_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
DIII (OAW) Reborn or Mongrel Roden 1:32
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 04:32 AM UTC
Okay I went to post on the build blog I originally had on this kit. It's been a long long time and it appears locked.

Anyway Theres a turn in the tale of this here Albatros. Anyone who followed or even remembers this build might remember my few reworkings of varioau areas.

Here was the original blog.

Now after WNW's release of their splendid DV & DVa kits kornbeef got to measuring, fitting tinkering as he is one to do. Not having the nerve to send off for a ste of replacement wings he hatched a cunning plan to build a DVa in a state of dissasembly for shiping maybe..and free a set of wings up for the D.III.

First reports shwed little variation in shape and dimensions between the two kits, which just goes to show how good both are.

Okay Shut up Mr Beef and on with the pics.

One Roden heavily worked DIII (OAW) with WNW tail surfaces. As I said quite pleasing to find apart from trimming the locating tabs down, little else needed doing to get a nice fit (Till several coats of paint were applied to the fuselage.)

Decals are WNW Albatros werkes decals, Fuselage crosses from the LVG and tail crosses from the D.Va Stropp markings...guess where the wing crosses are coming from?
Datum lines are the dividing lines on the WNW decal sheet..Never throw nowt away.

drainage grommets added after scouring pics with a magnifier looking for the elusive cartidge ejection point.

Still have the fasteners to add to the cowls, suprisingly they are different to std DIII cowls, actually a little longer behind the rear cabane strut. Thers a lot of subtle differences in the structure, I should have took pics before paint as I intended but got the urge as you do and it was too late before I remembered.
Took an age to sand the spinner down to try to acheive the gap between it and the cowlings.

Cockpit, hard to see the differences between this and what Roden passed off as a D.III cockpit, I had much help from Doug Bauman and Koloman's replica build D.III and I have to thank both for their input, along with all the other fine souls with a wealth of knowledge here on Aeroscale.

So I decided to go for a fairly fresh look I dont want to cover much wood with paint. I didnt go for a grain as much as to give the impression of wood instead, Even at 1/32 I'm not wholly convinced graining is to scale..*not an excuse cos it went wrong...laughs...honest..it isnt..Oh you don't believe me?"

I was fancying Jasta 28, I think the yellow tail with black stripes would set the wood off, the other markings I'm not sure theres a pic in Ospreys Albatros Aces pt2 shows anDIII OAW at the end of the line, fuselage bands in what maybe red/white/red but I cant see from that image if the wings are camoed or lozzed. Anyone have any info on thi or another fairly simple scheme it woould be really welcome. If not then it just going to be a bit of a *well I like it look* but I would rather have a authentic profile of course.

Cheers for looking anyways and as always all comments, good bad, or advice always welcome.

Keith
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 10:31 AM UTC
Nice. I think the wood grain is convincing. It looks like a plywood fuselage to me.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 09:36 AM UTC
Keith,Looks great to me! Are you going to pin the lower wings in position? You are going really hard core sacrificing a WNW wing set for this build :-)
RAGIII
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 11:32 AM UTC
Thanks Carl

Yes Rick, I intend Brass rod pins where the lower wing main spar is and maybe another thinner pin to hold the wings snug and stop them swivelling.

As for the WNW donations, I have plans for the rest of the kit so its not much of a sacrifice. The DIII (OAW) is my favourite Albi, so its worth the sacrifice considering the work put into the rest.

K
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 07:40 PM UTC
Keith

Wow, you've been busy tinkering away with this one. Most impressive conversion job over all. Hoping to see more soon

I do think your wood looks, well just like wood actually, and very good in scale in my eyes, nice shade of honey too

Best Regards

Mikael
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 02:10 AM UTC
Most excellent job on this build so far Keith ! The cockpit looks like one could climb right in and fire her up !

Expectional wood grainning !
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 02:22 AM UTC
Hi Keith:

Looking good so far. I do like your wood grain, many different takes on wood grain, it looks convincing.

Looking forward to more pics and progress.

Best

Mark
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 09:03 PM UTC
Boo.......

Just got what I need to push this build closer to home. Pheon Loz decals and Oh my word are they so so so yummy.

Only trouble is after working on the D.II, I see a lot of detail missing from the OAW that needs attending too first. Now my choice of scheme has been extended... to infinity Oh My!

Keith
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 10:50 AM UTC
Keith , I just love your wood graining , you really know how to capture this very well in this scale
 _GOTOTOP