_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
wire for rigging
modulla
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 72 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 08:17 PM UTC
I am thinking ahead to my 1/72 DH2 build, and intend to use steel wire for the rigging. I intend to glue the struts to the bottom wing, then part-rig with exact lengths of wire to make the model more robust as I continue assembly.
Can anyone tell me a U.K. source for the wire? Scale diameter would be 0.1 millimeter !!

modulla
gcn123
KitMaker: 69 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 08:50 AM UTC
For my 1/32 builds I use 2lb fishing line which comes up at .12mm so not too far away. You could try and look for 1lb fishing line which would be around the .07mm width i'd imagine.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 08:51 PM UTC
Clive,

Try here, he carries a wealth of fine wire in steel brass lead etc, meshes, tubes and braided scale hose and some PE

http://www.little-cars.co.uk/

Bell him and see if he has what you need.

Keith
modulla
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 07:33 AM UTC
Thank you both. I would prefer steel, as it will strengthen the struts before I add the top wing, and I won't need holes through the wing.
But, thank you both.
Modulla
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Clive,

Try here, he carries a wealth of fine wire in steel brass lead etc, meshes, tubes and braided scale hose and some PE

http://www.little-cars.co.uk/

Bell him and see if he has what you need.

Keith

Keith,
"way back when" my eyes were younger and I built in 1/48 Scale I used a lot of the rigid steel wire contained in the Dragon kits. Really liked it, got great results, and it's still hanging in there 10 or more years later. I believe it would still be useful in the 1/32nd world. Can you or anyone provide a size on the stuff for reference in ordering from places like "little Cars" etc? I have a stock of various products from RB and Bob's for example, but don't know what sizes they are for ordering "raw" product if I want to go that route at least partially.

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 05:05 AM UTC
Lance, I have a few strands left, it's treat like gold dust, I just used some in my Triplane build here now. It's excellent stuff but I've never seen it sold

Anywhere...as a sudden thought how about piano wire..it just sprung to mind this moment.,,,No pun intended
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 04:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Lance, I have a few strands left, it's treat like gold dust, I just used some in my Triplane build here now. It's excellent stuff but I've never seen it sold

Anywhere...as a sudden thought how about piano wire..it just sprung to mind this moment.,,,No pun intended

Keith,
I have a stock of Guitar Wires however they are quite supple, not sure if the piano wires are rigid like the Dragon stuff but will look into it. As an aside, my only exposure to piano wires was "back in the day" when a gaggle of your Countrymen destroyed and burned our Mess Piano during a "subdued" Friday Night beer session...........you Brits!...........(enjoyed by all and they bought us a newer better one however) Guess I should have scooped a few wires during the clean up.

Cheers!
AaronW
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 05:07 AM UTC
I've been using guitar string which is .008" steel wire. It is quite stiff and wants to be straight so no kinks or need to tighten it. It is larger than you are looking for (0.2mm if my math is right) but I've been told that is about right for generic 1/72 rigging wires that could be anywhere from 1/4" up to 1" on the 1-1 aircraft (scales out at 1/2").
modulla
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 09:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been using guitar string which is .008" steel wire. It is quite stiff and wants to be straight so no kinks or need to tighten it. It is larger than you are looking for (0.2mm if my math is right) but I've been told that is about right for generic 1/72 rigging wires that could be anywhere from 1/4" up to 1" on the 1-1 aircraft (scales out at 1/2").

Anthony Fokker had numerous problems with his planes failing static loading tests - he had to up-rate to 5 mm wire on his single-seaters, I believe. At 1:72 scale, the nearest diameter would be 0.1 mm .

Modulla
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 03:14 AM UTC
Here is a bit of fun when it comes to brass or stainless steel wire.

Detail Master
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 07:17 AM UTC
I have a very similar problem with my 1:48 Camel I work on right now. Could you please advice me which wire would be the best for making eyelets for wing rigging? Here are my samples I consider, the drill bit is 0,3mm. There's a lot of usfull information on the Des Delatore website but it's my second biplane and I'm affraid I don't have the proper sense in this case yet...

