a background Pfalz in the Blue Max Movie.

This is just to cool , a tiger moth in lozenge !
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 02:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there

Harry Woodman wrote a great article about just this subject for Scale Models magazine back in the dim and distant days of the '70s. His "Wichita Fokker" was fantastic!

All the best

Rowan

I have a copy of that article. Really great, included 1/48th drawings ,IIRC? Color profiles etc.The article was related to Dawn patrol.
RAGIII
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 05:46 AM UTC
i'm in...

gotta love that tiger moth

paul
badwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 79 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 11:33 AM UTC
With the older films i can understand using what they had, give it a coat of paint and stick a few crosses on it, and there's a Fokker, Albatros or whatever, but modern films today using C.G.G still get it wrong, i believe Flyboys was just Fokker dr1's and Nieuports, hence i never watched it,
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 03:50 PM UTC
I'm up on this concept! My first Pfalz D.IIIa (still have it, though in pieces) was the 1/48 K&B (formerly Aurora) model that, inspired by The Blue Max, I hand-painted lozenge camouflage upon.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 - 03:29 AM UTC
Right on Fred that's the spirit ! we only need 6 more folks to go and still have to come up with the rules for this one . ( been waiting for you do finish the pfalz )
-RLWP-
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 33 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 09:24 AM UTC
I'm interested, but I don't know how to go about entering a campaign.

Could we extend this to movies covering the Early Aviation era without them having to be warbirds? I'm thinking of my hero Dick Grace and his movies

Richard
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 10:02 AM UTC
Greetings Richard,

There are two areas to consider.

First, there is a title here on Aeroscale in the forums Called "Campaigns". This is where we usually talk about and officially open a thread about the campaign.

Second, the actual location of the campaign and the sign up is in the pull down menu. Look at the top of this page and its the second tab from the left.
-RLWP-
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 10:11 AM UTC
Right, I think I see what you are talking about.There's nothing in campaigns yet because this isn't a campaign yet - right?

Richard
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 11:07 AM UTC
Right we hash out thoughts and ideas here. make the proposal on the Campaigns forum when the leader posts a thread. Minimum of 10 to sign up and then the Campaign goes live on the proposed start date.
-RLWP-
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 10:29 PM UTC
OK, I'd like to have ago at this.

Could we extend it to movies up to 1934? That is set in or made in that era. It could allow other planes than warbirds to get into the category, like Dick Grace dangling under a Jenny in "Sky High" (1920). Or if I could find out any more info on it, his famous crash into a barn for "Forest Ranger" (or is it "Eyes in the Sky"?).

What do you think? "Planes of the Movies" covering the Early Aviation era.

Richard

I suppose you could include the Wright Brothers early flights in that too...
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 01:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, I'd like to have ago at this.

Could we extend it to movies up to 1934? That is set in or made in that era. It could allow other planes than warbirds to get into the category, like Dick Grace dangling under a Jenny in "Sky High" (1920). Or if I could find out any more info on it, his famous crash into a barn for "Forest Ranger" (or is it "Eyes in the Sky"?).

What do you think? "Planes of the Movies" covering the Early Aviation era.

Richard

I suppose you could include the Wright Brothers early flights in that too...

Hi Richard !

The base for this campiagn is towards WW 1 aircraft used in the movies . Doesn't matter when the movie was made as long it is WW 1 aircraft .

If other folks are up to the idea of including aircraft up 1932 it can be work in . Neat idea Richard , thank-you for sharing it with us .......a Jenny would be nice to see
-RLWP-
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 03:26 AM UTC
I only picked 1934 because this forum is titled:

Quoted Text

Early Aviation

Anyway, off to do some research...

Richard
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I only picked 1934 because this forum is titled:

Quoted Text

Early Aviation

Anyway, off to do some research...

Richard

Hi Richard: You are correct, the forum here is WWI-1934, however, for this campaign it is WWI movies. You have a neat idea for a campaign, and you could pursue that campaign, however, for this purpose, as I understand it, it is WWI movies and the aircraft therein.

Best
Mark
-RLWP-
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 11:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Richard: You are correct, the forum here is WWI-1934, however, for this campaign it is WWI movies. You have a neat idea for a campaign, and you could pursue that campaign, however, for this purpose, as I understand it, it is WWI movies and the aircraft therein.

