_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2011 Alb D.V Dwaynewilly
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 03:36 AM UTC
Folks,

I started this kit a while back so I guess it could be called a shelf queen, I have stuff up there way older than this though! I decided to build this one straight from the box for the most part. I have a feeling that this kit and myself are gonna be friends for a while and I just wanted to get to know it a bit better, kinda like a "haya dooin?" type of handshake thing. So I approached it a bit like my Eduard 1/48 builds, paint as much on the sprue as possible.

Here is the guts assembled. There was a bit of dry fitting and not so dry fitting before I got the engine and it's supports lined up properly. Like I said, this was going to be a learning experience for me and I think I got a pretty good feel for the engineering and the nature of the plastic that makes up this kit. Overall I think the fit was very good. There is certainly a lot of detailing potential in this kit and many of you folks have surely demonstrated that!

Next is onto sealing it up and starting the color scheme ... imagine what that will be?

Dwayne
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 04:31 AM UTC
Hi Dwayne:

Looks like you are making good progress on this build. It looks like from the preliminary painting you have done, and this strictly a SWAG, that it might be a representative a/c of Jasta 5. It just appeals to me that way.

Best

Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 11:55 AM UTC
Jasta 5 is a really safe bet. But which aircraft?
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 01:58 AM UTC
Hi Dwayne

Looks like you're off to a very good start on this GB project. Looking forward to more as it develops.

Best Regards

Mikael
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 04:02 AM UTC
It's great to see you taking part in the GB , it's been awhile since we heard from you !

Your build is coming along very well so far .
Removed by original poster on 02/11/11 - 17:10:33 (GMT).
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 05:15 AM UTC
Don't forget this Jasta 5 Project

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 05:16 AM UTC
Could it be the Edelweiss?
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 11:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Could it be the Edelweiss?

That's what i was thinking...the white band around the fuselage...
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 05:38 AM UTC
Folks,

Can't fool you guys! I wanted to do a Jasta 5 color scheme for my first WNW's build and this is one of my favorites. I thought that this scale would accommodate hand painted insignia better than 1/48 and I felt this one wasn't too complicated. I figured I'd have a go at it.

Eduard has a decal for this marking in 1/48. I took out the old proportional wheel and figured it was about 144%. I enlarged it on a copier machine with a boost in contrast and this is what I got.

I cut out the markings as close to the borders as possible so I could use them as stencils. I drew the outlines against the white paint and free handed the contours using the background color and finished the interior with very thinned black and a 00 Liner brush. There was a bit of touch up work after the initial paint work was dry.

I just couldn't resist adding the fuselage cross decals. I needed to know if I had gotten the proportions close.

Next is onto the wood grain. Not quite sure on the method I want to use there. I would like to experiment with using colored pencils, combine them with the method I've used on 1/48 kits. I've seen some really good results achieved by other modelers using colored pencils.

Dwayne
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 07:20 AM UTC
Hi Dwayne:

Good job on the hand painted Edelweiss. Is this going to start a new trend, i.e., Jasta 5 in 1/32nd? You know PHEON models has a decal sheet for Jasta 5 A/C. It is a start.

Best

Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 07:11 AM UTC
Actually, Pheon has more than one sheet of Jasta 5 decals. There are two sets containing 7 aircraft, and two sets containing one aircraft. I have two of the sets with one aircraft. The Demon and the Bavarian. The Edelweis is available on set 32021.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 08:49 AM UTC
I must Dwayne , your mofit turn out well so far !
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 02:34 AM UTC
It does look good. I vote to make Dwayne the Captain of Jast 5.

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It does look good. I vote to make Dwayne the Captain of Jast 5.

He's got my vote.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 04:52 AM UTC
"If nominated i will not run, if elected I will not serve"! ... thanks for the vote, I appreciate it but I'm just a humble modeler with a slight fascination!

Here is a little update on my snail-like progress on this kit. Hopefully I can keep at it and finish this kit up soon.

I've been experimenting with colored pencils to see what I could come up with. Although I'm not 100% satisfied I believe it's good enough to give it a go and finish up the remainder of the wooded area of the fuselage.

I've also assembled the Maxims.

Dwayne
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 - 03:02 PM UTC
Interesting effect with the pencils Dwayne . Looking forward to seeing the out come of this .

Terri
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 04:35 PM UTC
Thanks Teri. Here's an update. I have the starboard side, top deck and underside finished. I gave the fuselage fittings a coat of green/grey to set them off.

I will complete the port side and then it's onto putting this thing together. Feels kind of like I've completed a hurdle that had me stumped for quite some time.

Dwayne
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 - 12:57 AM UTC
Hi Dwayne:

I like the effect of the pencils. When I get back to modeling I have some pencils that I would like to employ to see what kind of effect I can get. Nice to see this coming along.

Best

Mark
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2011 - 07:21 AM UTC
Folks,

Just a little update. Finished the woodgrain and it's off to putting this thing together.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

More to come soon.
Dwayne
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2011 - 09:32 AM UTC
Kind Folks,

Does anyone know a good source that stocks AirScale decals who has a quick turn around time?

Appreciate it,
Dwayne
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2011 - 03:23 PM UTC
Greetings Dwayne,
We missed you around here. Glad you could continue with the build. You might want to check with Des. He has some he offers gratis. I would send an Intl. Reply Coupon to compensate for the postal costs. I just got the HGW bezels so I may have to order some of the Airscale sets too.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 06:06 AM UTC
Thanks Steven, I went to his website, ww1aircraftmodels.com/ and ordered directly from Airscale. I had them in 5 days.

Here are some more progress shots.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Next up is some touch up on the rib tapes and then i'll attach the upper wing. Rigging holes have been drilled already.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Hope to have more pics up by next weekend.

Dwayne
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 12:06 PM UTC
Kind folks, better late than never! Finally finished. For me this was the introduction to this new manufacturer and a new scale. I like what I see. This one is pretty much straight from the box except for the wood grain and the edelweiss markings. I did the wood grain with Prismacolor colored pencils. I traced an enlarged decal for the edelweiss from the Eduard 1/48 limited edition Jasta 5 Albatros.

Here are the pics in random order. Some were taken out doors and others indoors.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

My apologies for my tardiness, sometimes life gets in the way of hobby time ... and so it goes.

Regards,
Dwayne
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 01:07 PM UTC
Greetings Dwayne!

Another fine build with your signature wood grain. Life intervenes but the otherside of the coin is kits happen! Model On!
 _GOTOTOP