_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Early Nieuports Special hobby or A model?
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 11:18 PM UTC
Hi,

Anyone built either or both kits from these manufacturers? the type 11 or 16, in 1/32nd scale. Seems both Special Hobby & A model do kits of each.

I was just wondering which is best if either, or if theyre the same kit repackaged and what ppls opinions are of them in General.

I'm just looking to slip a few cockades into the line of iron crosses in my cabinet.

Ta

Keith
Microsculpt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 01:40 AM UTC
Keith:

Though I have not built either yet IMHO I would opt for the A-Model kit. The fidelity of the detail is very good. It has its quirks (like the seat back and fuel tank you need to fold - better replaced), but overall is a sound kit. Detail is a little soft in some areas compared to Special Hobby, but still quite acceptable. Very nice Lewis gun and engine. Fit seems good. Don't forget to remove the raised tapes on the wing struts (I don't know why all manufacturers insist on representing them that way.) Overall a higher quality kit than Roden (but not up to WNW).

Cheers!

Tom
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 03:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Keith:

Though I have not built either yet IMHO I would opt for the A-Model kit. The fidelity of the detail is very good. It has its quirks (like the seat back and fuel tank you need to fold - better replaced), but overall is a sound kit. Detail is a little soft in some areas compared to Special Hobby, but still quite acceptable. Very nice Lewis gun and engine. Fit seems good. Don't forget to remove the raised tapes on the wing struts (I don't know why all manufacturers insist on representing them that way.) Overall a higher quality kit than Roden (but not up to WNW).

Cheers!

Tom

Greetings Tom,

Maybe you could do a review for us?
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 06:41 AM UTC
Hi Keith

– Cant wouch for the A model ones, cause I haven't seen them – I have however built both of Special Hobbys offerings of Nieuports – and they were a very pleasant experience. They were also quite a bit cheaper than A models Nieports last time I looked.

You get a lot of nice things in the box too! The resin parts for the engine and cockpit are excellent, and there is a PE fret to accompany, that will give you some nice detailing. Decals were among the best I've ever used.

The one area that can be a bit difficult, is the engineering of the cabane struts, that lack a positive attching point – but nothing a modeler of your caliber can't handle

So to my mind you could'nt go wrong with one of the Special Hobby Nieuports!

– Heres a couple of pics of the most recent – The Lafyette Nie 16:

Best Regards

Mikael
 _GOTOTOP