_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Maskol over Tamiya/Gunze acrylics?
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 10:56 AM UTC
Hello all,
I want to try the chpping technique with Maskol. I usually paint with Tamiya's or Gunze's acrylics, and read that Maskol contains ammonia. Will it harm an undercoat of Tamiya acrylic chrome/titanium silver simulating the metallic skin of the fuselage? Sorry but I don't feel ready to use Alclads yet!
Thanks in advance,
Giacomo
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 11:27 AM UTC
Hello Mr. Giacomo
I have tried it over Gunze acrylics and it will be removed fine, even half a month later, without harming the color underneath (BUT, it is a priority, that the color had left at least 2-3 days to dry completely). It is also far superior to the Gunze "Neo sol" masking fluid

Cheers Nick
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2011 - 06:42 AM UTC
Thanks! Unfortunately they had only Gunze's Masking fluid... so I got this one! I just applied some over a painted surface, let's see what happens!
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2011 - 08:43 AM UTC
Alternatively you could try the salt and water technique. I tried it for the first time recently for my entry in the Zerstorer campaign and did a mini how to in that thread Link to Thread (it's about half way down).
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 02:41 AM UTC
Great! Thanks for th head up, I'll carry out some testing tomorrow both with sald and masking sol.
flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 04:14 AM UTC
I used it for Kate that I did, for showing bare metal (tamiya flat aluminum) I didn't clear coat the base or anything, it worked just fine. I had some blunt sculpting tools that I used to peel the mask up after it was done. I must confess, I sometimes rush on projects, so I had the maskol on about 8 hours after I sprayed the Tamiya Aluminum, but it worked fine.
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 06:52 PM UTC
The reason behind the hassle is because Kleer/Future is a floor polish, and ordinary polishes are susceptible to floor cleaner/washing-up liquid spills, which are always possible in kitchens. To counter this, polish manufacturers started, in the 1970s, to add a chemical (zinc stearate) which better binds the molecules together, making them impervious to ordinary cleaners. Of course, when the polish has to be renewed, the old has to be stripped off, first, and this necessitates a cleaner containing ammonia, since it's the only thing that will destroy the stearate, and allow the cleaner to do its job. Paint manufacturers are unlikely to worry about washing up liquid, so should see no need to add the stearate.
Edgar
wonktnodi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 190 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 08:11 PM UTC
Hey James, do not use Maskol over tamiya paint, it will bond to the paint and become very difficult to remove. I tried this on a 1/35 DML panzer I. Needless to say I had to bead blast the old paint off. Maskol does work wonrerfully over model master enamel paints or Krylon enamel spray paint.

Thanks,
R.J.
flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 11:31 AM UTC
As I was, I take back my post, I used Micro Mask, not maskol. I had to recheck the container. Sorry about that!!!
 _GOTOTOP