_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Have any of you built minicrafts spruce goose
UM83CANES
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 07:49 AM UTC
The kit is fairly inexpensive and I’ve always been interested in the history of this huge aircraft but I’m a bit leery of getting a ‘toy like’ clunker of a kit…

Have any of you built it or are there any reviews online?

Thanks in advance,
Noah

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 09:12 AM UTC
Hi Noah. I have not built this kit but I did own it at one time. It is a nice model, I recommend it. It is a nice size and I think you would enjoy building it. Russell
Griffon65
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 363 posts
AeroScale: 51 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 06:52 PM UTC
Funnily enough my brother tried to build the Minicraft 1/200 Spruce Goose about 5 years ago. He quickly became frustrated with it and then dumped it on me.

I found it to be a general pain in the butt. The main problem was with the wings, which are molded in two upper and two lower parts. This might sound straight forward, but when you have glued the top and bottom halves of the wings together, you then have to slot the two wings together. This didn't really work for me because the plastic was quite soft and the two wing halves kept on splitting at the join between them.

And when I had finally got the glue to set I tried to attach the wings to the fuselage, but the fit there was quite bad too.

At the time my brother and I didn't have too much experience with plastic kits, but I reckon that with a bit of patience and forethought you might be able to get a half decent model out of the kit.

Hope this helps
UM83CANES
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 02:08 AM UTC
Thank you for your comments and advice guys!

Take care,
Noah
 _GOTOTOP