Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Lockheed P-38L - 1/48 Hasegawa
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
AeroScale: 135 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 06:18 AM UTC
Yeah, that clamping work looks oddly familiar. This kit is a test fit nightmare even just straight of the box. For me the next thing is getting the booms together and then mated to the wings. After that it's downhill from there.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 09:46 PM UTC
Thanks Joe, hope you are right

just 10 days left

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 03:38 AM UTC
Slow but steady ....

I should better leave it alone until tomorrow (or even Sunday) to let the glue fully cure. I did not use my usual Tamiya Extra thin but Faller expert for it's longer working time.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 09:52 PM UTC
Hi again

well it seems this time I got it pressed in the right directions (at least a little better. Still some sanding and filling will be necessary). Also I think I put in enought weight ...

cheers

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 07:14 AM UTC
Still slowly progressing . got a huge gap between outer wings and engine nacelles ... will fill that tomorrow

all the best

Steffen
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 03:27 PM UTC
Nice build you got going here !
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 11:03 PM UTC
Thanks Terri, still I am running out of time ...

I have started to fill the huge gaps with some plastic sheet ...

all the best

Steffen
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 11:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Terri, still I am running out of time ...
Steffen

Hey Steffen, this build is coming together nicely, especially with all of the "issues" you are facing there ! Please don't be too mindful of the finish date and rush through this, I would rather see you complete it too your own satisfaction and happily award the ribbon later.

Cheers, D
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 04:36 AM UTC
Cheers Damian

Well, it takes as long as it takes ... but I want to close this project fast.Still I might not meet the dead line, because of the BMF and the cockpit stuff

a bit of progress. I sanded/smoothed the filled areas and I applied some filler to the plastic inserts. Will also have to reapply two boom cooler flaps. Luckily these are only glued with Gators... BTW the wing tips need to be filled because my croco clips left deep impressions.

all the best

Steffen
Tojo72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
AeroScale: 238 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 06:01 AM UTC
Looks good Steffen,my favorite looking WWII aircraft !!
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 09:54 AM UTC

Nice going on this build Steffen!

A curious thing; Note how the boxtop image of your kit's box represents the bottom profile of the engine cowlings: As usual with almost all box top art, it is absolutely and rigorously correct in its depiction...

Also usual is the corresponding huge contrast with the in-box plastic in that problem area...

It has been a perpetual source of amazement to me how box art depictions are nearly always flawlessly accurate compared to the content of the box...

Here is a link to an analysis I did of this and other problems: Contrary to what I say in there, the engine cowling outline can be improved a lot, it's just that the problem is unlikely to be completely eradicated (I also don't think the "bud-eyed" cockpit problem is that big a deal, or that it can be solved by lenghtening the nose as implied here: I would think now trimming the clear parts height a little from the bottom might help just as well):

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/161717&page=1

I point this out again because this is the first Hasegawa P-38 box art I see that so blantantly depicts the kit's problem. (I tried to correct it about ten years ago with 3-4 tubes of putty to bulk-up the cowlings, but unlike my failure then, I think now it is doeable with a lot of patience, just likely not with an NMF finish)

A generally very nice-looking kit otherwise, and all the other late P-38 kits did not do the cowls any better anyway...

Gaston

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 10:20 PM UTC
Hi Steffen,

I'm amazed by how fast you are progressing with such a difficult build. Good luck to meet the deadline though...

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 10:39 PM UTC
Thanks Anthony and Jean-Luc

Well, I do not proceed as fast as I want and probably as I could .. sadly, but that's the way it is.

all the best

Steffen

J-L ... do you check your email from time to time? ...
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 153 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 05:52 PM UTC
Good work, Steffen.
We're at about the same point in the battle (my P-38H is over in the Pin-Ups Campaign). So, you're not alone in having to shim the wing/engine nacelle gap, or using all that putty to smooth out the thickness difference, etc. etc.

I just hope the putty and sanding stick vendors don't run out of stock before we are done!

BTW, I'm jealous of your fine PE work...it does add quite a bit, and I wish I had done it too.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 09:07 PM UTC
Thanks Tom!

Yes the PE adds quite a bit to the model! Meanwhile I have sanded the joints a bit annd reapplied filler and I also added a few parts (nose and pylons).

As for your build: Pretty much looking like mine (not sure if thats good or bad ) I have read that the F/G/H boxing shall have a few problems with the rudders being twisted. Was that the case in your kit?

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 04:43 AM UTC
Hmm, with every part I add or step i do I seem to have more work to do. As Damian granted me a few days more I will not rush it, but still

all the best

Steffen
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 10:08 PM UTC

..coming along very well Steffen ....
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 11:05 PM UTC
Thanks Neil!

I am puzzling with the small PE at the moment, so there is not much to report ....

all the best

Steffen
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 153 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 04:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have read that the F/G/H boxing shall have a few problems with the rudders being twisted. Was that the case in your kit?

Yes, the starboard rudder was badly twisted. You may recall that I tried to fix it using "a quick dip in boiling water"... which accidentally turned into a longer dip in boiling water...that resulted in a boom banana and a Quasimodo rudder. Hence, I had to get a new kit and rob the booms. The second kit had mild warpage, but I'll live with it rather than gamble again

I note you followed the instructions and installed the gear early. I did not, and hope that it doesn;t work out badly for me...
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 05:09 AM UTC
Cheers Tom

Yes, I do remember it but with that much twin booms flying around here i forgot it was you to have the mischap

Well, I do not really follow the instructions but trying to mount as much as I can before painting. In general I prefer to have the legs attached to let the model sit on them in the painting/drying stages. I am still unsure if I shall mount the u/c doors or leave them off untl after painting. Both ways have advantages and being the hamfisted modeler I am ... you get the picture.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 09:58 PM UTC
Well I took a picture today though there is still not much to show. It just is a difficult work to attach the small PE stuff (and I have just done one of the u/c doors)

all the best

Steffen
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 01:18 AM UTC
Looking great Steffen, I can't wait to see how this comes up with some paint and weathering on that PE. I'm tipping it will be stunning !!

Cheers, D
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 04:27 AM UTC
A question

has anyone ever built this thing with the PE? I am just trying to fit the nose gear u/c door and there is no way it will ever fit. Really I glued the arms as per instructions and now I want to mount it and it is not even close to anything --- already lost one , of course the one that has no spares but thats not the biggest problem

still in rant mode

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 11:28 PM UTC
Well after a day off and some more cursing and swearing I got the darn thing on. Of course it does not look as delicate as it could have, I still need to find a replacement for the missing hinge and I need to prolong/replace the actuator rod ... but it is on

all the best

Steffen
eagledoc2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 05:07 AM UTC
I would love to see more! Thanks