_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2011 1/32 Albie D.III (OAW) warreni
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2011 - 06:39 PM UTC
Thanks heaps Marc I may just have to take you up on that offer as I did the 'Stropp' scheme for my D.Va and therefore used those decals out of the D.Va.. (crosses fingers)
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 03:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks heaps Marc I may just have to take you up on that offer as I did the 'Stropp' scheme for my D.Va and therefore used those decals out of the D.Va.. (crosses fingers)

Warren,
If Marc comes up "dry" let me know. I have both the DV and Va untouched and with a little forethought on what schemes I'll be trying I may be able to help as well. I've already cut into the Pheon Sheet (Vol 1) and robbed the white fuselage band for Lehmann's DVa for the band on my Pup build, leaning towards the Jasta 18 version with the straight "iron cross" version next.
Eye-catching scheme to say the very least, should really liven up your shelves.

Cheers,
Lance

wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 02:11 PM UTC
Warren I have them on the D.Va sheet and I have a new D.Va in the box beside so they are yours if you want 'em. FYI, I measured them an they are 32mm across to check your size against. Wait... that didn't come out right
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 10:55 PM UTC
Hi Marc.
I just went and checked my Albie and they need to be at least 33.5mm, Then I just happened to glance in my Roland D.VIa box and guess what was there.. Yep, decals just the right size and shape!
So many many thanks for the offer but I have some nice WNW ones I can use.
That is one of the things I like about WNW kits, the range of marking options. Although I would have liked to see a Red Baron Albatros in the markings. Not everyone has already build one.
Cheers and thanks again
Warren
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 12:18 AM UTC
It would have been my pleasure to help if need be. Glad you had them. if something happens to those too, I remeasured them, even before I saw this post... it's like I knew , and they are 33 mm. It's getting to the point where I need my Optivisor to read the ruler.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 08:28 AM UTC
I have been using a magnifying visor for a few years now. Is all too hard without it.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 - 04:24 PM UTC
I is finished...

Only two problems I had at the end of the build;
1. There is no directions as to where the coolant pipe goes underneath the wing, so I guessed..
2. I must have knocked the rudder off at least four times during the build. Hopefully it will stay on in the display case.
I took a little artistic licence with the decal on the rudder and located it totally on the rudder instead of over the hinge. I know I cheated , but only you and I know I did..
There is also a larger than I thought normal gap between the spinner and the fuselage but I was reading somewhere that some of the Albatri had this feature to improve cooling. (phew!)
And I shall not mention the R___n decals again and they shall be struck from all records...
Cheers
Warren
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 - 05:23 PM UTC
Warren, another great earlybird! And though I will agree that Roden's decals are a bit on the undesirable side, they are very good at shipping out replacement sheets (and instructions, if need be). When I built my D.VII, I wrote to them even before I started decal work asking for another sheet and they sent me a personalized email, then the decals arrived in Ohio from the Ukraine in roughly a week with a hand-written note on the back of a Roden postcard. The larger decals--for me at least--worked well enough if they didn't need cutting, and their customer service is better than that of some of the larger kit manufacturers. If you have a Roden kit, need spares, and will be using numerous decals on a particular model, I'd recommend just asking them for another decal sheet. Never hurts to ask, after all!
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 - 08:54 PM UTC
I too have had great service from Roden, no problem there. It may be that my decals were just old, but I had heaps of left overs from WNW builds so no real problem. And maybe I am doing something wrong when I apply the decals. I have never had a decal crack up after it has dried..

Again, I have nothing but praise for Roden as a company, in sunny Kiev..
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 06:18 AM UTC
Warren,
Absolutely love those Candy Stripes my friend.Congratulations on another great build.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 09:46 AM UTC
2 out of 3 finished. MY GOD MAN... what wil you do with all the free time, start 4 more?
Look great though... and I never did get that haircut
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 11:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Warren,
Absolutely love those Candy Stripes my friend.Congratulations on another great build.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Thanks Gregory
I went back and touched up the rear of the main wing after seeing that tell-all photo.. I did touch it up earlier but not enough!
Thanks
Warren
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 11:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

2 out of 3 finished. MY GOD MAN... what wil you do with all the free time, start 4 more?
Look great though... and I never did get that haircut

Well actually I started my RE.8 this morning. Couldn't sleep so got up and did a few hours then went back to bed for a while. Got the engine bearers together. I have noticed a few mix ups in the instructions number wise with these two WNW kits, for example there are two B26s in step one, and B11 and B12 are around the wrong way. I haven't sent these to WNW yet.
Photos later
Cheers
Warren
 _GOTOTOP