_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
My Focke Wulf Fw 190
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 12:03 PM UTC
Hi everyone!
The Focke Wulf Fw 190 has been my favourite german fighter of WW 2 for long time. So I have build some in the past years, which I would like to show you in this thread. Are you interested to see them? If yes, that's fine if not, I don't care, because I will show them anyway
I will begin with the latest which I have built earlier this year. It's one half of a dual combo, the other half I will show you in the next weeks.
This is a Fw 190 A-8/R-2, a so called "Sturmbock" of 6./JG 300. The "Sturmböcke" were heavily armed and amoured to fight the myriads of incoming american bombers in 1944/45 at a very close distance of often less then 100 meters and - if neccessary - ram them. These "Sturmböcke" needed also fighter protection, which usually were high flying Bf 109.

The original aircraft was flown by Unteroffizier (Corporal) Paul Lixfeld. He achieved 2 kills before he was shot down in this aircraft on 17. December 1944. Fortunatly he could bail out and even survived the war. The weapons in this aircraft consisted of a 20 mm MG 151/20 and a 30 mm MK 108 in each wing. Both fuselage guns have been removed and covered. The aircraft probably also had the big wooden paddle propellers.

The kit is this fantastic Tamiya 1:48 one, which is very easy to assemble. Just add glue and shake The decals are from the Aeromaster sheet "Rammjäger Pt. 1". The camouflage looks very different to other german fighters of that time. I found 4 different profiles of this aircraft (Osprey, Aeromaster, 2 x Internet) and decided for the most possible in my opinion.

The main colours are RLM 74/75/76 with RLM 75 painted on the cowling and a dark grey, possibly RLM 66, painted on the fuselage sides, including the Balkenkreuz and the fuselage gun hatch. The armour ring around the engine is also painted in RLM 76, while the underside engine hatch is painted in RLM 04. The extra armour plates on both sides of the cockpit I also painted in RLM 75. The word on the left armour plate reads "Muschi", maybe the nickname of Lixfeld's girlfriend. On both sides of the cowling you can see the boar head of the "Wilde Sau" units. Maybe Lixfeld was a member of them before he joined the Sturmgruppe.

So, this is the end of our little walk around of this extraordinary aircraft. Hope you like it. If you have comments, feel free to post them

Oh, and don't use the stencils on the Aeromaster sheet, if you want to build this aircraft. They are in a dreadful german orthography ..... Tamiya's stecils are correct.

Happy modelling!
Torsten
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 01:19 PM UTC
Torsten, you do great work. A great piece of model building. Russell
doppelganger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 04:48 PM UTC
why no weathering? the landing gear look crooked? I suspect maybe the camera angle is off, I hope to post pics of my aircraft soon but it seems like photography is so crucial, so I am trying to gain knowledge here, your work looks flawless and suspect the crooked landing gear was just photo issue?I have seen video of the plane in action and they look cockeyed, so maybe thats just the way the were?
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 06:41 AM UTC
Nicely done. I never realized how large those prop blade are. They look huge!
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 09:15 AM UTC
Thanks for your comments, guys!
@Russell
Yes, this Tamiya Fw 190 goes together very well, a lot easier than the Eduard thing .... If you want to build a closed Fw 190 take Tamiya, if you want to open every hatch, then take Eduard. Thanks again!

@Dirk
These blades are really big, yes. But in the 3. photo they may seem bigger than they are, because I zoomed the model to the camera as close as I could go. But you will notice the difference to the standard blades when I post my other Fw 190.

@doppelganger
I never do weathering to my kits. If you follow my builds here in the campaign threads you will notice that they all look clean. Weathering may be "state of the art" in these years but I like to swim against the stream ....
There's nothing wrong with the main landing gear. It was slightly bend inward (correct english?). You may have noticed it in the movie you saw. But this is a problem every Fw 190 kit has, no matter what manufacturer. Wait for my next Fw 190 and see ..... Thanks again!

Torsten
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 08:53 AM UTC
Here I have the other half of this years double pack "Hundredninety" which I have built in April/May.
It's a Focke Wulf Fw 190 A-8 of the III./JG 54 (3. Group of Fighter Wing 54; JG=Jagdgeschwader=Fighter Wing) and the original aircraft was flown by Hauptmann (Captain) Rudolf Klemm. During his wartime he flew 293 missions and achieved 42 kills (16 of them were four-engine bombers)and got the Knights Cross in 1944. Being a brilliant aviator he became a civil flight instructor after the war and died in 1989 aged 71 years. Sorry, but I don't know more about him ....

.... this is the same great 1:48 Tamiya kit as the one above but in a sligtly different version. Here we don't have the extra armour plates beside the cockpit (as it is no "Sturmbock") but with fuselages guns (13 mm MG 131), and two 20 mm MG 151/20 in each wing. So still enough fire power .....

.... this picture is for Dirk. Here you see the standard propeller blades. Quite a difference to the paddle blades, right? .....

..... the camouflage is the standard RLM 74/75/76 for which have used Agama colours. RLM 24 Blue for the fuselage band (=Reichsverteidigungsband) comes from Revell. On both sides of the cockpit you can see the famous Green Hearts emblem of JG 54. The decals come from the box and from Aeromasters "Rammjäger Pt. 2" ....

..... as I mentioned earlier the only problem with all Fw 190 kits is the main landing gear and here I made a little mistake, as the left gear stands a little too much in the forward position. But I can live with that. Hope you like my little walk around this "Butcher Bird" .....

I have still 2 more standing at my flightline .....

Happy modelling
Torsten
f18fixer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 04:43 AM UTC
Nice clean build, really like the paint job on your WURGER...great job
Craig
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 05:23 AM UTC

...nice clean builds Torsten...!

doppelganger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 08:20 AM UTC
I have mixed feelings about weathering as I feel SO NERVOUS about making a mistake after all that work. the really fine examples of weathering are something I continue to strive for however my nieuport 17 will have no weathering as it has been a minor miracle that I am nearly done.
 _GOTOTOP