_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Encore SE5a-Finished
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 07:21 AM UTC
For closure, I thought I would show you the finished Encore SE5a built to represent B4683 before Sept 25, 1917. Couple comments:

Probably the most complex kit I’ve tackled. Patience and planning are requirements.

The bomb rack: I have no photos/illustrations that show McCudden’s mount with one-then again, I have no information saying that it definitely didn’t have one. I thought it looked neat, so I indulged myelf.

Rigging was 32 gauge bead wire and 4 lb. test monofilament. Slightly overscale but I’ll keep it. I need smaller drill bits-the holes in the wings were too big and I had to keep replacing pulled out lines. Someday I will master the art of the turnbuckle, but today is not that day. I have learned not to do the tail rigging until last, I don’t know how many lines I knocked off various lines.

I used Microscale Kristal Klear for the inspection windows, as recommended by the instructions. The results are mixed: Fine for the lower wing, okay for the upper wing, blah for the stabilizer. Some of that was learning how to work with it, as more than one application was necessary.

The figure is the best I could do will minimal skills. The face has no expressive lines, which seems appropriate for this very young man.

If the images don’t appear (which wouldn’t be a surprise to me) please feel free to click on the links.

Thanks for checking it out.
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 07:22 AM UTC
One more set:

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 08:14 AM UTC
Nicely done Dennis.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 08:38 AM UTC
Hi Dennis:

Nice looking model, and the figure looks good as well.

What's next?

Best
Mark
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 12:31 PM UTC
Thank you Stephen. Your positive feedback is most appreciated and encourages me to strive ever onward to improve my skills.

Thanks Mark for your comments. My next project (already started) is finally from the WingNut Wings pile-something with no rigging for a change (to clear the palate): a Junkers.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 02:16 PM UTC
It does look good. I have the WNW SE5a awaiting rigging. I have the rigging started, but I think I need to wait for a nice calm, low stress day before I continue. I know what you mean by a no rigging build. But a good rigging job can really make for an impressive build. I think you have done a fine job on this one. I really hope I can do this good in finishing mine. The figure is really nice also.

That Junkers is a real impressive kit. I think you will have a good time with it. Maybe it would be a good one for the Knights of the sky GB? Again, You did real good on this build.
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 08:52 AM UTC
Thanks Carl. It's always good to hear from across the river.

The major problem I had with the rigging was following the instructions, which were not helpful. I had to resort to the Datafile photos for the best placement, particularly those between the cabine struts and the fuselage.

I agree about how rigging can enhance one of these kits, and I intend to test that concept with the next project after the Junkers-a DH-2. I have the Datafile and the Tim West (many thanks Tim!) rigging file, so I'll see how far I get with it.

I would be happy to participate in the group build, although I'm not sure how to join.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 12:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would be happy to participate in the group build, although I'm not sure how to join.

heres the link (if it works) here.

click on the enlist button over the right upperside and thats all.

Nice work on the Encore Kit, nicely turned out. Only thing I would consider doing is to matt coat the figure to loose the wet look.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 01:32 PM UTC
Nice job done on the SE5a ! Rigging looks good . What did you think of the kit ?
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 - 05:04 AM UTC
Thanks Keith for the comments and info.

I have now enlisted in the build with the Junkers. The blog will start after I have something to show.

You are right about the shiny figure. I had tried some Andrea inks which gave it a satin look. I had over coated it with matt clear but uploaded the wrong picts. I had sorta hoped that no one would notice...
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 - 05:29 AM UTC
Thanks Terri-comments regarding the kit.

Overall, I think with all that you get, the kit is an extremely nice package.

The instructions are for the most part pretty good but they leave some parts off that should be assembled and mislabeled some others (the pump on the dash board comes to mind). Otherwise I found references were a must for one with a limited background such as myself-I needed closeups of the cockpit and upper deck to figure out what a lot of the photoetch parts represented.

Styrene: My second Roden build, and the fit and finish are good but not great. Most of my problems were working with the lower wing and mounting the motor. Some of it may have been my own doing. I could get only one cowling cover (the left) to fit, but that was okay since I was going to leave the engine partly exposed anyway.

The photoetch really enhances this kit, and allows you to assemble something akin to the WingNuts SE5a Hisso, although I don’t have the latter kit to compare.

The resin replacement parts vary in quality, but all seemed to fit very well to the Roden parts. I had trouble getting the propeller blades off their pouring mounts and had to call Squadron in an attempt to buy replacements. The kind people there sent me the replacement blades free.

The decals were Cartograft, which means excellent quality all around. Easy to work with and seated well.

Hope this helps-maybe too long winded?
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 - 06:13 AM UTC
Longwinded? No never

pleasure to help when I can.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 - 06:52 AM UTC
Hi Dennis,

A very nice build of the SE5 – congratulations on finishing Looking forward to seeing more of your builds in the GB!

All the best

Mikael
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 - 09:17 AM UTC
Hi Mikael and thanks

Glad you enjoyed the result, as I have certainly enjoyed your builds (such as that super DH 2)
 _GOTOTOP