_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Contests
A monthly online photo contest. Show your work!
Prize for voting on the MOM?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 09:06 PM UTC
I've been thinking about how to get more members to vote on the Model of the Month (MOM). Making the voting thread sticky seems to have worked to some degree but we need more voters. When I've spoke about this before some say that they don't vote because they don't like to choose one model over another; which is why in the early days we had a vote that gave your top 3, with 3-1 points given. That can't work in the gallery voting system, but is it really that difficult to click the link and go and vote?
Anyway I have been thinking for some time of providing a prize for the voters; not one each but a draw, but what prize? How about that I provide the winner with paint masks? They would have to be something that I already have prepared but they could be in 1/48 or 1/32. I would have to ask that, if this was to go ahead, that the winner posted when the masks were received and pictures of the finished model with the painted on markings. This is so that I can write the cost off as advertising.

So what do you think; will it make you want to vote?

I could try it for a couple of months and if not many more members voted then give it up?

Why don't you vote?

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 09:28 PM UTC
I think that's a great idea Mal.

As for not voting because of choosing one model over another, it's not like we're voting in a new president or prime minister guys, toss a coin or something !!

I try to put a build up in MOM every month, and I still vote every month because there has never been a month that I honestly thought mine was the best build !!

Cheers, D
exer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 11:41 PM UTC
I don't visit Aeroscale much but I do vote in the MOM when I see the thrtead on the Kitmaker latest threads page. It'd be good if there was reminder that could reach all Kitmaker members- maybe on each of the sites homepages.
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 10:10 AM UTC
Nice idea Mal and very generous on your behalf!
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 09:56 PM UTC
It's a great idea! For me personaly nothing changes with or without a chance to win a prize because I always try to vote, if only I don't miss the contest.

I have an idea of the easy drawing method: putt all the voters names in the Excel table with the proper numbers from 1 to X , sort them randomly and the DMOM winner gives a number. The problem is that the voters would have to trust Mal while picking up the winner. I don't have any problem with that.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 08:24 AM UTC
Thanks Damian
Thanks Pat, I'll have to look into that.
Thanks David, and maybe a little selfish as I could get good advertising out of it
Thanks Michal, yes I had thought of something along those lines.

I'm thinking that members have to annonce that they have voted in the "Vote open" thread. Of course you could say you had voted even if you hadn't but that's an honour thing the same as trusting me with picking a winner.

Thanks for your input guys
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 06:02 PM UTC
I havent quite understood why the voter turnout is low, its even a private ballot. I think the masks are an excellent idea and I hope they work. I know Ill be voting, and hopefully soon, competing.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 12:38 AM UTC
I am still contemplating this as, at the moment, I just can't afford the time or outlay to do this. I intend that it will happen but I really need to move house first (I've had my house on the market for 2 years so far).
More members voted last month than ever before, were some expecting a chance to win a prize? If so then the idea obviously has merits but I still don't understand the not voting without the potential of a prize
Anyway I will offer masks for voting when I can do it, but please vote for the MOM in the meantime.
Thanks.
 _GOTOTOP