_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Help with painting Eastern Front Marking
CanDid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 98 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 11:31 PM UTC
When painting yellow Eastern Front Markings (1:48 scale), how do you plan your work

I intend to use H413 RML04 Yellow for my project and i plan to paint a layer of wihite for starter.

Is it it best to paint the markings first and mask them off while doing the rest of the paint job, or should they be added last when camo is finished?

Thank's!
/Fred

Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 01:42 AM UTC
I usually paint the i.dent colours last just as they would have been in the field. Easier to remove the paint lip and touch up if necessary. Just remember to remove some of the adhesive from the tape first to reduce the possibility of paint being peeled off. It is your prerogative as to when to do what. The nationality marking's positioning was predetermined all else was situated afterwards. Though you can find where this was not the case. Luftwaffe painting guides at the start of the war were strictly adhered to later on anything can be found. That is one reason why I enjoy painting Luftwaffe a/c.
CanDid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 03:16 AM UTC
Snorri23, thank you for your detailed answer. I guess this is the way to go with some extra attention taken to proper masking.

More opinions?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 04:12 AM UTC
I prefer doing it the opposite way, right after priming and preshading. I feel it's easier and more convenient as you don't have to prime the areas to be painted yellow in case the camo colours are dark.
The masking effort is pretty much the same with this method, as you have to take equal care positioning the tape prior to painting the rest of the colours as when painting these markings last.
CanDid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I feel it's easier and more convenient as you don't have to prime the areas to be painted yellow in case the camo colours are dark

That is a really good point! I figure this method is really good on black/green(ish) camos, such as the Finnish for example.

For some reason I have a feeling that yellow colours dries slower than others and are quite sensitive for a few days. Is it just me or?
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 07:48 AM UTC
Personally, I paint Gelb 04 always first. Once I used white as primer, but the overall look remained the same as 2 coats of 04...
Although Trevor's approach is the "real thing", you can have issues in covering dark shades (i.e. RLM 71, 74 or plain black). The amount of layers to achieved good coverage depends on one's capabilities in painting and/or good paint dilution, either for brush or pistol, scale and other murphy's law unexpected mishaps

So to prevent all this i use the 04 first.

Happy modeling everyone

Best
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 11:10 AM UTC
Hi Fredrik!
I always paint fuselage bands first before everything else comes on the outside. Especially yellow and white (and red) are difficult colours as they are not opaque with one coat. So if you have other (darker) colours underneath it makes it even more difficult. And it's a lot easier to paint them first as you don't have to cover half of the aircraft just for a small fuselage band. After painting the band I cover it with Parafilm M.
At the moment I'm working on 2 heavy fighters, a Bf 110 and a Me 410 for the "Zerstörer Campaign" and here the white fuselage bands are already painted. Now comes the rest .....

Happy modelling!
Torsten
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 05:33 AM UTC
I always paint the camo first and the yellow tactical markings later, the real aircraft were painted this way and no reason not to do it that way on our models too.
It is important to first spray some flat white on before you add the yellow paint, keep ALL the coats of paint very thin and you won't have a paint ridge at the edge of the paint colors where it was masked.

Below is a 1/72 scale Revell Bf 110 that I am working on and the camo was painted first and then the yellow markings.

Matrixone
CanDid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 03:35 AM UTC
Hi,

Thank you so much for all hits and tips. On this build, a Finnish Air Force Messerschmitt 109G-6, I decided to paint the camo first and add the markings last. Torsten, you were right, I had to clean up some over spray...

I will try the other way around next time, just to find out what suites me.

Thank you folks
 _GOTOTOP