_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Berthold's Pfalz D.IIIa
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 07:33 PM UTC
Good morning

While waiting for the putty to dry I picked up another old project that was nearly done. Basically I only needed to add struts and top wing plus decals. Well I decided to refurbish it a bit and corrected the red blue demarcation. I also added the rigging to the top wing. Still there are questions about some aspects of this aircraft. I already searched a bit on The Aerodrome, but could not find what i need.

1. Silver: I understand the struts should be silver, but what about the center section of the lower wing (respectively fuselage underside between the wings) which should be red according to instructions but with the moved demarcation it does not really make sense.
Also the profile in Pfalz aces indicates that the lower rear fuselage and elevators should be silver. I could not confirm that with the picture on The A/D but the lower elevator surfaces cannot be seen (sadly I do not have the D.IIIa Datafile) though it looks like the fuselage has no silver underside while the a/c behind it has.

2. The artwork on the box indicates that here is a rigging wire outside of the interplane struts, the instructions don't show these.

Thanks in advance

all the best

Steffen
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 07:52 PM UTC
Good morning Steffen,

I'm not familiar with this exact Pfalz, so I can't comment on the markings – but I think I know the answer to your question 2.

The rigging line I think you're describing, is a modification to strengten the outer wings. As I recall it was recomended to add extra support after some bad accidents in service – so two wires were added from the lower wing to the upper, outside the wingstrut...

Hope this answers some of your queerie – I'm sure someone else here knows more of the markings.

Best Regards

Mikael
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 08:49 PM UTC
Thanks Mikael, now I have to find out if my crate should have this wire...

Here is a pic so far, nothing spectacular, but I like the colours

Still this is no main project but just a side kick for spare time, now I start sanding the Albatros D.III

all the best

Steffen
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 05:38 PM UTC
Greeting Stefan,

I hope you have had time for this build.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2011 - 04:16 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

Nope, it still rests in the box ... I think I will scrap that project as I did not find suitable reference for that aircraft. I bought a Pfalz D.III cheap at our annual show in Berlin-Gatow and I think I will do Bertholds D.III with the symmetrical sword instead. As I have another kit for Degelows silver stag... for the moment I have some jets to do so my WW1 branch is lacking workers
When I get back to early aviation I will proceed with my Halberstadt Cl.II ..

all the best

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP