_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW Roland D.VIa Kb's first impression
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 01:53 AM UTC
First impression is the lasting impression.

So very true, I’ve been anticipating the arrival of this kit since ordered, my hunger only exacerbated by the snippets and posts by others who have received one of WNW’s newer releases. Now the following is of course how I and only I perceive things. Once I get the clippers out I have a feeling my impressions won’t change.

I have to say upon getting my hands upon the sprues at last that I am VERY impressed. Beautiful moulding, virtually no flash, minuscule mould lines and a level of detail to die for. I hadn’t realised the Roland D.VI was so dinky though. It’s quirky look drew my eye when the choice between it and the Pfalz D.IIIa had to be made.

So briefly my first opinion viewed as *in box*

PLASTIC FIRST.
The usual WNW grey, the usual WNW quality, the level of detail higher than ever. Even down to hoseclips on the coolant pipework, such tiny things so often missed and will enhance an OOB build so much. Seams on Ammo chutes, extra detail on brackets the spokes and valves in the wheels and much more all show the level of attention paid by WNW to give us the best balanced product they can.

Other things that are good to see and hopefully have indicated WNW have listened learned and used our comments are the 2 part exhaust for instance so the exit is open without the extra work and chance of mishap.
Of course for us AMS sufferers and rivet counters there’s many ways of improving the kit but truthfully there would seem looking at it without getting the clippers out little reason to do so. WNW really have hit the spot with this I think, of course there is areas I am going to detail more, linkages, a few extra details here and there but some I had thought about looking at pictures I think may be a waste of time now I have the plastic in my hands. *For me to say this shows how impressed I am*

ETCH.
A miniscule fret of etch as is WNW’s way. Simple seatbelts, nicely done, of course theres some lovely AM stuff around but these are good and differ slightly from standard belts. Now the Maxim barrel jackets look incredibly delicate, probably the holiest jackets I’ve seen and wonder if my hamfistedness will destroy them on rolling. *note to self* Do it right this time*
Personally I would have liked to see a few PE options even if not necessary *Maxim breech mounts for one* Not that this detracts from the kit at all.

DECAL SHEETS.
Three sheets of wonderfully registered and printed Cartograph done to their exacting standards. No corners cut here everything printed in ful colour and metallic too where required. Instruments, logo’s, and all reproduced so perfectly. Hopefully there won’t be any size issues as I found with two of my earlier WNW kits as it all looks exquisite as you peel back the protective paper and try not to drool on the sheets.

Now, the lozenge decals. I see a much better representation *I’m not getting into the colour and hue discussions at all* But, on the 5 colour lozenge I got with my LVG there was a definite *dots per inch* print dot pattern which detracted from the quality of the product. Now this lozenge is grainy true but the grain implies texture as opposed to DPI type dots which the earlier lozenge did. I like to believe WNW have listened to comments and acted on them as I said earlier. This really is a far nicer representation than the LVG’s.

So all in all, trying to look at this as a kit to be built OOB I would score it a huge 9.9 out of 10 at first inspection, once I build her I honestly can’t see it changing much.

The big question is though............................... Can Kornbeef resist starting before finishing the Sopwith Tripe?
Answers please on a postcard to PO Box 1, Highly Unlikely Towers, Kent, England.

:D It really is that good

Cheers Keith
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 10:44 AM UTC
Go for it.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 10:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The big question is though............................... Can Kornbeef resist starting before finishing the Sopwith Tripe?
Answers please on a postcard to PO Box 1, Highly Unlikely Towers, Kent, England.

Great first impressions review Keith. Every time I browse the Early Aviation forums I'm drawn to the WNW threads and I'm awestruck by the quality of the kits and the builds. It's becoming harder and harder for me to resist diving in and getting one.

