_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Sopwith tripe Undercarriage query
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 08:27 AM UTC
Hi all,

Santa brought me the Roden 1/32nd kit of the tripe.

I'm on with it now, hit a little issue with the undercarriage.

On the kit the axles and lower section is all one part. No slot/gap for the axle and I think the bungees are modelled wrongly too.

Anyway I decided to scratch my own axle wing (for want of a better term) Obviously there are a pair of half axles pivoting in the center set into a gap between the front and rear faired sections yes? I have pics of the axle from the front and slighty high sideways but no view underneath.

My question is - was this gap the axles rode in open top and bottom or faired over beneath?

Any info at all would be appreciated and once I get some work done and pics taken I will start a blog.

Seasons greetings all Keith
wombat58
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 09:53 AM UTC
I noticed when I was doing my Tripe that the undercarriage bungees are totally wrong, they are placed around the axle and thats it, they don't anchor to anything. I didn't have any reference material showing a detailed look at the undercarriage so I left well enough alone
Sorry I can't help you further.

Des.

www.ww1aircraftmodels.com
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 07:57 PM UTC
Hi Des,

Yes the bungees are wrong, upside down if anything, there should be 2 tubes welded through the legs just above centre of the axle fairing around which the bungeee wrapped. AMS won't let me ignore this unfortunately.

Heres a link to some pics, I know its too late for your build and some details are lost in renovation I think (cheek access panels are rather Camel like?) but it gives a good general look and layout of Tripe details

http://picasaweb.google.com/sergey.archakov/SopwitchTriplane#

wombat58
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 08:23 PM UTC
Thanks Keith for the link, I have all those photos except the undercarriage ones, how I missed those I don't know. Like you said, it is too late for me now but I will know in future, it pays to check then double check.
I have now started work on the Avis Fokker E.V limited edition kit, quite a change from the Wingnut and Roden kits, I have started a build log on my website.

Des.

www.ww1aircraftmodels.com
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 09:31 AM UTC
Great Photos in that link. Thanks for including that in your post.

_GOTOTOP