_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Encore 1:32 Albatros D.II
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 04:51 AM UTC
Never one to finish something before starting the next, Ive actually had this one sitting a while, but while waiting for the oils to dry on the OAW I started.

At first intending a pretty OOB build I just couldnt help wanting to add a few extras...I need dscpline Why I do it I dunno...madness but always wanting to try something different, this is my approach this time. Pod building!

Shaved and sanded out all the structure, huge locating tabs and filled the ejector pin marks.

Spent hours tinkering checking pics and Kolomars replica build which he has going. after mucho discussion (and ongoing confusion..on my part at least) here about rudder cabling routes I found the info.

Cockpit *pod* in fuselage, I'm hoping this method works, in my head it seems a good idea as all details can be added to the pod before it is popped into place...*In my head it works*...nuff said

Radiator mod...after trying to find mesh etc to show the elephant ears rads in anything like they were on my DI build I went for the wing located rad. Just to be different i adsed out a rectangle in the wing top, lined it with lengths of rod then covered it with the ever so delicate Tomsworks radiator shroud then topped it with one of Eduards with the rad section removed. It sits in a hole in the wing of course, I'm hoping to open down the sides of the rad to show this a little.

Anyway... I have a few bits from my OAW build that can be used...superdetailing it before realising the controls and things were wrong.

Thanks for peeking, any comments are of course welcome

Ta Keith
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 10:42 AM UTC
Interior and radiator look fantastic. Do you have links to the references for the interior?
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 12:58 PM UTC
I do Carl yes, I'm sure you know it already though, Kolomars replica build, he is just on with the DII now. But theres some wonderful structure and detail shots.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/replica-aircraft/35610-albatros-d-ii-d-iii-news.html

Other than that its Windsock files for the DI & DII the Albatros Special and a Schiffer booklet on the DII by Rudolf Hofling.

Thanks for the compliment Carl. this way seems like a good idea at the moment, further down the line I might be cursing...time will tell.

;)

Continuing the build here.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 09:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Never one to finish something before starting the next, Ive actually had this one sitting a while, but while waiting for the oils to dry on the OAW I started.

At first intending a pretty OOB build I just couldnt help wanting to add a few extras...I need dscpline Why I do it I dunno...madness but always wanting to try something different, this is my approach this time. Pod building!

Shaved and sanded out all the structure, huge locating tabs and filled the ejector pin marks.

Spent hours tinkering checking pics and Kolomars replica build which he has going. after mucho discussion (and ongoing confusion..on my part at least) here about rudder cabling routes I found the info.

Cockpit *pod* in fuselage, I'm hoping this method works, in my head it seems a good idea as all details can be added to the pod before it is popped into place...*In my head it works*...nuff said

Radiator mod...after trying to find mesh etc to show the elephant ears rads in anything like they were on my DI build I went for the wing located rad. Just to be different i adsed out a rectangle in the wing top, lined it with lengths of rod then covered it with the ever so delicate Tomsworks radiator shroud then topped it with one of Eduards with the rad section removed. It sits in a hole in the wing of course, I'm hoping to open down the sides of the rad to show this a little.

Anyway... I have a few bits from my OAW build that can be used...superdetailing it before realising the controls and things were wrong.

Thanks for peeking, any comments are of course welcome

Ta Keith

Looks fantastic! As for the method of assembly, similar to, if a little less radical , Brad cancians build. Worked for him, should be OK for you!
RAGIII
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 07:52 PM UTC
Keith – great scratchbuilding of the cockpit, I like it a lot! Also think your rad work looks teriffic.

Have you got a profile in mind?

Best Regards

Mikael
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 02:01 AM UTC
The add on's in the pit are excellent Keith
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 11:18 AM UTC
Hi Keith:

Looking good so far. I built this last spring and enjoyed it a lot. Yours is coming along quite nicely. I will be looking forward to more postings to see how you tackle some of the areas.

Best

Mark
 _GOTOTOP