_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WWI Aircraft first build suggestions?
17rocket
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 05:33 AM UTC
Hello all.

I've been following all of the excellent comments on this site and wanted to pose a question. I'm a figure modeler specializing in the Great War and have for some time wanted to try my hand at WW1 aircraft. I am a novice at model building, my experience limited to Frank Luke's 1/28 Revell Spad over thirty years ago. The thought of rigging is frightening, but in spite of this I'd like to give it a shot. What I'd like to know is what would be a good first build to get my feet wet? I place myself in your capable hands.

Thanks!

Pete
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 06:12 AM UTC
There are a considerable number of individuals who have built a larger number of kits for a longer duration than I, but I can offer a couple of suggestions.

Decide on a scale: Some build at 1/72, most build at 1/48, but many old folks such as myself like to work in the larger 1/32 (54 mm). The latter cost more, but allow for greater detailing. The most popular manufacturers are Roden, Eduard and Wing Nut Wings (WNW)-all have web sites for your perusal.

Break yourself in gently regarding the rigging. Start with a Fokker DVII or a Dr1. The cantilever wings require minimal rigging, and the struts seem to be easier to work with. German Albatroses and French Nieuports have some rigging, but are relatively straight forward. Avoid British planes to start with (except maybe a Sopwith Triplane).

All of the above represents my opinion only. The bottom line is to enjoy yourself.

Hope this helps.
plastickjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 399 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 06:15 AM UTC
I'm mostly a WWII guy but recently the early aviation bug bit me and the infection seems to be growing! I too have become very cautious about the
"rigging fear" but I'm ready to deal with this issue. I think you should try something like a 1/48 or 1/32 scale Fokker Tri Wing. The rigging is only four wires and will be an easier build than the older 1/28 Revell kits. I'm doing the old 1/28 Revell DR1 right now and the more I dig the more errors and missing details I find in it. It does lend itself to a delightful scratchbuilding project. Roden makes some very nice kits in the larger 1/32 scale. Eduard is very good too at 1/48 and 1/72, but the best are the Wingnut Wings from Australia. They have incredible details! I was lucky enough to pick up the SE5 at a local show and was blown away at the level of detail that this company packs in their models.
Alastair
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dubayy, United Arab Emirates
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 06:49 AM UTC
i started with the wingnut wings J1 - it took some time but with patience you will get a beautiful (if large model) only control cables for the rigging. The good thing about WW builds is they don't have many if any vices. very well molded and good instructions and good in the box reference..

i then moved to a roden Dr1 and followed with the DIII and a WW se5a - i wish i had done that one later!! still came out ok. Doing the WW sopwith pup now - really nice kit...looking forward to and dreading the rigging challenge at the same time.

i tried a 1/48 DVII and struggled - 1/32 rocks for WW1 - and with the colours they make for an amazing display in that scale (IMOH!)

also buying the right rigging material (little cars or Aeroclub) and locking forceps really helps the process....

Used to only build WWII but now i am hooked on biplanes.. more challenging in some ways but still being methodical and studying the subject really does bring a new level of enjoyment and satisfaction to my model making.

i have a Pfalz DIII, LVG and a WW DV on the way and i cannot wait - rigging and all!!
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 07:15 AM UTC
Hello Pete,

This depends a bit to what scale you want to work in... A 1:32 builder myself I would suggest Rodens Fokker DR1 or Fokker F1 to start with.

Riggging is minimal, they are pretty "easy" to assmble – and you've got some very nice colourscehmes to chose from.

Also if you want to try your hands on something not quite as expensive – the Hobbycraft Nieuport 17 is a good kit to start with.

Its pretty inexpensive, very straightforward to build, though more rigging than the Fokkers, its still pretty light in this department. The kit does have some issues of accuracy, but there are now some good aftermarket sets from Mastercasters that take care of some of these. Just a word of caution – The Decals of the kit are not too good...

By the way – rigging is actually not too hard once you start – but I would agree with what the others are saying here  – steer clear of british planes till you've got some more rigging experience...

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Mikael

17rocket
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 09:50 AM UTC
Many thanks for the great--and quick--responses. I'll definitely heed the advice to avoid anything British until I get some flight hours, so to speak. If I can figure out how to upload the photos, I'll post my build as it proceeds. Again, Thanks to Dennis, Ernie, Alastair, and Mikael for sharing your collective wisdom.

Pete

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 12:40 PM UTC
Hi Pete !

Welcome to the stringbaggers . As for kit's pretty much what the guy's have said . Eduard kits are a great starting point for someone who is just getting into WW 1 modeling . Like the guy;s have said , becare on those British aircraft . The rigging can send some one batty until you get a few behind your belt .

Here is a list of Eduard kit's which are great for the beginner ....

Pfalz D.III/a
Roland C.II
Nieuport 17 , 11 , 16
Hanriot HD -1
Fokker Dr.1
Fokker E.V
Fokker D.VII
Albatros D.II , D.III , D.V/a , 153 and 253 series

Ones which the rigging will be the most challage

Airco DH-2
Bristrol fighter

Roden has a nice selection ranging from 72 to 32 scale . They do need a little more skill then the Eduard kit's

Any of the Fokker D.VII kit's in 48 scale

Fokker Dr.1 / F.1 in 32 scale
Fokker D.VI in 32 scale
SSW D.III in 32 scale
Albatros D.III in 32 scale
Sopwith Triplane in 32 scale .

