_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Russell Smith's Art
redalb2253
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 02:02 PM UTC
We need to ask Russell Smith to post his art on this site.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 11:24 PM UTC
As a matter of fact he has posted several of his inprogress work here. These are just a few.

close quarters

Sopwith Camel

MvR Alb.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 04:41 AM UTC
Well I'm of mixed feelings, I do think Russells work is second to none but unlike sites like *the aerodrome* our site is more model specific.

There again I don't want to seem like Mr Grumpie either

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 08:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I'm of mixed feelings, I do think Russells work is second to none but unlike sites like *the aerodrome* our site is more model specific.

There again I don't want to seem like Mr Grumpie either Keith

Not with that hat on you won't be able to seem grumpy! What I like about Russell's art work is that its a lot like our process. He even uses large scale model a/c in his studies before and during the painting. Also unlike some artists his is far more proportional.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 09:20 AM UTC

A Lesson From the Master" is a depiction of the famous aerial encounter between Ernst Udet and Georges Guynemer. Both were out alone when they came across each other in the sky. A fight ensued which lasted for many minutes. After a long standoff, Udet finally drew a bead on Guynemer only to have his guns jam. Being defenseless at that point, Udet though himself a sitting duck. He beat on his guns with his fists in an attempt to unstop them, all the while anticipating the lethal shot from Guynemer. To his surprise, however, the unexpected happens - “For a moment I have let go of the stick and hammer the receiver with both fists. A primitive expedient, but sometimes it works.

Guynemer has observed this from above, he must have seen it, and now he knows what gives with me. I’m helpless prey. Again he skims over me, almost on his back. Then it happens: He sticks out his hand and waves to me, waves lightly, and dives to the west in the direction of his lines.

From his Facebook
 _GOTOTOP