World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Accurate Miniatures Yak-1b 1:48
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 07:31 AM UTC
Jessica, I was thinking according to your explanation, but what do I know... However, already first fine touches with AK-interactive dark steel pigment and dark rust really improve the appearance. I will have to be careful not to exaggerate details. But as I said earlier, machines that I saw on photos were dirty and full of improvisation of an airfield maintenance crews... They used literally everything they had at the moment, and historical evidence proves a lot of improvisation... therefore I think some "artistic" freedom is allowed and welcome
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 11:21 AM UTC
After application of dark steel and track rust pigments, this battered veteran will wait until the final stages of this project to receive oil and other "spectacles"... remember that I have to wire it up and also do the piping,, plus installment of the UBS above the port engine block. So, just two photos of the veteran... Tomorrow I will move to the cockpit. The instruments are waiting to be installed... even the flare gun

Thank you all for kind words and support!!!

GhostHawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 05:33 AM UTC
Hi,

I haven't got enough English to congrats your job...!!!!

GREAT...!!!!!

Thanks
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 08:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

I haven't got enough English to congrats your job...!!!!

GREAT...!!!!!

Thanks

Thank you very much for your words... I am happy when people find my work interesting! All the best!
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 09:58 AM UTC
When you end up with the project such as this, sometimes it is very hard to keep the pace with yourself... Again, it is very difficult to set it aside for awhile and change the order of battle. As I proceed with this build step by step, I always find it difficult to plan every step accordingly. This time I almost forgot what was planned, so I wrote down some of the assembly steps in order not to forget something, or leave some detail unattended.

Before I could proceed with the installation of the cockpit sides, I had to install the rudder pedals and connect two paired sets of rudder control strings. For this work I used some very fine (0.08 mm) fishing nylon. The trickiest part was to get them through the small holes of rudder control mechanism underneath the rudder pedals. Some knowledge of fly-tying is crucial here, and because I don't fish myself, I had to improvise. After the control cables were in place, I secured them to the wings with strips of masking tape. The strings are so tiny that they are barely visible, but they will be visible once I paint them and connect them through their fuselage mechanism (small guiding poles) to the rudder. I will forget them for now.

Next came the cockpit starboard side with instrumental panel and consoles already in place. The parts of the fuselage cockpit framework were attached to the engine bearer and installment hinges at the rear root of the central wing console. However, minor mistakes are now visible, but as this is only the first stage of the cockpit installation, I will keep adding things and then repair smaller mistakes.

With all those bits and cables dangling around, the accidents are just waiting to happen. Few bits have fallen off, but generally I am handling this quite well (and not without the third hand and magnifier). This is really packed scene, and I will need to connect everything properly. Some bits (like cockpit oxygen regulator - that blue instrument underneath the starboard console) are scratched and they are really tiny. The instrument panel is PE part with typical acetate instrument dials. However, it is really nice piece. With so many things still waiting to be installed, I must be careful not to "overdo" the scene. I might even give up installing some pieces in order to get some clarity. Too many details may also ruin the overall impression... So, feel free to comment! I thank everybody for support and your kind words. Just remember that this is my first kit. I am sure I will spoil it at some point
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 07:40 PM UTC
Wow...I build Accurate Miniatures' Yak-1b some time ago. At least that's what the box said it was...compared to your model, mine can hardly be identified as a Yak! Keep up the outstanding build, and I'm glad you got yourself a feature out of this!
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 08:18 PM UTC
@Robbie: As I said earlier, although it's an old kit and not without problems, it offers a lot of potential for work such as mine. I just enjoy working with it... However, I gave it a hard time, since more that 50% of the original kit suffered some kind of surgery. Well, we will see how it will all end up! Keep the good work on your side as well!!!
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 05:42 AM UTC
Busy work at the office and some tiredness kept me off the bench for awhile. First attempt at dry fit of the wing and fuselage revealed issues of which I am fully aware now. The joints are not that bad and the fit itself is not disastrous. However, the geometry of the air-frame was radically altered due to the immense surgeries of the original kit. Having in mind that, the fit itself is not disappointing at all.

One of the prominent mistakes and inaccuracies of this particular build are visible on the port side, where the ammunition box for UBS 12,7mm machine gun is supposed to be. Because I had some problems with the engine bearer installation (it had to be moved more to the rear of the aircraft), the ammo box compartment is now situated too far from the original position. This is a minor inaccuracy, but it will be prominent when everything is finished. However, I will try to fix this problem by simply cutting it off and scratching the ammo box in open position (which is not a bad idea because this will be a diorama in the end).

There are also other inaccuracies and minor fit issues, but the toughest thing was to get the pilot seat into the cockpit after it was already glued in place. I had to do this in this manner, because of the rudder control cables and other things that had to be in place before I was able to get the seat in. Some parts are still missing (harness and other thingies), and I will have to work more in order to scratch some missing parts before I install the fuselage framework. For instance, I will have to install the water radiator and radio compartment, and then move to the framework itself. The framework will provide some structural stability and (hopefully) improve the geometry of the plane.