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 08:49 AM UTC
Try drill bits .080 through .076 gauge drill bit.
hgwczech
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Severocesky Kraj, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 94 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 09:29 AM UTC
RAF spring wire:-).
http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=515&t=52295
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 12:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a very similar problem with my 1:48 Camel I work on right now. Could you please advice me which wire would be the best for making eyelets for wing rigging? Here are my samples I consider, the drill bit is 0,3mm. There's a lot of usfull information on the Des Delatore website but it's my second biplane and I'm affraid I don't have the proper sense in this case yet...

The best wire to use in this scale would be wire from a old power cord or even wire from a set of headphones from a diskman/walkman . Try to avoid the copper wire , the rigging will be under tension and the copper will lose it's shape As Stephen has point out a # 80 drill bit is perfect . If you can find something even smaller that's even better .

I use a piece of left over wire from a DML kit when they were into WW1 for a very short while
wombat58
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 08:03 PM UTC
Hello Michal,
For 1:32 scale eyelets I mainly use 0.13mm wire twisted around a 0.3mm drill bit. For 1:48 scale I would use 0.1mm wire twisted around a 0.2mm drill bit. I have used the 0.1mm wire on many occasions and have not had it deform with rigging tension, remember that the tension is only very light.
I source my 0.1mm wire from electronic equipment, the wires used to connect apparatus to apparatus, you will find that the wire is usually plated and for it's size is strong.
I have found that 0.12mm mono to be a good size for rigging wires in 1:32 and 0.1mm for 1:48 scale.

Hope this has helped you

Des.

www.ww1aircraftmodels.com
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 09:02 PM UTC
Thank you all very much, of course you helped me a lot.

According to your suggestions I shall use the thinest wire on the picture although it is copper. These are all electrical and electronical wires, I'm affraid there are no any thinner wires in my range at the moment but I'll note the dimmensions you gave above and try to find something for the next builds. I can't be perfect in my second biplane, it would be not fair
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 10:17 PM UTC
Michal

I use the braiding from braided flexible hoses (plumbing water) one flexible hose has a lifetime supply, its string, thin and stainless steel so unless its hevily twisted its very strong.

For forming the eyelets I use a small fishhook (barb snipped off of course) epoxied into a length og old sprue and a set of fine nosed pliers, easier to grip than a drill and twist to get a tight neat twist to the eyelet. tension and the curve of the hook keeps the eye in place nicely.

It wasnt my idea but picked it up from some kind soul here who'se name slips my mind.

It works for me

edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 04:03 AM UTC
flexible hoses!
now that's great!
have to give it a try!

ciao
edo
michaelmys
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 03:50 PM UTC
I am a complete newbie at WW1 modelling, being predominantly a period wooden ship modeller, so I am hesitant to post here, in the face of so much knowledge from the other posters.
I've bought fine wire previously from wires.co.uk. They do a comprehensive selection of wire including stainless steel at 0.08mm and 0.1mm http://www.wires.co.uk/acatalog/ss_bare.html. A 50g reel contains some ridiculous amount in excess of 100 metres.

Cheers!
michael
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 08:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am a complete newbie at WW1 modelling, being predominantly a period wooden ship modeller, so I am hesitant to post here, in the face of so much knowledge from the other posters.
I've bought fine wire previously from wires.co.uk. They do a comprehensive selection of wire including stainless steel at 0.08mm and 0.1mm http://www.wires.co.uk/acatalog/ss_bare.html. A 50g reel contains some ridiculous amount in excess of 100 metres.

Cheers!
michael

BINGO....Perfect thank you so much Michael and welcome to the crazy gang.
Thanks for that excellent link.

Keith
modulla
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 09:40 PM UTC
I have obtained some 0.1 mm Nickel silver rod ( looks like wire to me! ) from Little-cars. Being so thin , it is a bit bendy, but it is strength under tension that matters. I shall do a trial before committing to a kit.
 _GOTOTOP