Modern aircraft of the United States.
Best 1/48 F-14A for IRIAF?
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 08:49 AM UTC
Would someone please tell me which 1/48 F-14A is the most fun to put together, without too many fit problems or the need to rescribe panel lines, which I don't do very well? I just received an early birthday gift, the 1/48 F-14A decal set by Hi Decal of Ploand, and I've decided to do a Tomcat in the new IRIAF light blue and light gray scheme.
I've heard the fuel nozzle doors were left off the 'Cats built for Iran; the Iranians had been warned that these doors sometimes came flying off during aerial refueling, and asked that they be left off their planes. Is there a kit that allows this? Thanks!
DutchBird
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 07:34 PM UTC
I do not know which kit is appropriate...

I presume you know they apparently (still) use the basic US high-vis stencils (red triangles under canopy, yellow rescue) arrows etc....

Cheers,

Harm
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 07:35 AM UTC
Thanks Harm. I know they still use our stencils. I've heard the Revell Tomcats have raised panel lines, and the Hasegawa Tomcats are needlessly complex, with numerous fit problems. Recessed panel lines are pointless if they're just going to be puttied and sanded away. The Academy F-14A might be my best bet; it has an inaccurate nose, but is supposed to be easier to assemble. Fujimi and Italeri have produced F-14As also, but I don't know much about them. I could also wait for the Hobby Boss Tomcat, which has been promised for next year.
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 03:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Would someone please tell me which 1/48 F-14A is the most fun to put together, without too many fit problems or the need to rescribe panel lines, which I don't do very well?

Hello J,

I don't know how I missed this post. I'm no expert on the Tomcat but in my opinion if you want a kit that has an accurate outline, decent detail and is not overally complex and externally is a close match for the IRIAF at a decent price then I suggest the Monogram F-14A (Kit 85-5803). This kit does not have external drop tanks but the IIAF/IRIAF rarely use them so this kit would again in my opinion fit your build nicely.
Raised panel lines are no big deal, take a look at the Monogram OA-4M I did a couple years ago. Pre-shaded, then paint, then gloss coat, then oil wash and finally flat coat.

All the best,
Brian
 _GOTOTOP