_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden 1:32 DH 2 My first real stringbag
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 10:03 AM UTC
Beautiful. Enter it into the MOM.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 10:18 AM UTC
Ace.... Stunning Mikael, even if it isnt an Albatros

Keith
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 10:49 AM UTC
All I can say is.....WOW.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 05:26 PM UTC
Mikael, you have proven once again that you operate with a high skill level! Can you detail for us how you accomplished the rigging in the tail boom area? Stunning build! Model On!
veector73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 11 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 06:20 PM UTC
She came out really nice! (thanks to your fantastic skills, of course, not just pure luck ) Even those few saggy wires don't disturb the overall impressive finish.
There are some control wires going through pulleys located on interplane struts...Could you share a word of wisdom how you made this detail?

regards,
Tomasz
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 11:55 PM UTC
Hi everybody

– Thank You so much for your very kind comments on my build – They really mean a lot coming from some of the finest builders I know of

I might enter it into MOM indeed we'll see...

My Bestest Regards to you all

Mikael

OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 11:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mikael, you have proven once again that you operate with a high skill level! Can you detail for us how you accomplished the rigging in the tail boom area? Stunning build! Model On!

Thank You again Stephen, and also thank you for providing both inspiration and information during this build!

The rigging of the tailbooms was (mostly) done using the tiny eyelets from Bobs buckles. For the lines crossing top and bottom, I had predrilled the eyelets, so that only the tiny loop was visible, and simply threaded the line from the wings through these and glued them with CA.

The crossing lines on the sides of the booms proved a bit harder. I did not want to drill here for fear of anything colapsing. Instead I superglued the eylets to the "corner points" and threaded the lines through here. This worked so, so – and I had to cheat with some of them – hiding my mistakes with some simulated dirt... With hindsight I probably should've thought of another way to do this.

I did most of this part of the rigging before I put any weight on the tail – I was not sure the booms would take the strain unrigged. As I use 0.15mm fishing line, this really helps in the structural integrity of the model overall.

Hope this clarifies for anybody building this plane.

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 12:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

She came out really nice! (thanks to your fantastic skills, of course, not just pure luck ) Even those few saggy wires don't disturb the overall impressive finish.
There are some control wires going through pulleys located on interplane struts...Could you share a word of wisdom how you made this detail?

regards,
Tomasz

Hi Tomasz – and once again Thank You

The pulleys of this build comes from Eduards etch set – so its really Eduard that provided wisdom here If you're going for this kit I do think the Eduard set is very worth while – not the least because Roden does not provide any pulleys in the kit. Also the set really enhances some of the detail really well.

Best Regards

Mikael
veector73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 12:29 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

The pulleys of this build comes from Eduards etch set – so its really Eduard that provided wisdom here If you're going for this kit I do think the Eduard set is very worth while – not the least because Roden does not provide any pulleys in the kit. Also the set really enhances some of the detail really well.

Best Regards

Mikael

Could have been more precise...my fault... I guessed that pulleys were from PE set (Eduard provided such PE pulleys in their 1/72 DH2 profi pack as well!!! ) I was rather wondering how you managed this technically - the PE pulleys are rather flat and there are something like two control wires going through each of the pulley. So, the wire goes from control horn at the fuselage side, through the pulley, to the control horn at the elevator...Is it one piece of rigging, glued to the appropriate anchor points in the same order? Or you terminated each section at the pulley?

Regards,
Tomasz
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 12:35 AM UTC
Ahhh  – I see

Well in answer to the question, they are all one piece of line going from the controls in the pit via the pulleys and termineated in the horns – with some CA holding it in place.

The pulleys are pretty flat as you say, but they are two parts folded together – creating a sanwich if you like – so I bent this slightly open – taking the threads through, and gluing. Worked quite well and painless.

Hope this clarifies.

Mikael
veector73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 12:59 AM UTC
Yes Sir! This clears the matter Thanks for your patience!
I was curious cause I have Eduard's 1/72 DH2 in my stash (but the non profi edition). Well, I don't feel ready to get entangled in it yet...But I studied the rigging diagram (must admit I got chills down my spine!)...and these pulleys haunt me ever since

Thanks again
Tomasz
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 01:29 AM UTC
Mikael , you pulled this build off very beautifully indeed Also nice to hear thst you enjoyed building the kit . Yes , it has gotten some negtive feed back . But such as Lars , Des and yourself have proving she does build up beautiful

Also how you rigged the tail-booms , not a bad idea at all !

Looking forward th your W-29
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 02:51 AM UTC
Hi Mikael!
very well done indeed...
you rigging is quite clean!
ciao
Edo
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 08:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mikael , you pulled this build off very beautifully indeed Also nice to hear thst you enjoyed building the kit . Yes , it has gotten some negtive feed back . But such as Lars , Des and yourself have proving she does build up beautiful

Also how you rigged the tail-booms , not a bad idea at all !

Looking forward th your W-29

Thank You so much Terri Also a big thank You for providing me with info and giving me the idea with your FE 8 build, I really apreciate it

Bestest regards

Mikael

Quoted Text

Hi Mikael!
very well done indeed...
you rigging is quite clean!
ciao
Edo

Thank Yo so very much Edo on your kind comments

Warm Regards

Mikael
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 03:48 AM UTC
Hi Mikael:

This really turned out nice. The cutaway is impressive now that it is done, and the rigging, well....what can I say, absolutely stunning. This kit is in the back of my mind to do, just so many others in front of it, plus I don't actually have one, so that is part of it.
I am looking forward to the HB build.

Best

Mark
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 09:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mikael:

This really turned out nice. The cutaway is impressive now that it is done, and the rigging, well....what can I say, absolutely stunning. This kit is in the back of my mind to do, just so many others in front of it, plus I don't actually have one, so that is part of it.
I am looking forward to the HB build.

Best

Mark

Hi Mark

Thank You so very much for your kind comments

Do get one if you can – it is really looking good and different once its built, and it was a lot of fun too

Best Regards

Mikael
 _GOTOTOP