_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Lindbergh 1:48 Bristol Bulldog
BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 06:42 AM UTC
Here are some pix of my just completed 1/48 scale Bristol Bulldog. This is the Lindbergh reissue of the old Inpact kit. Decals are from Model Alliance's "Silver Wings" set.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 09:26 AM UTC
Beautiful. Hey this is Early Aviation. And the Bulldog dates from 1927.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Bulldog
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 10:27 AM UTC
Wonderful build.
Greenonions
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 74 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 10:32 AM UTC
Bloody Lovely!And it's got rigging!
wombat58
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 10:39 AM UTC
Absolutely stunning, the finish on this model is beautiful, very well done.

Des.

http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 10:47 AM UTC
Certainly is a stunning job.
BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 03:18 PM UTC
Thank you everyone, for your very generous remarks.

Cheers!

Karl
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 09:00 PM UTC
A beautifl job. RAF planes around this era really were quite striking. Plus it's lovely to see something other than WWI posted as much as I love that era myself.

Thanks for sharing.

Keith
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 07:07 AM UTC

Great looking build Karl. The finish is outstanding.

Best

Mark
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A beautifl job. RAF planes around this era really were quite striking. Plus it's lovely to see something other than WWI posted as much as I love that era myself.

Very nice finishing on this colorful Bulldog

I personally like the Hawker Fury very much

Cheers Nick
-RLWP-
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 33 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 08:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful. Hey this is Early Aviation. And the Bulldog dates from 1927.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Bulldog

That's OK it says "thru 1934" at the top of the forum

What a beauty that Bulldog is. There's a beautiful pointlessness about those inter-war biplanes expressed best in the Hawker Hart (in my opinion)

Richard
BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Very nice finishing on this colorful Bulldog

I personally like the Hawker Fury very much

Cheers Nick

Yes, I like the Fury too.

Oh, who am I kidding? Honestly, it would be very difficult for me to name an interwar airplane I don't like. My first aviation love is WWI, but lately I am finding interwar aircraft to be just as, if not even more, interesting. If only aircraft of the '20s and '30s were as popular as WWI among plastic model manufacturers! Accurate Miniatures and Classic Airframes made a start, but now they are both defunct, and even before they went the way of the dodo, I recall reading somewhere that Jules Bringeur said he would never bring out another interwar airplane kit--they just weren't big sellers. Lately though, Silverwings and Rest have given us interwar 1/48 scale enthusiasts cause for celebration--may they continue to thrive and hopefully provide inspiration to others!

Thanks for all your positive comments on the Bulldog. The project got off to a rocky start. I had an old Pyro boxing of the kit sitting in the stash for years, but when I was ready to start building it, I discovered the wings were short shot and unusable, so it went back into the stash, waiting for that mythical time in the future when I would scratch build a set of wings for it (yeah, right!). Then about a year ago I was in one of the very few LHS left in my area when I saw the Lindbergh reissue sitting on their shelf--the price was right so I snapped it up. Later, at home, I noticed the decals didn't look very good, so into the stash it went. What finally got me motivated to build the kit was the beautiful "Silver Wings" decal sets from Model Alliance--so many great choices, but in the end I had to go with Sir Douglas Bader's machine, both for the colors and the historical significance.

BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 09:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Lately though, Silverwings and Rest have given us interwar 1/48 scale enthusiasts cause for celebration--may they continue to thrive and hopefully provide inspiration to others!

Oops, I forgot to mention Aeroclub, A-Model's new Moths, and the occasional Planet Models 1/48th scale interwar kit. I suppose Roden qualifies too with their late DH-4 and Brisfit kits. Maybe things ARE looking up for 1/48 scale interwar aircraft modelers!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 11:31 AM UTC
Super clean finish on your bulldog . Thanks for sharing it with us.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 07:42 PM UTC
Hi Karl,

Excellent work! Did you make some modifications to the original kit apart from the decals?

Jean-Luc
BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 01:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Karl,

Excellent work! Did you make some modifications to the original kit apart from the decals?

Jean-Luc

Thank you, Jean-Luc!

The model is pretty much OOB. The TEs were a bit thick, so I sanded them down, and there were some sink and ejection pin marks that needed to be filled in. The windscreen required quite a bit of carving and filing before it fit properly. I added seat belts (I'm not big into interior detailing--if it can't be seen easily when sitting in the display cabinet, I'm not going to spend time on it). I used Evergreen rod for the fuel lines--can't remember exactly why, but I didn't like the kit parts. I also replaced the little bracing struts at the wing roots with Contrail strut stock--the kit struts were grossly over scale. I replaced the four kit supplied "masts" on the top wing--the kit items are too short and all the same length. Bulldog photos show the outer radio antenna masts are taller than the inner "masts" (I'm guessing those inner masts may actually be fuel tank vent pipes?). The kit is molded with holes for all the rigging wires, but they're much too big, so I filled them in with stretched sprue, then drilled new rigging holes with a number 80 bit. I used nylon fishing line for the rigging.

Considering its age, it is a very nice kit--a bit sparse on engine and cockpit detail compared to today's standards, but the depiction of fabric over ribs and longerons is very nice--some of today's cutting edge kit manufacturers could learn from it.

Karl
BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 01:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Super clean finish on your bulldog . Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks Terri!

I've been learning and taking inspiration from all the knowledge and great models posted here all the time, so I'm glad I could finally share something with the group.

Karl
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hi again Karl,

Thanks a lot for the extra explanation. I will keep my eyes open for the kit and if I can find one I will buy it right away. You really did a splendid job on it.

Jean-Luc
BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 12:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi again Karl,

Thanks a lot for the extra explanation. I will keep my eyes open for the kit and if I can find one I will buy it right away. You really did a splendid job on it.

Jean-Luc

Thanks for your very generous praise of my model. I have to admit I am pleased with it too.

Inpact released four 1/48 scale kits of British interwar aircraft--the Bristol Bulldog, Gloster Gladiator, Hawker Fury, and Fairey Flycatcher. Over the years the molds have been bought and sold several times, and it is possible to find these kits under the Inpact, Lifelike, Pyro, and Lindbergh brand names. The Lindbergh kits are the most recent reissues.

All of the former Inpact kits are similar to the Bulldog in style and quality--the engines are rather plain, the cockpits are quite bare, some of the smaller parts are kind of chunky, but from everything I've ever heard about the kits, they are all basically accurate in outline, and the depiction of fabric over interior framework is very well done. In other words, they provide a good foundation for making a very nice model with just a little extra effort. All four of these kits are worth seeking out, in any of the various boxes they've appeared in over the years. Supposedly the LifeLike boxings are most desirable because they contained the most accurate decals, but honestly, those decals will be about 40 years old now, so what are the chances they will still be any good? And now with Model Alliance's lovely "Silver Wings" sheets, there is no reason at all to worry about having to use the old kit decals.
 _GOTOTOP