BTW I heard on the grapevine that the postcards are being redirected from "Highly Unlikely Towers" to "Never Gunna Happen Lane"

Cheers, D
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 03:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"First impression is the lasting impression. . .
ETCH.
A miniscule fret of etch as is WNW’s way. Simple seatbelts, nicely done, of course theres some lovely AM stuff around but these are good and differ slightly from standard belts. Now the Maxim barrel jackets look incredibly delicate, probably the holiest jackets I’ve seen and wonder if my hamfistedness will destroy them on rolling. *note to self* Do it right this time*
Personally I would have liked to see a few PE options even if not necessary *Maxim breech mounts for one* Not that this detracts from the kit at all.
. . .Cheers Keith"

Some comments I would add from another modeler's view point is:

- PE fret is noticeably thinner than previous releases so take GREAT care with the cooling jackets.
- take care with the tailplane assembly he incorrectly assumed that the flat side was the top & decaled it wrong [darn!]
- will need to figure out some odd clamping arrangement for the front nose cowling as the fuselage side taper in a little too much and need to be spread to get a tight fit
- side cowlings sit strangely, the edges sit to high off the fuselage & need to be thinned, He considered making new ones from pop can tin, but decided not to.
- there are holes in the center of the instruments on the main control panel, He filled them thinking it was a molding thing... then found the same holes on the decals for the instruments, but no reference in the instructions as to why they are there [assuming a dial or know of some kind] - He says that he should have checked reference but didn't. Someone should figure this out.
- on to decaling the wings already, decals behave fantastic with microset+microsol, not so great with solvaset.
- bottom wing to fuselage joint is tricky - and very difficult to fill/sand, test fit test fit test fit & make sure the fuse halves fit perfectly [his didn't] to avoid this.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 08:54 PM UTC
Well I had to get my fingers in so...

Stephen.
The etch, yes you are right its wonderfully thin.
The nose issues I think I will rely greatly on getting the front inner members aligned correctly in the early assembly stages, I dry fitted the fuselage and nose cowl on mine just to see and it fitted snug as a WNW bug. But I will watch out for this as I assemble, thanks. (I noticed a tendancy for the front of the engine mounts F3 & F4 to spring inwards a little when assembling so if you make part F17 conform to them then you will have issues *I dryfitted the engine from my D.Va whilst the assembly dried which kept everything in place*
Being an Albiholic I realised instantly what those holes in the instrument panel were..though WNW havent supplied levers for them, they also havent shown the annoying little bump that I disliked in the D.Va kit. so I feel confident to say they are the fuel control arrangement.
Decaling, I used Microsol/set on the LVG but WNW themselves advise not to so I'm going their way this time at first at least.
Any more findings I will post ina build blog of course.

First impression hasnt changed after a few hours tinkering. Damian/Carl....well guilty as charged...the only way I could resist tinkering would be if I had 2 identical kits....

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 02:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

". . .Being an Albiholic I realised instantly what those holes in the instrument panel were..though WNW havent supplied levers for them, they also havent shown the annoying little bump that I disliked in the D.Va kit. so I feel confident to say they are the fuel control arrangement. . .Keith

You are correct Keith. These are for the main and auxilary fuel and air operations (on and off). In the Smithsonian book on the Alb. D.Va there is a drawing of the instrument cluster for modelers.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 12:58 AM UTC
Hi Keith

Thanks for posting your first impressions, they will surely be a great help for anyone going for this kit (next time I order something from WNW – it may well just sort of fall into my shopping basket)

Also – Thank You Stephen for filling in some more info – most helpful.

BTW Keith – How many parts have you clipped off the tree so far, and have you glued anything together yet?

Best Regards

Mikael

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 05:12 AM UTC
Mikael,

All I can say is a lot....and the lozenge looks nice though I've something to say about that when the blog starts...late camera issues *grumbles*

One thing though... I have to say, I wish WNW gave us a spare PE jacket, these are so fine but so hard to get right, a moments inattention saw me fold one of mine while rolling..they are so delicate it meant no way out..kaput...finito so I have to fit Karaya ones or pillage my DVa ones maybe *Eduards and P of Ps are tailored for Rodens Maxims which oddly are considerably shorter. The guns are too tucked away to warrant the cost of a set of Master jackets besides everywhere seems out of stock.

Must try to start the blog before the kit is too far built *coughs*
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 06:27 AM UTC
Go for it.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 08:30 AM UTC
They look thin enough, not to use heat to anneal them.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 02:47 AM UTC
Well , were is the build blog ?

Nice impression on the kit Keith
 _GOTOTOP