Minor problems are still visible, but there is not much that I am able to do in the cockpit, because the reach is impossible. You will also notice generous coats of Mr.Surfacer 500 in some areas, but the final "make-up" of the plane is still far away. After a long consideration, I decided to buy some AKAN paints and try them for the final paintwork. I am still waiting for my repair kit (valves) for my airbrush, so I cannot do much painting anyway. Thank you all for your support and kind words!!
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 166 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 06:49 AM UTC
Wow, this just keeps getting better and better! Your cockpit and engine work is just fantastic. Entoni, you are truly a Master Modeler.

I can't help notice something missing from your recent photos though...where is Mrs. Panda?

Cheers,
Eric
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can't help notice something missing from your recent photos though...where is Mrs. Panda? Cheers, Eric

Eric, thank you for your kindness, but I am miles away from being a master... Maybe some talent is there waiting for fruition... but your remark on Mrs. Panda really makes me laugh!!! She was definitely angry with me and decided not to follow the build... Will have to find the way to win her over again... Maybe she'll decide to reveal herself once again. Thanks!
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 09:42 AM UTC
Just a quick update... Although the work at the office kept me off the bench, I am progressing step by step. This time it was the water radiator with radio compartment set.

In the real aircraft, this was usually situated behind the pilot's seat, although many machines didn't have radio units. I was not sure about this particular machine (because I don't have enough reference photos at hand). So it was a simple guess, but I decided to scratch it because otherwise it would be a simple waist of talent. I must admit that I am losing some energy and affection for this particular build, and sometimes it can be noticed in my posts. However, paying close attention and maintaining the proper sequence of installation of various sub-assemblies is prerequisite in such a complex builds. I simply forgot to install the front aluminum panel which diverted the air to the radiator face and acted as a wind tunnel. It is not a disastrous mistake, but (unfortunately) will be noticed missing. I cannot correct it now, but I will add the rear panel which will be more visible through the open framework.

I am also happy that Mrs. Panda is again with us, and that was all due to your request, because she simply ignored my with a sigh. I don't know what she thinks of the build so far, but it seems that she was closely observing completely unnoticed. Now when replacement airbrush seals are here, I will have to wait for the AKAN paints to arrive in order to proceed with the build.

I need proper rest, because the most intricate part is still ahead of me, i.e. mounting of the rear tubular framework with all internal details and flying controls exposed, plus vertical and horizontal stabilizer... then I will turn to the undersides (remember the starboard fuel tank compartments, flaps and ailerons)...

However, the build is nearing the point of completion, or at least the final stages are not difficult to envisage. This is the good time to start thinking about I my next project. Since I have to read the references and gather enough material, I cannot build that fast.

With the Fw-190 campaign approaching (for which I enlisted also), I was thinking to ask you to help me chose my next build, besides the campaign picks. With so many models in the stash, I have problems deciding (and more often than not, I am very indecisive when it comes to builds)... I will single out three picks at this moment, and the highest vote until the end of this build will be my second choice for a super-detailing challenge, so here they are (all in 1/48 and not by the order of preference):

1. Tamiya's Heinkel He-219 A-7 UHU
2. HiPM's Blohm&Voss BV-141B
3. Revell's (a Hasegawa rebox) of Arado Ar-234B

Help me choose by casting your vote!

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 01:33 PM UTC
If you want a relaxing build where everything clicks together right out of the box do the Uhu. If you're looking for a chalenge with all sorts of colourful language to accompany your build, the HiPM kit is the one for you. The AR-234 is in between those extremes, but much closer to the Tamiya than the HiPM.
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 07:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you want a relaxing build where everything clicks together right out of the box do the Uhu. If you're looking for a chalenge with all sorts of colourful language to accompany your build, the HiPM kit is the one for you. The AR-234 is in between those extremes, but much closer to the Tamiya than the HiPM.

Jessica,

Thanks for the advice. I somehow guessed the order of preference there. Close inspection of the kits was enough to conclude in accordance with your observation. However, I wouldn't underestimate some potential of the HiPM kit as my "platform" for superdetailing. I also have some aftermarket parts for UHU and Blitz, which would probably make the build more enjoyable along with easiness of the assembly. Can't you see my indecisiveness?? Anyway, thanks for the observation... My next concern are references. I really have abundant reference for the Blitz. However, Bv-141 is the worst on the list when it comes to the point of detailed references (because I don't have any).

Cheers

[edit] Jessica, have you decided not to cast your vote?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 - 02:18 AM UTC
Given that the BV-141 didn't enter production there are very few references available. This means that you're free to tell the accuracy police to go take a flying leap; they can't prove that your details are either correct or incorrect. Since it was to do the same job as an FW-189, and its cockpit area was similar, I'd guestimate that they looked pretty similar inside. After all these years who's to tell anyone differently?

