_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Postwar aircraft of the USAS 1919-1925?
AaronW
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 05:49 AM UTC
I've been trying to fill in the gap between 1919 and 1925/26 when post war designs from Curtiss, and Boeing started to enter service.

From what I have found so far, the primary WW1 aircraft used by the USAS postwar was the DH-4, SE-5a, Spad XIII and Curtiss "Jenny".

The Martin MB-2 and Thomas Morse MB-3A being just missed the war designs also used during this period.

Am I missing any significant USAS aircraft?

Would the WWI aircraft have been repainted with the later star roundel during the early 20s?

Did the US Navy / USMC have any fighters during this period? I'm only finding a variety of sea planes.

I've also run across some comments to a number of Fokker DVII and Pfalz DXII fighters being used operationally, not just evaluated. Is there any support for this?

Is there any support for marking a Fokker DVII in USAS colors beyond what if?

Any other comment related to this rather neglected period is welcome.

Thanks
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 - 04:02 PM UTC
Greetings Aaron;

The following is a thumbnail view of the subject at hand.

You seem to have covered the US Air Service aircraft pretty well. DH 4, Spad XIII, Se 5a (Viper engine) The Jenny was more a trainer than anything else. Conversions were done on the DH 4 for various reasons, There were Nieuport 28 types but I believe were trainers.

The Fokker D.VII I have seen in alternative paint were the US Marines Hans & Fritz. NACA had at least one, Of course McCook field has several but these were overpainted the Dark Green US Olive. Probably none with yellow wings. But I am not 100% on that. The two Pfalz D.XII aircraft were shipped with "Fokker D.VII" on the manifests. When discovered to be bogus they were sold by the US Commerce dept to civilian use. Examples of the venerable Fokker D.VII were sent to most National Air Guard unit on the Eastern seaboard but none were operational as US fighters. These were training a/c. There were a few Roland D.VIa & b types as well.

See the thread on McCook airfield here.

As far as the US Navy they used at least one Sopwith 1.5 Strutter, and some (12 ? ) Nieuport 28 ( some of these types in Grey).

See here.

And some Sop. F.1 "Camels" (these still in PC 10 & 12, but part of a contract purchase had AEF Cockades.)
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 08:55 AM UTC
The Marine Corps did have DH-4's and 9's. I am not sure the time period any more, but they did use a/c (Jenny's maybe) for ground support and medevac during the bananna wars in Nicaragua in the 20's and 30's time frame.

Best

Mark
AaronW
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 04:43 PM UTC
Thank you, that gives me a bit more to work with.
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 171 posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 - 12:51 AM UTC
Two books that will put you down the right path.

On Target Special: Wings of the Fleet

On Target Special: Wings of Stars
AaronW
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 06:05 PM UTC
Matt those look great, I see they also have similar RAF and FAA books, thanks.
 _GOTOTOP