_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Morane-Saulnier N
MadsonGray
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 04:49 PM UTC

I have a Morane-Saulnier typ N made by Special Hobby that I will be starting shortly and noticed that it has photo-etched turnbuckles. Has anyone ever 'tackled' etched turnbuckles? Do you try and shape them to be round? They come flat, and don't think That would look too good. I do know this---there's a ton of them! This kit has a lot of rigging, but in many ways it looks like it will be easier than most biplane kits. I noticed somewhere that somebody's making an etched M-S logo for the cowling.

Madson

"If a man will begin with certainies,
he will end in doubts;
but if he will be content to begin with doubts,
he will end in certainies."

--Sir Francis Bacon
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 09:18 PM UTC
Thats how you add dimension to PE. Its not meant to stand by itself. Think of it as bare bones to the finished product.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 10:45 PM UTC
One way to add dimension is to build them upwith Cyano, PVA or a gel medium. But they are hard work..trying to bend and fit them put me off rigging for a long time. I much prefer the brass tube and wire method of making turnbuckles, far easier to tennion too.

Yes I've seen that etched logo too but for the life of me can't recall where.

Keith
MadsonGray
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 02:09 PM UTC
Thanks Stephen for your reply. I think I'll just build on turnbuckles.

Madson
MadsonGray
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 02:13 PM UTC
Thanks also Keith for your reply. I think I might as well make my own turnbuckles. While we're on that subject, most people use brass tubibg for the turnbuckle barrels, but what if you use plastic tubing? Cheaper and easier to cut and if you're going to paint them anyway what difference does it make? Of course I think some people don't paint them so they want that real brass look.

Madson
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 08:29 PM UTC
Yes plastic if you can get it small enough

Terri (the girl) has made use of heat stretched Qtips (cotton removed of course) to wonderful effect, I must be too ham fisted to stretch them though unless US/Canadian Qtips are different, mine always end up as blobs of molten plastic.

PC Datacable sheathing is a new found source for me. Someone here pointed it out though I've used thin telephone sheathing for Flexible pipe connectins before.

If you want a strong thin wire for making eyelets I use stainless steel braiding from a flexible shower hose connection ( a life time supply in one burst hose

Keith
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 06:49 AM UTC
Hi Madson !

Yes I have used the q-tip method to great success . I use them for 72 scale right up to 32 scale . I have a simple tutiroal here

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net//features/2740

It is an art form trying to pull them right . To close to the flame and it won't work well , to far and that will not do . It does take a bit of partice to find the perfect medium on pulling them . The speed on how you pull is also a factor . It can take me about three tries to get the di I want . One q-tip pulled right and I can do at least two aircraft depending on the amount of rigging . I also use very fine stell wire for old cords for making the hoops and use different sizes of drill bits to make them . I do stand any form copper wire , over time form under the tension the wire will lose it's shape causing the wores to go slack .

i don't buy the high end q-tips either , pick my up at the dollar store . 500 for a buck !
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 06:26 PM UTC
Here is a build from about 2 years ago.

build thread.
MadsonGray
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 12:27 PM UTC
Terri, Thanks for the advice. I'll try my hand with the Q-tips. You can get some pretty small plastic tubing though, even if it's flexible kind it shouldn't matter should it? What if you used platic solid tubing and drilled holes in each end? I guess that could prove to be tedious and prove to be more time consumming than stretching Q-tips. The Plalz looked very nice. Is the dark color Green-Black?

Madson
MadsonGray
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 12:48 PM UTC
Thanks Stephen. That was a nice looking M-S typ. N---hope I can get mine to look like good. He was concerned with the look of the rigging---maybe he should have painted it---but I thought it looked fine.

Madson
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 12:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri, Thanks for the advice. I'll try my hand with the Q-tips. You can get some pretty small plastic tubing though, even if it's flexible kind it shouldn't matter should it? What if you used platic solid tubing and drilled holes in each end? I guess that could prove to be tedious and prove to be more time consumming than stretching Q-tips. The Plalz looked very nice. Is the dark color Green-Black?

