_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Hannants Hacked.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 02:25 AM UTC
Head's up folks.

On line shop chopped.
-RLWP-
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 33 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 03:48 AM UTC
Just to confirm that this is real, our card has been stopped because someone tried to take over the account. Fortunately they failed the security check, they were aiming to transfer several thousand ponds from our account, and change the address and contact details.

Do check your account if you have used the new Hannants website as it seems that whoever does this could have your card number, name, address and possibly more.

Richard
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 03:51 AM UTC
Intersesting

– This explains why my bank contacted me yesterday about suspicious activity... The card is now canceled, and a new one will be issued – no harm done to me, but really annoying none the less...

BTW I use a separate account and card for my internet buys, so even if I get scammed the damage will not be severe, this might be worth considering if you don't already do it this way.

Mikael
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 04:03 AM UTC
Dang, just when I was about to start building again after a long break, this happens! Ordered some goodies for a 1/48 Mustang build two weeks ago. Two days ago, my bank called me due to suspiciuos purchases in the US (approx USD 200 at a place called JJ Store). The bank urged me to cancel my card immediately (which I did) and assured me that I would not be charged for the purchases. I do hope that they adhere to their promise!

And I do hope that I get my Mustang details soon!!

What twisted mind targets the modeling community!?!

Cheers! // PolarBear
metalgear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Argentina
KitMaker: 50 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hi Guys

Visa contacted me yesterday asking about a Hotel fee in USA ( I live in Argentina ) so they cancel my card and send me a new one.
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 04:25 AM UTC
i used them on sunday and so far everything has been fine but i've just cancelled the card to be on the safe side.

paul
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 05:21 AM UTC
Hi all,

I had to cancel my card as well. Someone used it's number to do teleshopping.

A third attempt failed fortunately. I will see someone at my bank on friday and I hope I will get my money back (about 230€)...

I filled a complaint at the police and wrote a mail to Hannants to inform them.

Jean-Luc
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 06:47 AM UTC
Important to point out that it was apparently a clearing bank,not Hannants that was hacked. The bank (unamed so far) acts for many small businesses. Hannants up front and honest response,I'm sure many of you received the same emails that I did, is to their credit.
These things happen,I'm one of the "victims" although I will be refunded the £150 pounds of the fraudulent transaction. I'll certainly be using Hannants again...just as soon as I get my new card.
Steve
-RLWP-
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 33 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 06:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Important to point out that it was apparently a clearing bank,not Hannants that was hacked. The bank (unamed so far) acts for many small businesses. Hannants up front and honest response,I'm sure many of you received the same emails that I did, is to their credit.
These things happen,I'm one of the "victims" although I will be refunded the £150 pounds of the fraudulent transaction. I'll certainly be using Hannants again...just as soon as I get my new card.
Steve

I agree with all that Steve, Hannants have behaved very professionally, and I intend to use them again in the future

Richard
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 - 10:55 PM UTC
Indeed,I have seen people saying things like "I'll never use my credit card on line again". This is ridiculous as a credit card is probably the safest way to pay online. I haven't seen one person say that they are liable for a fraudulent transaction,it's the banks problem not ours.
I bet the same people wouldn't think twice about handing their cards to a waiter who then disappears in the rear of the restaurant for a few minutes.
I've been "done" maybe three times in the last few years,every time the credit card company has picked it up and telephoned me but Hannants are the only retailer who has contacted me advising of a problem. I take my hat off to them.
Cheers
Steve.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 04:59 PM UTC
As originator of the post I tend to agree. Hannants has responded to the issue admirably. It was their own notification to the modeling community that set a standard that any company can be proud of. Though it came from their end and their bank they did not try to lay blame elsewhere but simply wanted their customers to know what had happened and the adverse effect it could have. Not their fault - but they shouldered the responsibility of their customers trust. Nicely done I say.
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As originator of the post I tend to agree. Hannants has responded to the issue admirably. It was their own notification to the modeling community that set a standard that any company can be proud of. Though it came from their end and their bank they did not try to lay blame elsewhere but simply wanted their customers to know what had happened and the adverse effect it could have. Not their fault - but they shouldered the responsibility of their customers trust. Nicely done I say.

I have to agree with Stephen re Hannants response, i've also emailed Hannants to that effect. A lot of praise needs to go to the various credit card companies out there too. I had a call from mine re a 72 pence transaction they thought dodgy. This is on a card i use exclusivley for online purchases.

Andy
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 05:42 AM UTC
Hi Gang,i also got the e-mail - lets just hope that if they catch the "gits" (post kept clean for family viewing !) the book gets thrown at them for all the trouble they`ve caused
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 09:50 PM UTC
I agree with the comments made with regards to Hannants being up front about the problem. So much so that I placed and order over the phone with them on Saturday the person on the end of the phone was ever so helpful apologetic over the problem he even was told it would be posted today only to receive an email Saturday evening to tell me my order has been dispatched.

Despite the problem my faith in this company has not faltered
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 03:01 AM UTC
Over the last few days an awful lot of people (friends/colleagues) seem to have had their credit cards compromised. Most of them have certainly never dealt with Hannants or any other online hobby store.
I suspect there has been a massive breach of security somewhere up the banking chain and yet have seen nothing in the press or any other media. It makes you think.
Steve
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 09:26 PM UTC
I spoke to soon as I have just had a call from my bank for a £1.40 charge to a on-line store in the US so I've cancelled my card.

The last time I ordered from Hannants on-line was a couple of years ago and they are saying it's only effecting those that set up card details on the new site.

I could be that the banks are trying to keep it quiet? especially with the way the world finances are at the moment
AlanL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 11:46 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

There is still an issue with this. My card got hacked into in the last couple of days, just small amounts but probably a test run.

I had asked the bank to keep an eye on activity and they blocked most of the attempted transactions and contacted me and cancelled the card.

Must be working their way down the list.

Al
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 10:08 PM UTC
I noticed small transactions as well... luckily I have a prepaid card!
 _GOTOTOP