_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Advice on basic pre-shading technique
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 10:56 AM UTC
I have reviewed most if not all the threads I can locate on Pre-shading. I get the basics but am confused with the final stages.
So:
.......... tape the rib etc outlines.......O.K.
.......... Airbrush a well toned down darker color or a thinned grey or smoke color (concentrating on the locations to be hi-lited; O.K.
..........remove the tape....... O.K. again

Now, do I overspray with a light dose of the base color to let the shading show through (or will it??), just put on a clear topcoat (seems the shading will contrast too much?) or is there another correct step I'm missing?
Also, the shading paint mix, any basic mix ratios recommended?
Appreciate any and all suggestions and advice. This technique, as so well done on numerous builds here, struck me as the greatest thing since the advent of Photo Etch, really a nice touch I'd like to learn.

Cheers,
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 12:07 PM UTC
Hi Lance

This a method with so many varitions that we all have our way of doing it . Sounds like you got the basic of it right up to the painting stage .

When you spray the top colour and lower colour of the scheme . You want to apply light cotes until you are happy with the rsults you are looking for . Thinning the paint just a tad more , but not too much . You don't want a solid colour or the per-shading will not show through . One of the best ways to learn this method is take a junk wing and practice on it until you get a feel of it .

You can also do post shading afterwards with Tamiya Smoke over the rib tapes or use pastels to break up the tone a bit .
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 01:47 PM UTC
Lance.

Briefly what I do is this

Spray the wing surfaces either CDL or white, let it dry good and hard.

Tape the rib/ribtapes and any other areas such as reinforcements etc, then I tape over the spars and structures.

Once all is taped and I'm happy with it I spray either a feild grey or darkish grey, colour isnt really important, Too dark means more coats to cover it. I spray over all areas, fading the spray towards the rear of the wing, darkening it around wingspars and structures etc. Before taking the ribtape masking off I remove all the spar and structure masking *sometimes in stages* and spray over again with the grey.

Once alls dry, I remove all the masking and over spray with thin coats of the CDL colour of choice. How prominant you wish the effect of course is a matter of taste.

Heres a shot or two , hopefully you can see how the wing structure shows faintly as well as the taped areas?

I hope this helps.

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 04:15 PM UTC
Keith's work is among some of the best preshading attempts I have seen.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 04:41 PM UTC
Terri, Keith, & Stephen,
Thank you all; I think that clears it up for me. Now, per Terri's suggestion, a little bit of experimenting is in order.
Should I 'trip over my boot laces" I'll be back as I know where to go for advice!

All the very Best,
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 11:42 AM UTC
I do what Keith does. But as a last step, I add texture decals. It gives the CDL an amazing 3D appearance.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 11:29 AM UTC
Thanks Carl,
Can you steer me to a quick source or thread on the textured decals?

Cheers!

Quoted Text

I do what Keith does. But as a last step, I add texture decals. It gives the CDL an amazing 3D appearance.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 12:09 PM UTC
Click here.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 12:58 PM UTC
Thanks Stephen,
Had a quick look, will digest it in detail soon. Great info and lots of options to consider.............

Cheers,
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 01:52 PM UTC
A wing from my SE 5a without texture.

And a picture with texture.

The picture does not convey the 3D look that is achieved with these decals. They are tough also.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 03:58 AM UTC
Carl,
Se5a ??? I'm shocked! Run out of Albies???

Seriously though, Thanks. The pictures say it all and I'll be shopping for the product ASAP. Where do you get yours?

Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 04:45 PM UTC
Here it is.

http://www.microsculpt.com
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 11:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Carl,
Cheers,
Lance

I'm being typecast.

That is the correct link. Be sure to get enough to use anywhere you have CDL or Loz. I also used it inside the SE 5a. Mark used it inside his Ninak. And I have a Roden 1:32 DH 2 that I started way back when they first came out that I am doing in CDL overall. I am using it on that also. I don't work for them, but I think I am probably one of their best salesmen.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Carl,
Cheers,
Lance

I'm being typecast.

That is the correct link. Be sure to get enough to use anywhere you have CDL or Loz. I also used it inside the SE 5a. Mark used it inside his Ninak. And I have a Roden 1:32 DH 2 that I started way back when they first came out that I am doing in CDL overall. I am using it on that also. I don't work for them, but I think I am probably one of their best salesmen.

Carl/Stephen,
Thanks for the help; just placed an order. Now, lots of patience required waiting for the various 1/32 Lozenge products to materialise, however I'll find a place for some of it soon I'm sure. Hadn't thought about the interior applications.great idea and I'll be going back to check out the threads on those.

Cheers,
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Carl,
Cheers,
Lance

I'm being typecast.

Run out of Albies?

This is the one I am working on right now.

Maybe I can do a Jasta 5 scheme on this one. No I am not running out.

And it seems I have a large one to keep me busy when I can't go out golfing. No I am not running out.

Oh yeah, can't forget about these.

I really thought I had a few more lying around some where. But this makes it a bit hard to convince Mrs. Captain I need a few more.

Typecast? Well I do look a little like "Dirty Harry".

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 08:41 AM UTC
Well you know Carl , you are missing a few of the Eduards ones, what about the W-4 and the D.III ? Oh yeah and Gavia's D.I . . .
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 10:00 AM UTC
Let me raise a glass to Fraü von Althaus! She must be a wonderously supportive lady! Carl please give her our respects.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 01:33 PM UTC
I have a D.III somewhere. Must be in the secondary storage area. I saw a W-4 in the LHS the other day. I sould have gotten it. If it is still there next time I go in...

Mrs. Captain, (actually 1SG retired) I really need another WNW Albatros.

CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 08:15 AM UTC
I must say having been upclose and personal with painted and even printed 1/1 scale fabric (Rinebeck, RAF museums, various and sundry airshows, and my local airport ) and honestly, seeing the weave is tough on a fullsize aircraft. Linen was per spec 96 threads per inch. That is fine cloth, look at your best bed sheet then stand across the room. I will bet (my Sikorsky Archive Coloring Book) that you will be hard pressed to see the thread pattern, Let alone on a 1/32 1/48 or 1/72 scale aircraft.

I will say though the various fading articles on the forum in the past few days are what I am going to try.

Enjoy
Captn Tommy
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 09:31 AM UTC
Here is a bit if fun on the subject.

_GOTOTOP