For my vote, I feel strangely uncomfortable telling someone what to build. Think of the one that would make you happiest and do it
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For my vote, I feel strangely uncomfortable telling someone what to build. Think of the one that would make you happiest and do it

nothing personal, just a way to beat indecisiveness... all the best! I will set it aside for awhile!
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 - 07:20 AM UTC
With so many things that persistently keep me off the bench, any progress is significant. I somehow managed to get the framework in place, but some minor fit issues are still there to be tackled with. However, I decided to rework only the areas that will be visible after I close everything with the upper fuselage installation behind the cockpit.

I also added the rear water radiator air tunnel panel, which was scratched from aluminum can. I also managed to squeeze the missing front panel, but I regret that (because now I see that the alignment of the entire water radiator is wrong, plus I had to compromise some accuracy and fill the nasty gap bellow the radiator casing due to bad fit. The accuracy police will definitely notice that, so it was better for me to confess all mistakes in advance I am still waiting my paint from LindenHill, and I hope that this build won't end up as an entry in future "hangar queen" campaigns. More progress and photos soon... Thanks.
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 10:10 AM UTC
The autumn is here, and our first whole-week family flu has hopefully ended. I didn't go to the office, but I couldn't be at the bench either. The scent of glue couldn't get trough a pair of jammed nostrils, but the time spent at home was an opportunity to reflect on the project as well. Looking in retrospect, I am more than satisfied... I proved to myself that I can actually model something, and also keep the focus (for most of the time). However, the announcements of the closing of this project were premature... There is still plenty of work to be done. I also wanted to improve many aspects of this wonderful kit, but I also made few crucial mistakes that cannot ruin the overall impression, but still will be noticeable once and when this kit is finished. But, hey - I am still learning a lot, and the closure of this project will be a success for me (no matter smaller or greater mistakes).

I felt better tonight, so I just couldn't resist going back to my modeling cave and continue with the build. I lost the rear gear leg somewhere, and I was left with only one option - scratch. The fact that I have the Part's PE fret proved crucial here, because it provided me with the leg scissors and the rear wheel hub. The rest is scratched from streched sprue, evergreen rods, and other bits and pieces. In the end, it looks just fine!

I could also scent the glue fumes for the first time after a week or more. It feels great! Now I had to concentrate on the horizontal stabilizer control rod that goes along the rear fuselage floor. I intentionally omitted some structural elements in the rear fuselage beneath the framework, because it would be too much for me (in the end, it doesn't have to be an exact replica, does it?)

When everything else is in its place, it will look much more busy and interesting. I am concentrating now on the farthest end of the aircraft, where most of the structural elements and control mechanisms will be attached. remember that the rear wheel leg is also fixed there, and everything will be visible through the missing fabric on the starboard side, as well as through the removed vertical and horizontal stabilizer access panel.

The rear support rod where the rear wheel suspension is to be attached is made from hypodermic needle, and I am also adding some rather small scratched details. So far, so good... I am happy to be at the bench again! Not much for this time, but for me it seemed like a major step forward...

All the best
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 10:48 AM UTC
The project stalled for weeks due to hardships at the office... It is difficult to regain the energy and do something meaningful, including modelling. Also, research for the trivia quiz required some time as well. I am glad that I answered the question in the end

This evening I managed to proceed with adding some bits to the rear framework. I also attached the rear wheel leg, which was partially scratched from styrene. I also scratched the rudder control cable's pulleys and attached it to framework. The cables are now secured, but still not connected to the rudder. I also added the horizontal stabilizer, but I must admit that the rear wing's dihedral is a bit compromised. Hmmmm... I am not sure that it is noticeable, but if I noticed that...

Nevertheless, I think I will get some time by the end of week and proceed with this interesting build. Just few more photos so that you can enjoy details The lighting was bad... but I am sure that photos will give you some clue of the hardships I was going through. Don't give up on me now!!!

Thanks for watching!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 01:48 AM UTC
Hi Entoni

This is a quite amazing build! A real inspiration!

All the best

Rowan
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 09:48 AM UTC
Entoni Im stunned everytime I come here to see your progress. Keep it going. Oh by the way, the Blitz would be cool!
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 01:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Entoni Im stunned everytime I come here to see your progress. Keep it going. Oh by the way, the Blitz would be cool!

Thank you very much for the support... It seems that the Blitz has got first points in the poll. Will keep you informed about the progress on the project! It is nice to see that people are actually following these builds... sometime it is hard to reagin energy for a particular build!

Thanks!
shivadog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 42 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 08:49 AM UTC
Great build!
4-BO-Green
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 - 05:35 AM UTC
One word for this... AMAZING!!!!...

Great build! educational and good

I also looked for the Yak1, but no luck here where i came from

Regards,

Remco
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 - 05:56 AM UTC
Brilliant work, my friend- I'm very impressed by the neatness of your work. Look at those cables- so perfectly spaced- so fragile! You are building the ultimate model- cjheers!

chuk
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 - 07:10 AM UTC
Thank you all for your great comments and support... Yes, this is indeed an educational build for me as well. The greatest challenge is patience... since this is my first attempt at superdetailing, it was also full of minor mistakes. After all, I am rediscovering the joy of modelling... so minor mistakes are tolerable. Still, your support was crucial in completing this model. So I dedicate this build to all of you. Thanks!!