_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2011 Fokker Eindecker Figuremad
FigureMad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 118 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 10:38 AM UTC
Hi Guys

This is my second aircraft build and even better its in another GB.

This is the Eduard 1/48 Dual Combo SPecial Edition of the Fokker Eindecker, I had planned on portraying it as MvR’s first solo flyer that he crashed, but there seems to be a lack of real info on the serial numbers for that aircraft, so may have to plump for the Immelmann version, this is up to the position of closing the fuselage, before I sand off all the rib detail from the back end of the fuselage, then add the PE detail. its not an easy scale for me, getting the machined metal fuselage front section looking any thing like right, well I know I haven’t hit that so, I hopefully can do a better job on the outside.

Oh I found a little bit of info out the other day while looking for rigging material for this little kit, I picked up some really battered Scalectrix cars from a car boot sale, and stripped the motors, the copper wire in the motors is extremely thin but flexible, so I am gonna do a test on this before I give it a go on the finished thing

thanks for looking

Dave

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 12:15 PM UTC
Hi Dave:

Looking pretty good so far. One of the guys in the club painted the metal with a metalizer, buffed it, and then made the machine marks with an eraser. I haven't tried it, but it looked convincing. I think he made the eraser into a point by putting in a pencil sharpener. Not the little one with a razor but the wall mounted grinder type.

Best

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 12:24 PM UTC
She is looking really good so far Dave ! Have you ever tried smoked invisible thread for the rigging ? This might be a better option then use the thin copper wire . Over time this will start to sage when used in long lenghts .

Looking forward to your next up-date !
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 08:29 PM UTC
A nice looking start. keep it up I think smoke invisible thread is probably a safer bet for rigging too, as Terri said. If it does sag at least a little heat will retension it too. But that thin copper wire will have lots of uses I'm sure.

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 04:49 PM UTC
Don't forget to sign in here.
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 02:22 AM UTC
This is a kit I´ll would like to see in 32-scale.Your work incleuding metalpainting is one off the kind, I like it alot and will follow this closley

//Larsa
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is a kit I´ll would like to see in 32-scale.Your work incleuding metalpainting is one off the kind, I like it alot and will follow this closley

//Larsa

You and me both Larsa and I imagine more than a handful of others...Oi Mr Wingnut are you reading this?
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 10:25 AM UTC
I thought that WNW had one of those in development. It would be a giant leap forward from the only other kit that was available in the past-BattleAxe .

Back on topic: I also like your start. For the one that I built, I used an aluminum enamel base, then applied a mixture of silver and gunmetal metalizer (non-buff) as squiggles using a pointed brush. That seemed to work okay.

Hope that helps.
FigureMad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 09:48 PM UTC
Hi Guys and Gals

Just a quick updater, I have been laying low for a while, as I have been fairly ill, and unfortunately modelling took a back seat....

But at it a gain now, so here is the update, fuselage is closed and sanded to remove the unsightly ribbing that was on the rear section, replaced the aluminium plate underneath as I had damaged it so.

I have got to say this is a great little kit, but some of the fit of parts is quite loose, but that might not be a bad thing. just started working on the front section of the fuselage so as to be able to add all the PE to the out side, ready to take the colour......

Thanks for looking

Dave

wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 12:42 PM UTC
Always liked this plane... even before I knew I liked WWI birds . Looks good so keep the progress coming.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 04:48 AM UTC
A real beauty of a build. I like your treatments of the different textures – keep it coming as it develops.

Second, what others have said here on the 1:32 subject of the Eindecker. I have the B.A. in the stash – but may well wait for WNW to release theirs. I would like to have one in my collection...

Mikael
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 09:23 AM UTC
I really like these Eduard kits. Whenever I seem to get myself into a modeling slump, I like to pull one out and build it up OOB. They are great because they go together good and look great. As for 1/32nd, that is my primary building scale, so I would love to see the WNW kit appear on my doorstep soon. But these Eduard subjects will always be special to me. (I have a few Eindeckers in my stash)

Dave, your metal is fantastic and the fuselage looks well apointed. One thing you might want to try, and I tell many people this, put some texture decals over your CDL when you get to that stage. You will be amazed with how they transform the looks of the CDL. The one you are building is a prime candidate for this treatment.

Great build, Dave.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 01:29 AM UTC
Nice to see some progress Dave ! She is coming along very well
Looking forward to your next update !
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 03:18 AM UTC
Hi Dave

The interior looks great. Keep those updates and pics coming.
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 02:53 PM UTC
Looks great I really like the eindeckers. Gonna grab ein of the WNW kits when they come out.
FigureMad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 04:54 AM UTC
Hi Guys

Just a little update on this, unfortunately, I am not in a position to carry on modelling and haven’t been for many months, life has made its way into my hobby time in a dramatic way, so unfortunately this may never get finished, I have enjoyed what I have done.

I may be back at the bench some day, but not in the near future.........

Thanks for all your help and encouragement

Dave
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 05:01 AM UTC
I'm really sorry to hear that Dave. Thoughts are with you and I hope life turns better for you.

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 06:01 AM UTC
No worries Dave,

We are here when you get back to it. Please take good care of yourself. We are all rooting for your return!
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 07:42 AM UTC
Hello Dave:

I echo Stephen's sentiment, take care and we look forward to your return.

Best wishes

Mark
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 08:57 AM UTC
Dave,
I sincerely hope your "someday" (when you return) comes sooner rather then later; Best Wishes and we'll be here to welcome you back.

Cheers & God Bless,
Lance
 _GOTOTOP