Madson

No it doesn't matter if it is flexible just keep in mind though the finer the tubing the harder it is to thread the line through . In 32 scale you won't have this issue with it .
You could use plastic rod and drill it out , but that wouldn't be the best way to go . Most guy's who build in 32 scale use very fine brass tubing .

see here http://www.holepop.com/contact.html

Thanks for the comment as well ! No the tail on the Pfalz is not black -green . It's Tamiya green but I should have sprayed a white base then green ....live and learn I guess
MadsonGray
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 01:32 PM UTC
Terri, Thanks for the info again. You are always very helpful, and I appreciate it. Sorry I was a little late getting back to you.

Madson
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 01:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri, Thanks for the info again. You are always very helpful, and I appreciate it. Sorry I was a little late getting back to you.

Madson

No worries Charles , we are here to help out each other and grow in the hobby

Will you start a build thread on this one ?
MadsonGray
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 10:40 AM UTC
Terri, No thread on this one yet. Have a closet full of kits to start. Just finished another Sopwith Camel. Really used it as a 'practice kit.' Just switched from enamel to acrylic and needed something to practice on. Less expensive Academy Camel is great for that. I may just buy a 1/48 floatplane kit (since they're more available in that scale), or may just try and buy have and convert it to floatplane was the jest of my inquiries. Since you're from Canada maybe you can help me identify a plane. Did you ever see the Charles Bronson movie "Death Wish" that was filmed in Canada? A great movie and I'm trying to identify the biplane used in the movie. I'm thinking it was a Jenny, or some model by DeHaviland.

Madson
MadsonGray
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 10:53 AM UTC
Terri, I don't know why part of my paragraph was deleted. Add this: ......or may just try and buy a WnW Hansa-Brandenburg. I was thinking about using a model I already have......

Hope you can figure it out!

Madson
MadsonGray
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 02:09 PM UTC
Terri, I must be in la-la land today. That movie was named "Death Hunt." I guess Charles Bronson likes to use the word death in his movies, because he had several named "Death Wish," and I got them confused.

Madson
MadsonGray
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 02:18 PM UTC
Terri, I also apologize for getting off on the wrong topic. The main topic was turnbuckles on Saultier-Moranes, and I got confused and was talking about floatboats, because we had discussed them before. Wow, what a day---I must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed. I'm still new at these forums and have a lot to learn and pay more attention. Sorry again.

Madson
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 08:25 PM UTC
Hey Madson, Don't worry we all have those days, some of us (me) more than others. I've misposted, lost posts, spent 30 mins updating a blog and pressed the wrong key and poofed the lot. You'll get used to it, believe me

Welcome to the crazy gang

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 02:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Madson, Don't worry we all have those days, some of us (me) more than others. I've misposted, lost posts, spent 30 mins updating a blog and pressed the wrong key and poofed the lot. You'll get used to it, believe me

Welcome to the crazy gang

Keith

Been there done that. . .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 02:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri, I also apologize for getting off on the wrong topic. The main topic was turnbuckles on Saultier-Moranes, and I got confused and was talking about floatboats, because we had discussed them before. Wow, what a day---I must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed. I'm still new at these forums and have a lot to learn and pay more attention. Sorry again.

Madson

No need to apologize at all Charles ( being blonde , I get lost all the time around here ! ) You will get the hang it just like the rest of us nut's around here . Like Keith I have spent time doing up-dates only to hint the wrong key or loss my internet connection and have to start all over again .

no I haven't seen the movie Death Hunt , never even heard it so I can't answer your question on that one .
MadsonGray
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 12:36 PM UTC
Thanks Terri for understanding. Should check that movie out. Other than being a great movie, the sceneries of Canada and the airplane shots are very good. I think it is a true movie.

Charley
 _GOTOTOP