_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden's Nieu. 24bis 1:72
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 12:47 PM UTC
This will a build review of Rodens new kit on the N-24bis . It's always a treat to build in this scale when I can ( they are just so cute ! ) The build will be out of the box with a few details added here and there .

Stephen has done a excellent in box review on the kit already , so I will not get into it here . The review can be seen here.

more to follow soon .........................
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 05:27 AM UTC
Work started with painting up the cockpit in preparation for the wood graining .

There are two injector pin makes on Part 9B ( heel skid plates for the rudder bar ) which will need to be filled with some care sanding afterwards . These are in a awkward place and one might feel better on scratching a new .

Not overly to happy with how the cowl is mouned in two halves . The front part # 3A over laps the rear portion part # 21A and will need sanding to get her smooth with the rest . One will also have to check their refs . After studing pic's in the datafile and coloured profiles . There is panel line on where these two parts meet , while others did not .

The last pic in the upon post is the spuce which comes in Rodens camel kit . This does come in the N-24 kit as pointed out in Stephen's review . Only parts used off of this is parts # 31K , engine , 11K , 23K , 15K for mounting the engine to the firewall . And the vicker guns . The rest of the parts can be added to the spare box for future projects .

The engine is nicely detailed in this scale but clean up in the rear for mounting part 11K will be a challenge for some . Rather a pain on having this injector pin stub but better then having this on the cyclinders .

The side detail to the fuselage sides are nice , but a little over scale for my liking . One always has the option to sand this down and replace with plastic stock with their liking . I didn't fill the injector pin marks on the fuselage sides for these will not be seen once every thing is button up .

RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 09:16 AM UTC
Terri,
Looks nice so far! I am really looking forward to the rest of your build... and the 1/32nd version!
RAGIII
B24Liberator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
AeroScale: 113 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 07:18 AM UTC
Hello Terri!

Wow - Great to see you build a 1/72! Looking forward to the progress.

~Johannes
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 01:41 PM UTC
Thanks Rick , I'm kinda looking forward to the 32 scale as well -but rather have 48 scale .

Johannes , nice to see you in the forums .

I ready to button up the fuselage halves before I do this pic's will be posted this weekend .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 04:02 PM UTC
the build is moving along nicely with the cocpit painted up and ready for closing .

One does have to follow the steps in the instruction for mounting the parts . One cannot just drop it in place once the fuselage halves are joined . you have to mount the right side of the fuselage to the wing structure . Care test fitting and a little trimming was needed on the inside edges to get a good fit . Filling will need to be done once the other side is fixed in place .

I added a full pump to the right of the cockpit wall . The back of the fuel tank . Rudder bar cables , pe seat belts and had to make a new a throddled . ( carpet monster happy now ) I used srcap plastic cut to shape and PE lever .

Engine is finished and looks nice and is well detailed in this scale . For painting the engine I dry brushed this with some dried out Model Master buffable alum . Induction pipes pick out in copper and used a Tamiya smoke for a wash .

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 06:53 AM UTC
Lovely work Ms Werner I couldnt even think of 1/72nd with my fat fingers. Hats off to all who work some miracles in this scale.

Keith
bzak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 264 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 07:15 AM UTC
Howdy,

I just got this kit. Looks like a winner. I plan on doing the USAS trainer OOB.

Anyone with a Revell Sopwith Camel would love the extra parts as well.

Looks good so far Terri.

Brian Riedel
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 11:52 AM UTC
She is looking really nice Terri

I am most interested to see how you end up rigging it (and what you will use for cables and turnbuckles).
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 12:14 PM UTC
Thanks Keith ! Not my main scale , but it is ejoyable building them

Brian , it is nice kit isn't it ! So far she builds nice ..........
When do you plan on starting yours ?

Thanks Dennis , rigging will be done the same way I do it in 48 scale . Wire hoop and q-tip method ...just smaller !
I will post pic's on how I do it when it's time for the rigging .
bzak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 264 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 12:28 PM UTC
Howdy,

At the moment I have Sopwith fever. Started to try and do a proper build of the 1/28 Revell Camel. Should I hit a wall, I might do the Nieuport as a breather, as I don't bother to rig 1/72 anymore.

