_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Hello from Mexico
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
KitMaker: 182 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 04:05 PM UTC
Hello, my name is Alfredo Rubio, from Mexico, since I was a kid I started to build static models, since 19 years moved to RC, but recently I back to the plastic models, and is great all the new techniques, resin, fotoetched, weatering techniques, and a lot more things to enhace a model.

Maybe recalling the first models that I built, I built WWI models, in 1:48 and 1:72. Some of them are WWII as well, but the old days have an special magic.

Until today, 4 plastic models, the Endecker from Revell, the Dr.I from Revell too, and now the D.VII from ESCI/Ertl in 1:72, and the Airco DH 2 from Smer at 1:48.

The paper models are 2, an 1/144 DH 2 and the Bleriot XI in 1:48.

I hope to learn a lot from the members, I saw today the forum and the work of many modelers, and I still Wow-ed for the quality.

Cheers.

Al

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 04:18 PM UTC
Welcome to Aeroscale's Early Aviation forum. Pull up a chair. The coffee's on and the pastery cart is close at hand.
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 04:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome to Aeroscale's Early Aviation forum. Pull up a chair. The coffee's on and the pastery cart is close at hand.

Stephen, thanks for the welcome words, and I must to say, it is very original, OK let me to ask an Capuccino and lets talk

Cheers.

Al
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 04:37 PM UTC
Welcome to the forums Alferrdo As a matter of fact we do have capuccnio and freshly baked cookies ( I like baking cookies )

Very nice models you have there , The DH-2 papermodel what was used for the tailbooms ? Looks like match-sticks .

Don't be shy now , if you have any questions just ask , it's the greatest tool we have
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 04:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome to the forums Alferrdo As a matter of fact we do have capuccnio and freshly baked cookies ( I like baking cookies )

Very nice models you have there , The DH-2 papermodel what was used for the tailbooms ? Looks like match-sticks .

Don't be shy now , if you have any questions just ask , it's the greatest tool we have

Terri, thanks for the welcome, is a nice surprise to see a modeler girl, it is gooooooooood

The DH-2 is a paper model that came in 1/72 scale, so I reduced it to half size, the nacelle, wings and empenage is print paper, the sticks and booms are 1/32 square balsa wood, and the prop is hand sanded. The nose is a carved and sanded depron of 1/4".

I painted all the balsa in brown and grey to get a new view in the model.

About the ask, the first of all them, I wish to weatering the Dr.1 and I do not know the new techniques, I saw some videos where the modeler used dry brush, and another pastel stick paints diluited in water. The model is small, 1/72, so the weatering must to be veeeeeeery gently...I guess.

Ohhhhh!!!! let me ask some chocolat cooquies...I love them

Cheers.

Al

Both Airco´s, the smaller, 1/144 with sticks pinted, and bigger 1/48 without riggings:

wombat58
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 10:33 PM UTC
Hi Alfredo and welcome to aeroscale. I'm sure you are going to meet a lot of nice people here and they are all willing to give advice whenever needed.
That is a nice collection of models you have shown us, hope you will be showing us many more over time.

Des.

http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com
entlim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 51 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 01:49 AM UTC
Cool stuff..!
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 04:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Alfredo and welcome to aeroscale. I'm sure you are going to meet a lot of nice people here and they are all willing to give advice whenever needed.
That is a nice collection of models you have shown us, hope you will be showing us many more over time.

Des.

http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Des Delatorre, thanks for the welcome, and the nice words, and definetely is true wath you said, until I post some ask or need for advice, the answer was in minutes, I am sure i going to learn a lot here, and to share the few and oldie techniques that I learned in my youth, but I am sure are out of use

The old collection that I built in my young days, are not exist today, some few survived, and now, back to the rooths, I see a very diferent modelisme techniques. The rest of the planes do not enter in the forum, are WW2 and post war jets, and some prop fighters.

I saw few WW1 models in the web sites, but definetely more than oldie 80's. Or I need to know more marks.

Cheers.

Al
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cool stuff..!

Thanks Ed, the next is in order of Her Majesty, the Manok´s SE-5a from Roden

Cheers.

Al
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 07:29 AM UTC
Welcome Alfredo.

Stephen has been promising pastries and coffee for years. Don't hold your breath. But Terri's cookies are worth the wait.

