_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Wingnut Wings Pfalz D.IIIa Question
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 02:38 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

I was planning to do Max Holtzem's "Comet" profile Pfalz. I know that many time personal markings were painted over the aircraft serial numbers. In this case the profile picture doesn't show this..............

but the decals do (numbers 37 and 39).............

I was wondering if you could share some opinions.

Thanks!

Mark
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 02:47 AM UTC
Hi Mark

Hmmm, those decals do look a bit odd to me, I'm no expert on Holtzem's Pfalz – but I was always under the impression that the black bands and comet were done over a white ground  – thus blocking out the serial copletely...

Someone else here probably knows more than me though!

Mikael
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 03:38 AM UTC
Hi Mark , very interesting question and one which I haven't seen asked before .

In Osprey book Pfalz Scout Aces of WW 1 on page 45 their is a picture of Holtzem's plane . Not the greatest pic , it's blurred in a few spots .From the forth stripe from the tail there does appear to what could be a part of a number painted over with a black stripe and the white field does look lighter in colour compared to the top wing . For the colours , there is no mentioning of white as the back ground . personal emblem was black and white comet applied over a field of black stripes ( quoted from book ) . As to the white all profiles seem to have it and builds on the net

I don't recall there being anything in the datafile , but I don't have the newest one 107 so more info could be in there on markings . If I recall right Dan San Abbot over on the Drome has this profile posted .
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 04:40 AM UTC
Mark.

(On the web) Looking at the pic under the profile on the instruction booklet, as tatty as it is it clearly shows the overpainted S No on the right side so I cant see why the onther side wouldnt be t6he same..instinct tells me the decals are correct in this point at least.

As an aside, how does the lozenge compare to the LVG loz.? Asking just out of interest while I wait for my Roland to wing its way here.

Happy new year too BTW
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 06:28 AM UTC
Here is one that even WNW doesn't have.

The only white areas are the portions national insignia and the comet on the fuselage (his "Gaurdian Angel" was a representation of his deceased mother's spirit). The signature is Max's. He was a friend of the Lafayette Foundation and our first president, Dr. J. J. Parks.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 07:22 AM UTC
Good post Stephen. I want to build this one myself.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 10:01 AM UTC

Thanks everyone. I actually asked my wife pic out the profile from the instructions that she like the best and this was the one she picked.

Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 02:28 AM UTC
My wife usually helps me pick out the profiles also. It is good to keep SWMBO involved.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My wife usually helps me pick out the profiles also. It is good to keep SWMBO involved.

I agree.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mark , very interesting question and one which I haven't seen asked before .

In Osprey book Pfalz Scout Aces of WW 1 on page 45 their is a picture of Holtzem's plane . Not the greatest pic , it's blurred in a few spots .From the forth stripe from the tail there does appear to what could be a part of a number painted over with a black stripe and the white field does look lighter in colour compared to the top wing . For the colours , there is no mentioning of white as the back ground . personal emblem was black and white comet applied over a field of black stripes ( quoted from book ) . As to the white all profiles seem to have it and builds on the net

I don't recall there being anything in the datafile , but I don't have the newest one 107 so more info could be in there on markings . If I recall right Dan San Abbot over on the Drome has this profile posted .

Terry et al;

I was considering the Roden Pfalz D.III kit last month and got Datafile #107 to augment the older one (# 7) ; it's one of the better D'Files 'they've published in my view however no help for this particular question as it's subject is the earlier D.III version, not the IIIa. It does have some really spectacular color profiles and I strongly recommend it if you are thinking of ordering it.

As an aside I'm a believer in the white being restricted to the comet/crossfield areas over the "overall" silbergrau as well. I've always thought this scheme to be one of the most stunning of all types; now I guess it's time to order another WNW package and hopefully get on with it! (hate it when that happens!!)
 _GOTOTOP