Brian Riedel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 01:54 PM UTC
Progress continues with the fuselage joined and glued in place . One must follow the instruction's . You can't join the halves and the fix the lower wing in place . The rudder bar assembly is in the way stopping the the parts on the lower wing to pass through .

I didn't have any trouble with fixing the right side of the fuselage to the lower wing . The left side fitted really excellent , but sanding or scraping the inside of the wing root on the fuselage halves aids in this step .

The over all fit of the lower wing isn't bad , but as you can see it is typical Roden in this area . Some putty and sanding will take care of this easy to get a smooth finish .

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 - 03:15 PM UTC
Sorry for the lateness here folks , computer issues ....

I have done some more on this build review and will have pic's up in a few days ......
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 - 07:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have done some more on this build review and will have pic's up in a few days ......

Computer issues, or the kit is so fun to build that I can´t get enough
She´s a beauty Terri.just love the way you tackle the build.
//Larsa
Don´t you watch too much WM hockey now,you better build models
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 03:32 AM UTC
Progress continues on with the build . All join lines have been sanded puttied and cleaned up ready for primer to see how well I did .
The cowl fitted wonderfully on this build with no trimming or sanding which made me a very happy camper indeed .

On the tail plane part number 8A is a different story . This is the extension for the turtle deck to the tail plane and this did not fit all that great . Careful filling and sanding needs to be done so one does not lose the stringer detail on the turtle deck . The tail skid housing is also the same with just being a tad to big on the sides foruming a lip where it meets the fuselage . With careful sanding or shaving down the sides will fit this .

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Computer issues, or the kit is so fun to build that I can´t get enough
She´s a beauty Terri.just love the way you tackle the build.
//Larsa
Don´t you watch too much WM hockey now,you better build models

Thanks Lars !
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 03:57 AM UTC
Terri,
Very nice progress. Looks great ! By the way the 1/32nd Nieuport 24bis is now listed as a May release
RAGIII
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 02:09 AM UTC
Hi Terri,

I thought I'd check in to see how the build is coming along.

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 12:01 PM UTC
First off , I'm very sorry for the delay in the build review . All is fine now

Rick , not my scale really , but a most excellent release for the 32 scale builders . Nice to see the range growing though

As a matter of fact I do have some progress to report here .

The airframe and wings I brush paint ( more a dry brushing effect ) Testors Model Master Aluminum expect for the cowling and top alum panel . These areas will get airbrushed a gloss white for the AlcladII polished alum . But before I do this . A clear cote will go for the decals then some masking wing ribs and a spray of Tamyia smoke , dullcoted The the cowl will get done . The lacquer re-acts to the Alclad in a bad way .

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 10:05 AM UTC
Made some progress and got the decals on and sealed with a coat of future .

There is an error with the decal placement for the pennet on the top wing . On back of the box the intsructions call decal number 14 to be used , this sound be decal 15 instead .

Now I have used Rodens decals in the best with passable results riding along the side with negitive results . This time around the were in fact excellent to work with . They did not fall apart into a million bits when water hits them also comforming to the surface very well . I did make a light pass for the contorls and hit with supersol . Might have to to this again though .

A few more coats of future in perp for the masking tape . Tamiya tape will be used , never had a ieuss with the tape lifting decals .

guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 10:53 AM UTC

Great work Terri I was impressed with the decals also.

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 - 12:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work Terri I was impressed with the decals also.

Mark

Thank-you Mark

Yes , it was nice to work with their decals . Roden has improved in this area over the past few years .

Tonight will be finishing up on the painting of the smaller items while the last coat of future dries .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 12:14 PM UTC
Made some progress on the build . Yes I know this one is taking a bit of time and I do apologize for this .

mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 12:44 AM UTC
Looks great!

What are you using as "sleeves" to represent the turn buckles?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 03:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great!

What are you using as "sleeves" to represent the turn buckles?

Thanks for the comment

I'm using stretched q-tips for the turnbuckles . Brass tubing is becoming the choice of modellers , but I like this method . By controling the heat and pulling at different speeds ( same as stretched spuce ) a very wide range of tubing can be made .
 _GOTOTOP