_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW GB 2009 - 10 SE-5a - Mr.Mox
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 09:32 AM UTC
I have begun work on my WNW SE 5a - mostly out of the box, but have replaced the wires in the cockpit area and built up the tail with the missing bulge.

Pretty strait forward - good but tight fit.

Cheers/Jan
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 - 05:55 AM UTC
While this kit essentially is very high class, theres still room for improvements - otherwise modeling would be a pretty boring affair...

Anyway, the large cutout and especially the metal plate behind it separating engine and cockpit, could do with a extra detailing.

The plate itself misses 4 ribs to stiffen it, they were added using stretched sprue:

in front of the large cutout a piece of wooden beam is missing, its needed to fasten the wires that ads strength to the framework - allso missing is the small cutout between the lower cowling - part A34 and the wing - its already there as a small indention on A34 but i have opened it up on both sides.

And here you see it testfitted with some wire - a small line of screws is also missing, they will be added when I start working on the exterior:

Cheers/Jan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 - 04:25 PM UTC
Looking good so far Jan !

Nice attention to the detail on the fire wall .
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 07:50 PM UTC
Thanks Terri!

I have a question - the cover over the hull mg looks to be hinged at the lower edge, but I havn´t found any pictures showing this hatch open for inspection or loading up the MG - would it open on the hinge or would it be removed entirely ?

Allmost ready to close up the cockpit...

Cheers/Jan
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 09:07 AM UTC
Nobody knows ?? now ain´t that sad

Anyway, have been working on detailing adding some missing rivets and stitches using archers rivet transfers which I originally bought for my submarine builds.

Missing 3 small rows on top of the fueltank:

And a row below - spaced more than those on the tank

And finally I have built up the missing ribs in the tail - and adding some transfers to look like stitches

Cheers/Jan
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 01:54 AM UTC
Hi Jan:

Looking good so far. Do those transfers show up after painting? Have you checked the WNW website? There is a link to their Vintage Aviator site with some pictures of their replica, might have some better detail photo's of the fuel tank cover.

Best
Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 03:47 AM UTC
nice detailing Mike !

Yes the gun cover is hinged ! Sorry did not answer sooner . I will try and see if I have any pic's for you .
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 06:33 AM UTC
Hi Jan,

Nice progress with your build – where did you get those stitching transfers? They look very handy to have around.

Best Regards

Mikael
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 07:01 AM UTC
Mark, Yes - ist some kind of resin blob on the carrierfilm, so they show up nicely.

Terri, thanks - but who is that Mike guy ??

Mikael, Can´t remember where I got them, they are by Archer, and comes in different patterns.

Cheers/Jan
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 06:41 PM UTC
The missing stitches and trying something newish...

My work is progressing very slowly, being distracted by many things, the time for modelling is limited and the quality of the kit kinda make you do your best to give it what it deserves.

But I have reached the stage, where most parts are attached to the fuselage and the interior is sealed up and masked off. First layer of green including preshading is on and I figured it would be easier to do the green first, masking the edges of the underside and apply the linen afterwards.

During painting - I happend to take a closer look at the area in the middle of the upper wing. Photos show that almost all of the underside misses 5 rows of tape/stiches and the backwards upper section misses 3 rows.

I have tried using Tamiya masking tape to do the tape and some of the archer decals to do stitches - but I am not that happy with the result, as I find the edges of the tape too sharp - I migth yet peel it off again and use very thin styrene sheet that can be sanden back instead.

Well, pics:

Below:

Upside:

And after a coat of paint - it needs to be properly preshaded etc..:

And some scratches on the fueltank - the tank is painted aluminium and a coat of hairspray is applyed to facilitated scratching the final layer off.

Any suggestions - should I keep the stitches or is it a "redo" ?

Cheers/Jan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 07:36 PM UTC
It is your build. But I ran into similar issues with the Roden 1:32 SE 5a kit and did not concern myself with the lack of surface details. The next build will be more detailed and the notes you take now will help you then. As you know there are some tapes and stitches now available from a new company that has posted here before.

As I said this is your build but remember there is always the next build to get it more detailed. Many stalled kit builds are based in redos or the builder losing interest because of situations just like this. Model On!
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 07:48 PM UTC
Hi Jan,

Your build is coming along very nicely, I do like the effect of the chipped tank and the extra detail you've put in there!

I also like the effect of the stiches – although I think it looks a bit more like "metal bands" with rivets? Probably because of the sharp edges. But personally I would have kept them and moved on, doing them differently next time

But like Stephen says it's your build, and you should be happy with it! Either way its going to look good once its finished.

Best Regards

Mikael
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 05:50 AM UTC
Time is not really an issue, it will get done, I´m enjoying every minute of this build - just got a bit bitten by research and details.

Just ordered some of these http://battlefield.eshop-zdarma.cz/index.php?s=product&id=392 so the scratched will go off again.

Cheers/jan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark, Yes - ist some kind of resin blob on the carrierfilm, so they show up nicely.

Terri, thanks - but who is that Mike guy ??

Mikael, Can´t remember where I got them, they are by Archer, and comes in different patterns.

Cheers/Jan

Sorry Jan , still trying to fig out who this Mike guy really is ? He seems to pop up every now and them just to toss in a curveball in the mix .
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 06:47 PM UTC
Thats Ok Terry - just teasing a bit

The build is currently on hold while I wait for the decal stitches to arrive - the thought of the rigging spoils my sleep at night (and at work ... )

Cheers/Jan
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 07:59 PM UTC
I think more than I will be waiting to see your impression and better images of this stitching product (My Albatros production line wing section have downed tools and refuse to do any more work till news is broken.)

Lovely build, picked up some bits I missed on mine and I thought I had scoured every pic I could find for detail.

Nice one

Keith
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 08:36 AM UTC
I have now tried out that stitching product, and must say I really cant recommend it. Even with a light airbrush the stitches disappear, leaving only the rather sharp edge of the tape - aside for that, application is a bit tedious as well.

The first attempt with Tamiya masking and archer decal rivets was much better.

Back to the old method.

Cheers/Jan
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 07:41 PM UTC
Jan,

Oh rather a shame, but thanks for posting your findings, I had hoped it would be just what we needed to give our Roden wings that extra touch, back to the drawing board then......

Look forward to your next update on your SE though.

Cheers Keith
 _GOTOTOP