_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WiP - Mirage 1/48 Halberstadt CL.II
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 12:38 AM UTC
Hi all,

It has been a while since I was last at the bench... this has been due to a number of things like being overseas for a while... all in all it has been light on modelling wise since end of May... anyways I decided to start back afresh with something straight out of the box and thought I would share some progress pics. I chose the Mirage 1/48 Halberstadt CL.II - the kit is very comprehensive and highly detailed - reminiscent of Eduard kits in terms of all of the goodies you get inside the box.... should be a fun build.

I decided to start this one a little more backwards than I usually do - instead of tackling the interior first I decided to lozenge the wings, as I finally managed to get hold of some Future floor polish to try as a clear gloss (and yes, the stuff is made of liquid awesome). I chose the kit scheme that I wanted, and got straight into it.

First up was cleaning and glossing the wings in preparation for the lozenge decals. I decided to use a combination of Eagle Strike lozenge for the upper surfaces, and Microsculpt for the lower (I could have used microsculpt for the uppers, but I think the colours are a little too light and a little off, I much prefer the Eagle Strike stuff).

CL.II's had their lozenge applied at a 45 degree angle. Careful measuring and cutting helped here. The rib tapes were also cut individually and applied over the ribs. Edging around the flying surfaces was also done with individually cut slices of lozenge and applied with lots of patience and lots of decal softener! All in all this process took about a week with a couple of hours a night. It was all sealed in with a coat of future.

Next came application of national / personal markings. The kit decals are VERY thin, and the white stripes were translucent, so I applied another white decal over the top of them. Again another coat of future to seal.

Then the fun part - texturing. I oversprayed the flying surfaces with highly thinned gunze "sail colour", in order to tone down the bright colours. Then I applied Tamiya "smoke" over the rib positions. I followed this with a light oil filter, streaked in the direction of the airflow to add some extra texture. This was the first time I tried it and it came out ok. Sealed it all in with a coat of clear flat.

So far, so good! Feedback and criticisms always welcomed!

BC
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 12:51 AM UTC
Hi Brad

Very, very nice – You're off to an excellent start there! I have a set of wings for my WNW DVa, Lozenged and ready for some after treatment – this demonstration came in very handy

Thank You for sharing

Best Regards

Mikael
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 07:39 AM UTC
Exellent Brad!

Starting with the wings is a great way to change things up and keeep the build "fresh".
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 09:12 AM UTC
Hi Brad!
This a wonderful start!
Your lozange are beautiful: I only hope to get close to your results....
ciao
Edo
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 05:53 AM UTC
I'm really looking forward to seeing what you turn up with the cockpit and engine

Super job on the lozenge Brad
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 03:20 AM UTC
Hi Brad:

I too have been a modeling hiatis since about May as well. Seeing your work and the sequence you chose for this kit is both striking as to the work, and as Stephen wrote, keeps it Fresh. Looking forward to more pics.

Best.

Mark
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 04:28 AM UTC
I think it's a very beautiful subject & nicely excecuted until now

Cheers Nick
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY