Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Campaign Proposal :- 1/144 only campaign ?
V2Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 288 posts
AeroScale: 195 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 01:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Although there was a thread running in the general modelling forum 1/144 Scale modeling

Allen
Many thanks!!! This thread looks to be a great one to know about. I am trying to find some of the Matador 1/144 cockpits with one required for this campaign. That thread will be the best location for me to post some questions about them. I really appreciate the help!
Have fun modeling!
Mike
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 01:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll definitely need to work out how to post photos before then. I saw that there was a thread on how to do this, just ned to do a bit of reading!

Photos are easy. You need to host them somewhere like Photobucket or Imageshack. Copy the URL of the picture you want to post then click the little IMG button that you'll see at the bottom of the composing window. Paste the URL between the {IMG} and {/IMG} tags and you're in business
V2Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Photos are easy. You need to host them somewhere like Photobucket or Imageshack. Copy the URL of the picture you want to post then click the little IMG button that you'll see at the bottom of the composing window. Paste the URL between the {IMG} and {/IMG} tags and you're in business

Now that sounds easy! Thanks Jessie!!
With the thrill of a new found skill, let's see if I got this right. Here are two 1/144 airliners that I just so happen to have photos of in my photobucket account. The US Airways Carolina Panther jet is the Revell A319 while Obama's Campaign plane is the Minicraft 757.

Have fun modeling!
Mike
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 01:51 AM UTC
Looks like I got here just in time !
is there a topic or theme to this other than "144 only" ?

ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like I got here just in time !
is there a topic or theme to this other than "144 only" ?

you can have anything flying as long as its 1/144

paul
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 03:42 AM UTC
Hi everybody,

I will join this one as well. Building a 1/144 plane is a nice change from other projects.

Jelger
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Try an airliner, Samantha.

Come to the dark side. We have tiny packets of peanuts.

Hmm well I seem to have a Revell 'Haribo' airliner on the way. Two firsts in one campaign 1st small aircraft and 1st airliner.

I think January is going to be a busy month for me building wise

Hey Samantha! Did you get the gold one or the red and blue one? I was planning to build the red/blue outta my stash,but may change it up if you're building the same one...
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 09:24 AM UTC
Its going to be the red and blue one for me I don't think it makes a difference if we both build the same one though
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 10:32 AM UTC
If either of you want to do something different, I can highly recommend Draw Decal. I may just join in the 737 fun and do this one.

V2Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 02:48 PM UTC
The Kulula scheme is really great! Draw Decals did an excellent job with the decals also. Now, the big challenge will be to capture that elusive shade of green!''Have fun modeling!
Mike
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 04:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now, the big challenge will be to capture that elusive shade of green!''Have fun modeling!

Greg advises that Humbrol #38 or Gunze H16 (if you can find it) is a good match.
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 05:08 AM UTC
HAHA! That's awesome! I'll figure something out... One question I have... On airliners what's the SOP for windows? The kit has molded windows, but I've seen some build logs where the windows are filled, the entire fuselage sanded smooth, and detail is added with decals...
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 05:32 AM UTC
Windows are a point of contention for airliner modellers. Some people love them and others... don't. I fall on the "don't" side of the argument, so I fill the windows if they're left open. You may, of course, do the windows as you wish. Whichever way you do them won't be wrong. Just remember to paint the inside black if you do leave them open, otherwise the model will be spoiled by the white plastic being visible inside.

My rationale for using decals is that unless you're right up close, or looking at exactly the right angle, airliner windows don't look clear anyway.

If there are clear inserts, I use them, then just putty up the gaps, Otherwise I glue in a strip of plastic card behind the windows and then apply putty from the outside. I like to leave just the faintest "shadow" of the windows visible once everything's sanded down, so I know where to apply the window decals.

Other options to filling them are to apply packing tape to the outside of the fuselage and then fill from the inside with gap-filling superglue. Apply accelerator and then peel off the tape. Another technique is a snake of epoxy putty pushed through the window holes (again from the inside), and smoothed off level with the outside of the fuselage. I've never done this one, but it sounds good given how easy it is to sculpt epoxy putty with a little water before it sets up.

Anyway, do the windws the way you like (and only half the airliner modellers will say you're wrong)
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 08:34 AM UTC
Ok, this happens every now and then. The postman brought one of those brown parcels with a yellow label on one side. On the yellow label, "Hannants" in red...

Item No 1, a definite "must have":

I won't bore you with the contents but let's say like this: the mouldings are exquisite, the decals are marvellous, masks are included and someone decided that the Egyptian decal option with the large orange fields and the obscenely cool three-colour camo scheme should be blown up big and printed on the rear of the package. Someone with at least some sense for marketing ! I am already in love with this one. Heavily!

And hey, wait, there is some more:

Note how Eduard has a lot to learn from OzMods when it comes to presenting their goods in a way that wakes a modellers desire to own it ! Nothing wrong with the contents though, looks like a very nice kit and the decals are well printed. Size is very practical, it is a lot smaller than I expected...

Some, or maybe all, of these will end up in the campaign!

Magnus
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 08:46 AM UTC
Ozmods is god tier planes!

I have an Ozmods cast resin Caribou that I think might be my entry in this campaign. It has some very challenging aspects though, I'm not sure I'm equal to it.
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 07:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Now, the big challenge will be to capture that elusive shade of green!''Have fun modeling!

Greg advises that Humbrol #38 or Gunze H16 (if you can find it) is a good match.

jessie, the gunze h16 is available in europe if you need it.

paul
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 07:25 AM UTC
glad to see theres alot of interest in this campaign,we should end up with some great and very diverse kits.

paul
jjasmine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 112 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 05:35 PM UTC
Tons of great stuff in 1/144, I'm currently finishing a HobbyCraft AC-130H in the scale. If this campaign gets approved, I'm in.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 06:07 PM UTC
It is already approved. Starts Jan 1. Click on the CAMPAIGNS tab in the menu to see all the active campaigns.

I'm a big fan of 144 myself.
jjasmine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 07:24 PM UTC
Just ordered this from Squadron for this build. An A-10 Thunderbolt II from Heller in 1/144. I love A-10's and this is a great reason to build one.

Removed by original poster on 12/12/11 - 07:47:48 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 12/12/11 - 07:49:42 (GMT).
jjasmine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 07:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It is already approved. Starts Jan 1. Click on the CAMPAIGNS tab in the menu to see all the active campaigns.

I'm a big fan of 144 myself.

Saw it in the campaigns section after I posted and promptly enlisted!

Like I need another reason to buy a new kit
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 09:18 PM UTC
this is going to be a really good campaign, there are now over 30 of us and we're only 3 weeks away from the start.

paul
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 10:57 AM UTC
I love these little kits! I've got three campaign builds starting on the first though, so for a change I'm gonna try to keep it simple and fun. I've got Dragon's version of the A-10 on it's way. Gonna try to keep it OOB as possible, because my 2 other builds are gonna be pretty intense! This one'll be the one that helps me keep my sanity!