_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Pilatus PC-6C/H-2 - 1/48 Roden
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 06:32 AM UTC
As you might guess I am suffering a bit from Rowanitis Baylensis .. starting many projects ... finishing few

Anyway, when I photographed the kit for my review on the IPMS Deutschland site I really could not resist to dryfit a few parts, drill holes and use a bit of glue and sanding sticks and before I knew it I was in the middle of the next project. Do not worry I am waiting for paint for the Zero and I never liked doing cockpits (Fw 190Dora) so these projects are still on my bench and in progress but not full steam (it is too hot anyway). So here is what I did so far:

Sometimes I just like such models. It is not really difficult, but you spend some time fitting and sanding.

all the best

Steffen
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 07:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As you might guess I am suffering a bit from Rowanitis Baylensis .. starting many projects ... finishing zilch

I laughed. I've got that same disease, although my wife tells me it's called "lack of focus".

Anyway, it looks like a good start. This kit, in at least one of its variants, is on my list of candidates for the stash, but...well, see above.

-YL
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 10:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rowanitis Baylensis

All along I thought I had LMS (Lousy Modeler Syndrome), I'm adopting this one starting today.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 08:01 PM UTC
Thanks guys that you rather refer to my small side joke on Rowan than on my model

cheers

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 09:24 PM UTC
Wow! Thank you very much everybody. I'm delighted to have my name coined as a term for "lousy" modelling! Perhaps it's a first? - I'm sure not many people can claim such an honour! It really does your confidence a power of good...

Excuse me while I go and try to finish another of my lousy builds.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 11:59 PM UTC
Hi all

Rowan: As I wrote you I did not want to do any harm but I only wanted to add a funny comment why I started the 3rd build thread in a short span of time. I also adjusted my initial post a bit, but a word is like a swords strike .. you cannot take it back

Again: I do apologize!

I cannot speak for the others but I do not think anyone intended to refer to you as a "lousy modeler", which is obviously not true when seeing your finished models and BLogs.

so now lets try to focus on models ...

all the best

Steffen
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2010 - 12:36 AM UTC
Lousy, NO.
Lazy ??

As for me No modelling at all.

Sanding and fitting is therapeutic
some plastic therapy for me tonight.

Is this going to be a civvy scheme?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2010 - 12:59 AM UTC
Hi JP

I will get one of the Air America schemes (not the movie machine). See link in first post for some sprue pix, box, decals...

all the best

Steffen
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2010 - 03:25 AM UTC
Er, um that sounded a lot funnier in my head, Sorry, I did not mean to disparage your modeling skills.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 861 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2010 - 06:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Er, um that sounded a lot funnier in my head, Sorry, I did not mean to disparage your modeling skills.

Ditto. I don't think it was a take on your skills, Rowan, but rather a jab at your building schedule. I have no room to talk, mind you. A dozen projects on the bench, and none of them finished. You know the drill.

Steffan: I do think the build is coming along nicely so far. Like I said before, I really want one of these for the stash. I'm very interested to see how the kit turns out.

-YL
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2010 - 06:31 AM UTC
Hmm I just run into a problem... checking the instructions for the front cockpit I find the use of 4 Parts (2 times for 2 seats so 8 in total) from Sprue I that is not included in this kit. (I checkt the AU-23 where these are included) I will contact Roden to see whats the deal ....

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2010 - 11:18 PM UTC
While waiting for Rodens Answer I proceeded a little bit.

I sprayed the interior FS 16622, painted the details applied a first black wash and mounted the dash board.

Also I added some plastic card for a good sit of the rear fuselage. I want to avoid too much putty here.

And finally I assembled and polished the tail plane and added teh elevators.

all the best

Steffen

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 08:29 PM UTC
It's starting to look like an aircraft

As you can see quite a bit of filling and sanding on top of the fuselage and below the stern. Still it was fun. The elevator is just test mounted.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 - 03:55 AM UTC
Hi all

temperatures are still much too hot here in Germany but I managed to do some bits. I filled and sanded the hood and of course had to replace the small scoop again. I polished the front window with some toothpaste and gave it a bath in Klear, but it still has a lot of cords.

As I got no response from Roden yet I took some parts for the seats and two scoops for the lower front from the AU-23 kit. Installing the seats will be a bit difficult due to my premature mounting of the window, but I hope I can make it.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 03:14 AM UTC
Another small update

originally i wanted to leave off the u/c until after decals, but as this lower part of the fuselage will be NMF I must attach as much as possible before the paint job and as the u/c needs some strength and thus has to be glued with plastic glue ....