Best
Mark

Hey, it's no problem, I can work within the WWI movie category. But as the campaign doesn't exist yet, and I thought it was still up for discussion, I thought I'd throw something else in - planes in movies set before 1934. If people don't want to do that, it's fine by me.

I don't want to start a different campaign later on as, first I'm new here and secondly, how would you leave out the WWI planes?

Incidentally, as far as I can tell, this forum is anything up to 1934. If it isn't, where is the forum for the Wright Brothers, Stringfellow monoplanes, Montgolphier balloons or DaVinci gliders?

Richard

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 03:07 PM UTC
It would be great if there were an interest in this arena. Balloons through Kitty Hawk. If memory serves there were some early hot air balloon kits back in the 50's?

But as it is this thread is about post war movie aircraft replicas. Now the movies were tossing out these old veteran aircraft on to the big screen and many survived in private hands. Take for instance the two Pfalz D.XII that stared in several early movies. But the movies spawned a series of replicas painted up in First World War paint schemes. Like the Waco and the gypsy moth. Then there were full sized and 7/8 scale replicas designed to resemble the WWI originals. We started to see these in 1966 up through the Red Baron movie of 2008.

"Hollywood Hockum" if you will. "Movie knock offs" from the originals. "Early aviation in grease paint" puts it right for me. But I am just throwing up suggestions.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 09:29 PM UTC
Anyone remember the old Tallmantz Fokker D.VII? Here is a bit of fun from artist Robert Karr.

"I started with the old DML/Dragon 1:48kit. Despite the long years of Hollywood use including swapping out the original engine for a Hispano Suiza, this old girl was still a real Fokker D.VII underneath the facelifts and makeup. I rebuilt the nose- totally- adding the fittings for an upperwing tank and modified the cockpit from some pretty good pictures of what it actually looked like at this time. The louvers and nose panel demarcations were painted on the actual bird- so they are here too! The faux-Udet markings are as accurate as I could make them- for this actual airplane, in this actual time frame. This is what she looked like in the early 60s when I saw her at the old Orange County Airport Tallman/Mantz museum. But underneath it al she was still a Fokker. . .

I have the Tallman book and used it extensively for this project, and also a bunch of other stuff including some web finds and a couple of old crummy pics I shot myself as a kid. An oldish issue of WW I Aero had an article about this airplane when it arrived in the Netherlands for it's last restoration, and this included some "naked" photos, revealing the Hollywood cockpit interior. And yes- she still exists! She's been restored for several years now and lives in a Dutch museum . . .

A geniune D.VII, now in the Netherlands after a well-traveled life, she looked like this in the early 60s, in a sort-of Udet scheme. Mods on the kit included a rebuilt nose to fit a Hisso engine- cobbled up from sheet plastic; stumpy, twisted individual exhaust stacks; Aileron cables re-routed lower on the fuselage; odd extra rigging cables in the center secture; the rear landing gear bay also had rigging; gas tanks in upper wing led to valves and hoses to service them; new instrument panel in a different location;new seat that could accomodate a 'chute;guns raised and more and most wonderfully- painted louvers. . .
Robert Karr"
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 12:58 PM UTC
At last!
A movie model contest!

I have mine picked out. Now where can I find a MB-3? That is just a hint.

Can we use some of those documentary films?

Oh Joy! Checker Board Jenny (Dawn Patrol), Sikorsky Gotha! (Hell's Angels)

Captn Tommy
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 01:32 PM UTC
There were movies in the thirtys 50s, 60s and seventies with world war one scenes.

Men with Wings 1938, (I think) from which Harry Woodman made his Wichita Fokker.

Lafayette Esquadrille 1950s with Tab Hunter.

Spirit of Saint Louis (which maybe 1919), Lawrence of Arabia, Aces High use Bucker Jungman (You know what I mean) and a Stearman for the Germans

Darling Lillie - Rock Hudson's Checker Board SE5. (probably the best story after Blue Max)

Flyboys is just a accurate as most other WWI movies. There are several articles where the director freely admits the use of red DR1s was so the movie goer could instantly tell the Germans from the French. Besides a Zep bombing mission during the day? Gotha G4 in 1916? HP O/400 in 1916? I will tell you I have seen the movie several times, and love the aerial scenes. As I always say to nit pickers. IT'S A MOVIE be thankful its about WWI and has Biplanes.

Captn Tommy

(you should try sitting through Hells Angels, Great flying scenes, horrible story)
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 01:39 PM UTC
By the way

I will join.

Captn Tommy
 _GOTOTOP