We try to be real friendly around here. It is a great site and we all learn. Some of the builds here are amazing. But beginer or advanced, we all post pics. learn a lot, and teach alot. Most of all, we are a group of Amigos. Welcome new friend.

Great pics. I hope to see you in one of the campaigns. Campaigns and group builds are a lot of fun.

What do you have planned for your first project?
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 10:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome Alfredo.

Stephen has been promising pastries and coffee for years. Don't hold your breath. But Terri's cookies are worth the wait.

We try to be real friendly around here. It is a great site and we all learn. Some of the builds here are amazing. But beginer or advanced, we all post pics. learn a lot, and teach alot. Most of all, we are a group of Amigos. Welcome new friend.

Great pics. I hope to see you in one of the campaigns. Campaigns and group builds are a lot of fun.

What do you have planned for your first project?

Carl, thanks for the welcome... and advices, so it is a concidence that I asked for a capuccino

Definetely I am an novice, with a great WOW about the quality of works and techniques in modern models.

As you noticed, I am new and I do not know yet how the forum works, so please tell me more about the campaignes.

And the first project to post here, maybe a new model, af hoc of the forum level, I got months ago an Roden SE-5a, 1/72 scale, the plane represents Mannock´s fighter.

Cheers.

PS With???? no more coffe????? ok...ok... in Mexico´s center hour is 16.20 hours, almost the tea hour.
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 01:11 PM UTC
May I also add my welcome-a lot of very friendly people at this site. You have some very nice work there.

You are welcome to my coffee/cappuccino-a tea man myself, I never acquired a taste for it. But I'll be parked by the pastry cart.
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 01:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

May I also add my welcome-a lot of very friendly people at this site. You have some very nice work there.

You are welcome to my coffee/cappuccino-a tea man myself, I never acquired a taste for it. But I'll be parked by the pastry cart.

Dennis, now I know why the modelers are coffee lovers thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the words about the work.

Cheers.

Al
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 10:59 AM UTC
I like tea personally. But I love pastry.

On the page header is a tab named Campaigns. Click on it. Find a campaign you like. Enter. Build. And then you find yourself involved in builds you might not normally try. Builds your skills and makes building interesting.

Right now we have the WNW Group build going on. That is the biggest on right now. But there are campaigns to suit any desire.

Have fun.
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 03:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like tea personally. But I love pastry.

On the page header is a tab named Campaigns. Click on it. Find a campaign you like. Enter. Build. And then you find yourself involved in builds you might not normally try. Builds your skills and makes building interesting.

Right now we have the WNW Group build going on. That is the biggest on right now. But there are campaigns to suit any desire.

Have fun.

Carl, maybe I am an romantic in aviation history and models, but you have the right words about the feelengs that I could not say.

Since I found this forum, I have an special feeling, not to build to win an prize (I do not have prizes)now is to build to learn, not only techniques, to learn from my self, and to dyscover wath I can to do.

Yesterday I was therer for the day of work I do not let me to see more, but I saw from the first to the page 28 of this forum, and to see and to learn more of the work, I respect more the writers and modelers that share. Today to build a model, is not only to glue, paint and decals, is to make an historical model that flew in the hands of a pilot, and he did some important think, not only to fight for an ideal. And the plane was more than a tool, was a personal signature in the air.

Cheers.

Al
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2010 - 08:11 AM UTC
That is why I like to research the people. I do genealogy research on every model I emulate. When kids or grandkids see my models, I can tell them a story about what it represents. My grandson called me up to tell me he talked his mama into putting a desk in a spare room, just for him to model. I think I made an impression on him.

This is a great place to hang out. Skill is not needed to be a part of the group. But if you hang around here long enough, you will improve your skills, and learn a great deal about what we do and why we do it. I have won prizes, and originally started here for that glory. I realize that is no longer important. I want to do good on each build and improve my skills, which I have done, but that is not where the satisfaction comes from. Being here and learnng the historical importance is enough for me.
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2010 - 11:46 AM UTC
Thanks Carl, now I understand more about why to model, is like an artist learning about the old school and teachers, and to understand to Rembrant or another artist.

I going to still wathchin the other pages and I am sure, if some doubt, I feel confident to ask.

Cheers.

Al
 _GOTOTOP