Other manfuctures you can have a peek at are Special Hobby who have kit's in 48 scale and 32 scale . Bluemax , these are a limited run type kit but once you gain some experience they are worth it . Fly has a few as well Macchi M-5 and the Roland D.vIb/a , Mirage kit of the Halberstadt CL.II

Then there is WNW , Pup , Albatros D.V , Junkers

17rocket
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 05:43 PM UTC
Thanks for the list, Teri. You've given me some great options. I hope to have something to post in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again!

Pete
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 07:54 PM UTC
Hi Pete,

Be careful its addictive, I only came here to ask questions too once

Welcome, to what I think is one of the best forums around.

Oh and I think everyone above said more than I cam about kits worth starting with. It really depends which scale you want to try first and cost.

All the best
Keith
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 02:07 AM UTC
The first WWI build is an important choice. You want to get something you can build and be proud of, while avoiding some of the things that are scary to our genre. Rigging scares a lot of people. It is not hard to do, just tedious. So try something with minimal rigging.

Kits are an important factor also. I reccomend kits that are well fitting and build up easily. In 1/48th, Eduard fits this requirement nicely. There are other manufacturers that put out great kits. But I am partial to Eduard because they just go together well. In 32nd scale Roden and WNW are recomendations. If you have good eysight, I would start you off in 48th scale. If you are a little older, 32nd scale is probably better. I like both, and still build both.

Reccomendations in 48th scale:
Eduard Roland C.2
Eduard Fokker D.VII
Eduard Fokker Dr.I
Eduard Fokker E.V / D.VIII
Eduard Albatros D.V / D.Va

The Roland offers a colorful subject with minimal rigging. The Fish scheme will require some decal skill. But it is worth the effort.I am giving some serious thought to doing another one of these in the fish scheme for the 2 seater campaign. I also did one of these for the other 2 seater campaign. It is not as finely detailed as some of their other kits, but it is up to modern standards and fits together quite well.

The Fokker D.VII and Dr.I can be done in the streaked schemes with some really outlandish personal decorations. Additionally, the D.VII can have lozenge added to elevate the color scale to OMG. They go together very well and have minimal rigging. The D.VII are not as simple as the Dr.I, but can be done by a newbie without to much difficulty. I just finished the Dr.I and I have to say, it is probably the kit I would have to reccomend as a first build. You can pick up the dual kit, and you wont be disapointed.

The E.V is reall a good aircraft to practice balancing that top wing in place. It goes together better than any othe Eduard kit I have tried. The schemes range from bland to somewhat colorful. The Polish decal scheme has a lot of red and white. I think this is probably the single best kit for a first timer.

The Albatros D.V requires a medium dose of rigging, but the color schemes are some of the most gaudy available. My personal favorite aircraft. Just check out the Jasta 5 project here in Early Aviation. Jasta 5 decals will become available this Spring. I have 10 of these kits in my closet awaiting these decals now. If you want to pick one kit that you can build over and over again, and not get tired of, this is it.

British schemes tend to be bland and require more rigging. There are a few that rival the German schemes for outlandish schemes though. Check out the F2.b Brisfish and crocodile. These kits tend to be much more difficult, and I would not reccomend them to first timers. I would highly reccomend them to somebody with a few builds to their credit though.

The Pfalz is Terri's favorite. She reccomends it to everybody. And she does make them look good. They are pretty much like the Albatros in rigging and colorful schemes. I have not built it, but I do have it and it looks great.

Eduard also makes a line of Nieuports. They are great. They come in some really nice schemes. It has a little bit of rigging that takes a little time, but is do-able by a first timer. The Eduard kits are simply fantastic in this line. Not difficult to build and they look good finised. (The kit I consider to be my single best build is one of these Nieuports) Probably a good choice for a second or third build.

And that is just in 1/48th. If you want to try a larger scale. Rodens Albatros D.III or Fokker Dr.I. Their Albatros D.III was the kit of the year a few years ago, and they released a D.III (OAW) recently. I think these are within your skill level and suitable for your first WWI build. If you like those, check out Wingnut Wings for a second WWI build.

Don't overdo yourself on a first build. Go simple. Finishing a simple build is much better than struggling through a difficult build. Simple builds can look great and convey a great sense of pride. The experience from a simple build can build confidence that will lead to accomplishing more difficult builds in the future. So have fun, and welcome to the wonderful world of stringbags.
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 02:40 AM UTC
Hi Pete, guess I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Soon, I'm going to start my first WWI effort as well, and I did quite a lot of research for the selection of a suitable kit.

Finally, I decided on a 1/48 Eduard Albatros D.III Weekend edition for these reasons:

1) The many authors who have penned reviews of the kit almost universally agree its a good beginners kit.
2) The kits quality and low cost are hard to beat.
3) I can see and feel parts in 1/48
4) The editions decal option that I have boasts a beautiful varnished wood finish, which I really want to try. Never done that before.
5) The rigging looks achievable.
6) Everyone likes an Albatros

Just my 2 cents cdn worth.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 03:49 PM UTC
Somuch has happened to the hobby in a year's time I wonder if there are any second thoughts on a kit for the first time builder?
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 08:20 PM UTC
WNW 1/32 Gotha G.IV. It can only get easier from there..
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 - 03:42 AM UTC
Perhaps the WNW Pfalz DIIIa – if you're not too afraid of rigging and want to build 1:32-

Mikael
 _GOTOTOP