_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Saetta and Ariete - 2 little Italians
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 04:44 AM UTC
Hi folks!
I want to show you my last 2 warbirds I finished just before my holidays. A few days ago I took the pictures on my kitchen table.
First I have here that cuddly little Macchi MC 200 Saetta. The kit is from Italeri and in 1/48 scale. The fitting is very good, everything goes together well, there's no filler needed. There's a small etched platine with some parts for the cockpit (instruments and seatbelts) and for the landing gear. That all makes the kit very enjoyable and worth the 25 Euros I paid for it. The kit is completly built out of box and not weathered.

There are 4 decal options of which I prefered of course the one from the Eastern Front. It shows an aircraft of the 369. Squadriglia, flown by the units CO Capitano Giovanni Cervellin from Saporoshje, autum 1941. All white parts are painted though they are also on the decal sheet. I used them as masks. All yellow parts are also primed with white.

I used a variety of colours, mainly Revell and Agama. The mottling is airbrushed in reverse (from inside to outside). First I sprayed brown and covered it with Revell Color Stop liquid mask. Then I sprayed sand and covered it also. After I sprayed green grey I could take off the masks and out came this nice scheme. But before the mottling I airbrushed white and yellow of course. The metallic cowling ring is airbrushed with copper 94 from Revell and masked with Parafilm M right to the end.

On my Eastern Front shelter the little Italian looks like this:

I made the shelter together with my friend Marc Toillié (mark58).
If you like to see some real Saettas (and Folgores), have a look at this great Youtube video. Just listen to the fantastic sound! I like especially the last sequence with the sound of the landing Folgore. Simply great!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv7P4eJ0V-E&feature=related

Happy modelling!
Torsten
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 05:08 AM UTC
The other quarterscale kit I made comes also from Italeri and needs a little bit more work than the Saetta. It's a Reggiane Re 2002 fighter bomber and doesn't go together well. There's some filler needed, especially between the fuselage and the wings. The cockpit looks quite rudimentary, also the wheel bays. They are just plain holes in the wings. The kit comes with a little booklet and costs also 25 Euros. That is too much for this kit. Italeri should have left the booklet out and payed a little more attention on the construction of this kit.

There are also 4 decal options and I have chosen the one of 239. Squadriglia based in Italy in early 1943. Here I used more or less only Agama colours, as they have some RA-colours in their program.

The white parts are on the decal sheet but again I prefered to airbrush them. It's really sad, that Italeri didn't put more effort in this kit, as it's the only one in 1/48 on the market. But I tried the best I can to be satisfied with it. The Ariete is also completly built out of box and not weathered.

Happy modelling!
Torsten
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 05:18 AM UTC
Very nice models Torsten! I especially like the mottling on the Saetta.

Although you didn't weather the models, a little bit accentuating the panel lines could add to the nice look of these planes.

Jelger
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 05:33 AM UTC
Super work there, really enjoyed looking at both of these Italian birds! Good job. The bases really accentuate things too! Russell
Warbirds68
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 05:16 PM UTC
Very nice!!!!!!!
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 06:44 PM UTC
Well done Torston, just the way they are.
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 01:42 PM UTC
Excellent Torsten, very nice both of them
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union