_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Bell P-39D Airacobra
Bronze4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 02:04 PM UTC
Monogram 1/48 P-39 Built out of the box. This is the latest re-re-release (the Promodeler version). Kit decals went on nicely with Micro Sol & Set. Model Master Enamels used throughout.

I have always liked this kit. It’s a good kit to just get back to your modeling roots on.

Cut away into it, I am sure I’d agree with all the flaws pointed out so don’t hold back. I always like to here feedback no mater what you think. I can’t learn if I don’t know what’s wrong.

Dave Shaw
ivanhoe6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 04:44 AM UTC
Hi Dave,
I like it ! Good weathering, not over done, construction looks good too. I've built this kit a few times but never the ProModeler version. Does the PM one still have the Engine and gun bay details ? If so I'd open them up and show it off along with opening the "car door". Bottom Line, great Job ! Thanks for sharing ! Tom
retiredbee2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 04:52 AM UTC
Looks great presented on the Armorama. Looked even better Saturday at Charlies. Am ready to paint mine and bring it in next month. Thanks for the painting tips....................................Al
Bronze4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 09:52 PM UTC
Thanks Tom,

Yes it is still mostly the same old P-39. The new features are reworked front landing gear, now it is a little less clunky. They reworked main landing gear doors, the small ones and the main tires now are "weighted". There is now an addition of under wing gun pods to make building a P-39Q possible. Also they added a few figures to help get you started on a diorama.

Thanks Al,
I look forward to seeing it. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you need to.

Dave Shaw
Paul-H
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 234 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2011 - 07:55 AM UTC
Thats a great looking model you have there, well done.

The Airacobra to me always looked like it was a plane that was much better than it actualy was.

Paul
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 07:52 PM UTC
Greetings Dave,

I built an Aleutians based aircraft awhile back and I think it's a really underrated kit in my opinion. The only thing the kit lacks is a radio which should go behind the pilots armored glass (see second picture). I simply used a block of square stock to simulate one. That said, It's a great balance between detail and cost. Plus you modeled an North African bird as well!

All the best,
Brian

Bronze4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 08:21 PM UTC
Alright Brian, it’s always nice to see another Airacobra. If my mind is still intact, that’s Leslie Spoontz’s mount. That sure brings back a few memories. In fact those were the markings that my first Monogram P-39 whore some 25 years ago when having a little contest with my older brother. Though I used the wolf head not the “31”.

I love this kit I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of it. As for the missing radio, I don’t think that is a problem. The radio compartment is located just forward of the tail with the access on the port side. Looking at period photos most of the aircraft do not carry a radio on the motor behind the armored glass. I would suppose the few that I have seen were a second radio to monitor more than one freq at the same time. So in that respect having it there would be dependant on the aircraft you are modeling. With or without the radio is correct, just not I piece of blue painters tape.

As for the markings that I chose for this P-39 I don’t think it was in North Africa. According to the In Action book, and the kit instructions, it is the 51st FG in Tunisia. This I believe is wrong. The 51st FG did not have P-39s to my knowledge and they were not in Africa. They were in Burma and China in 1943. So if this P-39 was not in the 51st FG where was it from?

I think it is from the 30th FS in Chorrera Panama. I looked the serial number up online and found on an accident report site that a P-39D, 41-7031, piloted by Ray A. Robinson Jr. of the 30th FS was involved in a take off accident on 5 Jan 1943 in Chorrera Panama.

A lackluster duty station, yet an important one just the same. After all it would be in defense of the Panama Canal. I also liked the idea of giving credit to the guys that served yet didn't see action. Their job was important too.

Dave Shaw
 _GOTOTOP