_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Fitted decals with rib tape...
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 12:33 PM UTC
I see that when the new WNW kit comes out it will have the lozenge printed to fit the wing with the tape in place. what are the general feeling, from you more experienced WWI guys, about having this all done up already? Is this something that the maker is doing for economic reasons and the modeling community will likely be getting their own lozenge and rib tape and doping the way it's being done now?

Having just finished all the rib tape on the Roland my 1st thought is HECK YEAH! But the question in my mind... Does the Pflaz D.XII always have that rib tape pattern? Even with my limited experience I noted there are 3 colors possible on the Alb D.Va. I was initially concerned with fit too. But having cut the Microsculpt linen decal to shape... and getting it pretty darn good... with hobby knife or scissors... I am guessing a manufacturer would be able to size and print them pretty OK too.

Oh yeah another question, this one more from an educational point of view. How even and/ or straight would the rib tapes be on the 1:1 aircraft?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 06:50 PM UTC
Here is a bit of fun on the subject of lozenge and rib tapes. Pfalz only used the lozenge cut rib tapes on their D.XII wings.

German Lozenge 101

Here is a bit of fun on the Special Hobby 1:48 Pfalz D.XII and some colour notes on one of my builds.
kit review

Now to specifics on Abatros D. types. All Alb. D.V types were Albatros Johannistahl machine so either lozenge or Salmon pink rib tapes.

Schneidemuhl (OAW) were light blue or lozenge ribtapes and they only built late model Albatros D.Va types after their contracts for the Alb. D.III (OAW) were completed.

OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 08:39 PM UTC
Hello Marc,

Interesting question – my guess would be that they are also doing it to facilitate the process for the builder... All that rib tape and cutting could be daunting for a beginner. It seems to me that WNW strategy is not only to appeal to the already converted WWI fan, but also to other builders who might want to take the plunge, if the kit seems easy enough... Hence, fitted rib tape, and EZ line and probably more things to follow.

But as you and Stephen pointed out, it would not be possible (for reasons of cost as well) to do this for all kits, like the Albatros (though Pheon has done two separate sets in this fashion), and the coming Fokker DVII (where there is both 4 and 5 colour Loz, pink, blue and loz tapes.

There is also a point, that I think Stephen has mentioned before: Fitted Loz will produce the same "pattern" result on all kits built – though in reality, this was not true...

Personally, I don't really enjoy the rib tape application, so I will not mind doing a fitted Loz wing now and again.

Well, thats my thoughts on the subject.

Mikael
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 02:15 PM UTC
Now for the more practical application for 1:1 aircraft. Fabric was often cut on long tables. These initial cuts determined how the fabric strips were ripped ( I have worked in Awning, Boat. Pool and Tauno cover manufacturing so I speak from experience. Modern aircraft fabric manufactures pink cut the strips for longer term storage. This means the edges were zig zag cut with pinking sheer blades. In WWI they were rip cut along the fabric waft. very little variation in width. This of course would leave some chance for fraying at the cut edges, but these strips were usually used the instant the were cut. Dope saturated inplace over the rib stitching on a covered wing.

Now Pfalz was a little different than some manufacturers. They even did the ailerons with rib tapes. This meant that the whole metal frame had to be fabric wrapped ( with strips) so the stitching had something to attach to under the fabric covering. Without this stitching the covering to the airframe there is no reason to do rib tapes. The stitching inplace of the fabric covering to the airframe prevented damaged fabric from ripping acorss the surface and kept it limited to the area only within the ribs.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 09:37 PM UTC
Hmmmm

My opinion is for easyology its great, I've used Pheon's for a build but at the same time it limits you to one look as said above. If you want more than one of the same kit then itt's going to show.

Another Issue is there is no room for error, mess it up and your screwed. That and any mods to the kit might make it unusable (thinking outside the build what you get envelope as in a different mark.)

So personally for a few dollars more I would like to see it as an optional extra in the Kit, So you get strips and preshaped which of course would give you a nice sheet of spare for *other projects*

_GOTOTOP