_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
EVENT
Mannheim Expo
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 12:20 AM UTC

Torsten Rossmann (BlackWidow) has sent us some pictures of the Kurpfälzer Modellbautage 2010 Expo which took place in Mannheim.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 12:34 AM UTC
Wow, fantastic display of aircraft there Torsten, very inspiring work and it looks like a happy bunch of modelers also. Thanks for posting all those photos Jean-Luc.
tim
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 08:48 AM UTC
Torsten, great photography! Some great models there. Were there any other scales there or did you just focus on the 1/48? I have a question I have always wanted to ask a German modeler. Here it goes.

I notice that the swastika's are covered in some of the photos and in some they are not. I wondered why that was? I know that it can be a painful collective memory, I'm not trying to dredge up bad thoughts, just curious.

It seems to me that there is nothing wrong with portraying aircraft of that time in the correct markings. Everyone knows what the Nazi party did, the horrific crimes committed by them, but the fact remains not everyone was a Nazi. Throughout the Luftwaffe and the other services there certainly was a sprinkling of Nazi fanatics, no doubt, however most service members probably saw their service as to Germany. In the same way Japanese saw their service to Japan and Italians to Italy. I know that there was a great allegiance to the warlords by some; I still, this is from my reading of history, believe the men of the Axis fought for their countries!

Maybe as an American I have a different perspective, but I was wondering what your thoughts were. I have noticed that in some German museums aircraft are displayed with all of the correct markings while aircraft which are flown in public are not. I guess this has to do with the laws in Germany regarding the display and use of the swastika. There may be a fear among some that it would be a rallying point for fanatics which still exist today under the surface of society.

Your thoughts would be appreciated on this matter. Thank you for reading. Russell
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 08:42 AM UTC
Thanks for your comments, guys!

Russell, your question is easy to answer. To show swastikas in Germany is forbidden by law with 3 exceptions: historical photos, in movies and in museums. So swastikas on kits in Germany are always covered! I just uncovered some in purpose to show them here on AeroScale. The Fw 190 "Yellow 12" is mine and the swastika was uncovered just for this picture. Usually I build german aircrafts without this sign as it is not on the decal sheet and I don't care if it's on or not. The decals for my "Yellow 12" are from Aeromaster, bought directly in the US. So the swastikas are on the sheet and will be on the aircraft, too. You won't get decals with swastikas in Germany, even importing them from let's say the US or Czech is not allowed. But who wants to control that? So if you come over to Germany and show your models at an expo, you better cover the swastikas. If one gets caught with uncovered swastikas, he might pay quite a lot of money fine. The same rules count for the SS sign and the finnish Hakaristi, which has nothing to do with the Nazi symbol. But only in Germany. If you have more questions about this matter, just feel free to ask, I will try to answer.

Happy modelling
Torsten

PS The models shown are not all in 1:48, they range from 1:32 to 1:72. I just prefer "my" scale.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 01:13 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply Torsten! It helps clarify how things are, I just wonder if for historical accuracy someday things may change. I don't want to ferment any swastika sympathy, that isn't my issue, my issue is purely being intellectually honest with things on a historical level. I wonder if someday Germany will amend the rules once we are far enough from the second world war? Just my thoughts. Thanks again, Russell.

P.S. Any other modelers feel free to chime in on this matter, I'm just curious what peoples thoughts are on this somewhat sensitive issue.

By the way, your work is very good too!
 _GOTOTOP