I also re-attached the two antennas under the tail which I cut off for sanding.

I know slow progress but to my defence: it is still hot like hell and I still have no answer from Roden(!). I find that rather surprising, but maybe I found a major glitch of this box...

all the best

Steffen
P.S. I understand Rowan is p.o. by this thread and thus keeps out, J-L is on vacation, but judging from the clicks there must be some people visiting.... so one or another comment would be nice, especially if you notice mistakes and building glitches!!! I can still fix these at this point of the build.

Anyway: Thanks for watching
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 12:00 PM UTC
Steffen, I'm still watching, but I'm trying to keep my big mouth shut Sorry about P.O.ing Rowan.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 08:54 PM UTC
Thanks Mark!

I know there's not always something to say and I am also not fishing for compliments, but sometimes I just miss one or another important step and it is nice when there is someone to give me a hint ...

Here is another small update ...

all the best

Steffen
Roxter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rigas, Latvia
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 245 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 11:47 PM UTC
Steffen, just love your in-progress pics. I see that the model needs some closer attention (judging from the pics of the upper part of fuselage and wing area).

By the way, I guess I've seen one Pilatus here in Latvia on air-show in Tukums - I'll dig my archive to see if I have any photos of the subject.

PS. this terrible hot weather makes people very slow and lazy, that's why it took me almost a week to comment here. I'm not evening thinking of modelling these days..
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 12:18 AM UTC
Cheers Arseny

Well, the white plastic is just for parts that I sanded away or broke off (inner right wing) so this is nothing that must be corrected, but just replacements. I used a bit broader strips for the wing to fuselage joints as I think these are covers for the gaps (?).

I find it rather annoying that I still did not get an answer from Roden ... at least something like: "we are on vacation" would have been nice. Hope I will get the two "I" sprues as a replacement for my AU-23 kit one day ...

all the best

Steffen
Roxter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rigas, Latvia
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 12:22 AM UTC
Hmmm.. Well, as far as I see the business activity in Eruope is very low. Of course, something of "we're out of office and will get back to your shortly" would be a normal reply. I know that Stephen gets review kits from Roden - may be he could assist somehow?

Or should I build another review and rating site just like Roxter.info?
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

P.S. I understand Rowan is p.o. by this thread and thus keeps out, J-L is on vacation, but judging from the clicks there must be some people visiting.... so one or another comment would be nice, especially if you notice mistakes and building glitches!!! I can still fix these at this point of the build.

Anyway: Thanks for watching

G'day Steffen. As always I'm one of the regular watchers of your build so there's plenty of clicks from me. We share the same disease - open a new box, test fit a part or three, then before we realise there's another half-built kit !!

This one is coming along great, I've always found the "angular" design of this very unusual and appealing.

Cheers, D
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 01:17 AM UTC
Hello Damian

I guess it is a pretty common disease and there are only a few modelers that do focus on every single build (e.g. J-L does that). I often have steps in a build that I do not like (e.g. cockpits or decaling) and this often changes on daily basis so I just pick a project that is in a state that I like and there is always one or ten

The PC-6 is fun so far. I do like the sanding polishing thing, but now I get closer and closer to close up the model for painting so I need the masks otoh I am still not sure if I should use the AU-23 seats or if I must build in another config (Military seats seam logical as this is a Fairchild built a/c and the CIA is not really a civil user .. not even civilised )

cheers

Steffen
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 03:29 AM UTC
OK, you got me this time.

Quoted Text

I am also not fishing for shoulder pads

In American slang you might be 'fishing for compliments'. Not sure if there's a shoulder pads equivalent in the rest of the English speeking world. Or is it something that didn't quite have an German/English/American equivalent?

In any event, I've watched enough of your builds to know the compliments come naturally, you don't have to fish for them.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 03:37 AM UTC
Cheers Mark

Thanks for the correction! For sure I wanted to say something different, don't know how I came up with that term should I use back-slapping instead?

all the best

Steffen
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 04:03 AM UTC
Don't worry Steffen, English (American?) is the only language where "skating on thin ice" can get you "into hot water"

My high school German teacher, mentioned an incident when she was traveling in West Germany (it was that long ago) where she couldn't keep up with the natives and asked for "Ein Augenblick, bitte". Which might have translated into an "eye blink'. She said they slowed down, but never said if it was because they understood or just took pity on the poor stupid American.

As a matter of context, a "pat on the back" refers to a compliment. "Back slapping" is usually a sign of goodwill, or friendship. I would pat you on the back for doing a good job on a difficult build. I migh back slap you as a greeting or to thank you for buying the next round of beer.
 _GOTOTOP