_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Encore SE5a Kit
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 03:17 AM UTC
Forgive me if I have recieved an answer to this quick question before, I have done a quick search to no avail and want to confirm that the Encore Kit of McCudden's SE5a has the 4 bladed prop and LVG spinner included to build his 4891. (I have the Pheon decals) The kit description states that parts/decals are included for 4863 and 4851 which, to my limited knowlege, did not have the salvaged spinner. Squadron has the kit on sale for $30 off until end August and I hope to take advantage of the sale price. Can anyone confirm??
Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
Lance
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 03:51 AM UTC
Hi Lance,

It does seem like they are included – check this review out: link

30 $ seems a bargain for what you get in the box!

Mikael
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Lance,

It does seem like they are included – check this review out: link

30 $ seems a bargain for what you get in the box!

Mikael

Mikael,
Thank you for the great response. The Review is perfect and, assuming the kit contents haven't changed, has every thing I wanted. Also the decal sheet has the blue "dumbell" which I may use for my WNW planned build of Rhys-David's B525 (need to go back and check some prior research on the timing when the dumbell was removed and the white band applied)
The kit is on sale for $39.99 down from $69.99, quite a good deal.

I'll let you know what's in the box once I get it. I am one happy little modeler at this point!

Cheers,
Lance
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 07:58 AM UTC
Glad I could help Lance

– Looking forward to your build as well! For that price it may be wortwhile to order it for me as well – pitty the postage to here is pretty steep though... + I need to save my pennies for whatever WNW may release this weekend

Mikael
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Glad I could help Lance

– Looking forward to your build as well! For that price it may be wortwhile to order it for me as well – pitty the postage to here is pretty steep though... + I need to save my pennies for whatever WNW may release this weekend

Mikael

I was very careful when I ordered an hour ago to ensure my modelling "account" had enough remaining for whatever the weekend brings; pretty exciting stuff and I suspect we won't be disappointed. I am hoping for a previously un-mentioned release and if so.Camel! One has to dream a little.............
Cheers,
Lance
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 - 02:50 AM UTC
Having just recieved the Encore Kit in the mail from the Squadron I can answer my own (original) question. It's all there; resin includes two alternate top decks, LVG spinner, a radiator for addition of the PE faces, exhaust stacks and a regular 4 blade prop. Decals look great with 3 versions including 4891 and also the blue "dumb bell" I was looking for.
The quality looks very good at first glance and the resin is incredibly well done.
Mikael,
I don't think it's on sale anymore however it has been at this price every second or third month; it's a bargain so I'd recommend you keep an eye on their monthly flyer specials on their web site.

Cheers,
Lance
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 - 03:00 AM UTC
Hi Lance – and thanks for the in box peek I'll keep my eyes open for more bargains coming up on the Encore kits...

Best Regards

Mikael
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 06:29 AM UTC
I now am totally confused reference McCudden's #4891 which he flew early in 1918 (LVG spinner etc.)
The Encore kit provides everything required, decals, optional cockpit deckings and props/spinner. The instructions ,Option 3, show this aircraft with a factory standard cockpit surround (without the 56 Sqn raised/bulged mod) and labelled Dec 1917. The Pheon sheet instructions show the bulged modification for Jan. 1918 before the "G" marking was replaced with a "6". Various photos in the Osprey Aces and Windsock SE5 Sqn markings book are contradictory, some labelled as 4891 in one are captionned as his earlier mount 4863 in the other. (I lean towards the Windsock info)
The confusion may be caused by something as simple as WHEN the cockpit modification was done however I'd like to confirm the correct configuration from late Jan.1918 on when 4891 had the "6" applied.
Any advice/knowlege out the that may help?

Cheers,
Lance
 _GOTOTOP