_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Encore F.I Voss
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 09:45 AM UTC
I hope these photos come through. It's been a while since I've done this.

This is my interpretation of Ltn. Werner Voss and his Fokker F.I triplane. It is the completed Encore kit produced by Squadron. It consists of the Roden model with supplemented resin, Eduard photoetch, Cartograph decals and a resin figure.

This is my first Roden kit after experience with Avis, Special Hobby and BattleAxe models. I found it a very enjoyable build. I build it pretty much out of the box as directed by the instructions. I used all the photoetch and resin. The latter parts corrected some of the apparent errors in the Roden kit, including the lip on the lower cowling. However, I found that I couldn’t fit the finished engine in the cowling without removing the lip. I replaced it after mounting both on the firewall.

dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 09:49 AM UTC
javascript:PasteSmiley(':(')Odd-nothing happened. I'll try again.

This is my interpretation of Ltn. Werner Voss and his Fokker F.I triplane. It is the completed Encore kit produced by Squadron. It consists of the Roden model with supplemented resin, Eduard photoetch, Cartograph decals and a resin figure.

This is my first Roden kit after experience with Avis, Special Hobby and BattleAxe models. I found it a very enjoyable build. I build it pretty much out of the box as directed by the instructions. I used all the photoetch and resin. The latter parts corrected some of the apparent errors in the Roden kit, including the lip on the lower cowling. However, I found that I couldn’t fit the finished engine in the cowling without removing the lip. I replaced it after mounting both on the firewall.

dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 09:51 AM UTC
Sometimes you just cant win...

O well-the pictures are in the photogallery.

Sorry that I can't make this workjavascript:PasteSmiley('|:(')
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 10:21 AM UTC
I have this kit, and have been giving some real consideration to starting it, even though I have about 6-7 builds stalled on my desktop right now. I think it is a wonderful kit, as I have done the Roden kit twice already. The Encore kit really is a wonderful repackage.

You did a real nice job on your build. I really like how you matched the scrapes on your build to the picture of the original.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 08:52 PM UTC
I have to agree with Carl, a good eye for small details. Lovely build and I'm glad you enjoyed it, something of a dream compared to a Battleaxe I think?

Keith
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 03:45 AM UTC
Carl:

Hello from across the Ohio River.

Thank you for you kind comments. The streaking doesn't show up well on the images that finally appear in the postings. I used oils (olive green-a little dark) and a fan brush. The latter looks like it lowered the contrast in the streaks. I think next time I'll use a rake/comb brush.

I would consider starting This kit. The resin replacement parts really enhance it.
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 03:52 AM UTC
Keith:

I appreciate your looking at the pictures and your kind comments. I would like to post the picture that shows the patches and worn areas, but I'm afraid of what would happen.

A pleasant change from the BattleAxe builds doesn't begin to describe the difference. Certainly my wrists are not sore from grinding and sanding needed with the BattleAxe.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 08:38 PM UTC
Hi Dennis,

Nice build of yours, I do like the interior – If you think Roden is a dream in comparison to BA, then you should also try a WingNutWings kit – there is even less sanding with them (Though, I do like both Roden and WNW very much, but for different reasons).

Best Regards

Mikael
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 01:34 AM UTC
nothing wrong with the build Dennis ! You did a fine job on your triplane , pit looks really nice Streaking is also nicely done .

Any kit is better than the BA kits . If you survive a BA build , you are truely a master .

Thanks for sharing your build with us
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 07:52 AM UTC
Thanks Mikael and Terri for taking the time to look and encouraging an old man.

Mikael-I have use Part PE in the past but I was very impressed with the Eduard frets that came with this kit; particularly the pre-painted dials and belts. I have some WNW kits that I keep in “a place of honor” in the stash. I was going to start the Junkers but I decided to do the McCudden’s SE5a to compliment the triplane. Either the Junkers or the Bristol will follow.

Terri-you are as always too kind. You always see the flaws after you look at your finished model, ut I will keep at it. Someday mine will compare to yours.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 11:15 AM UTC
Hi Dennis:

I think your model turned out real nice. It is a nice clean build. I too like the Roden kits, I did build the DR-1 and have toyed with getting this one, I just might the next time I see it in the Squadron Catalog. I build their Albatros D-II and liked it very much. Thanks for posting your pictures.
Keep at it, it just gets better.

Best
Mark
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 11:27 AM UTC
Mark:

Thanks for checking out the photos. I very much appreciate your comments. I would certainly pick it up if it goes on sale. I am tempted to pick up the Boelcke Alb. D.II on sale this month.

I have started the McCudden SE 5a. I would like to do a build log but for the time being I have to borrow the camera from work. The motor is a kit unto itself. I'll see about some picts after I finish it (if they'll load).
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 08:08 AM UTC
I just ordered 2 more of the Encore Dr.Is to take my total up to three. Beautiful kit. Well worth the $62.95 at Greatmodels.
 _GOTOTOP