_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today): USA
Modern aircraft of the United States.
Revell-Monogram F-105D
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 03:40 AM UTC
I've got this kit in 1/48 scale and wonder if any of you have any information regarding aftermarket accessories for the kit. I've found the Eduard PE set for the kit and downloaded the instructions, but is there anything else "required" to make this a nice dsplay piece? Is the PE even required?
bat-21
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Namur, Belgium
KitMaker: 80 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 03:58 AM UTC
Black box is making a complete cockpit tub and a seat in resin.
I knaw in the past paragon was making the flaps and slat fully extended also in resin
but not existing anymore. If any members has this kit i would be interested by a remold.
Bat-21
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 04:56 AM UTC
There's is also a white metal landing gear set by Teknics available through Great Models.
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:38 AM UTC
Honestly Rob, the kit itself will make a very nice display piece just by itself with no aftermarket parts. Although the resin cockpit would be sweet to add.I was surprised though on how much the factory cockpit looks like, very accurate and it would be good for the model if you want closed-canopy with the pilot.
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

appease the JMN

I thought I knew all the acronyms around, but you got me here. What's JMN stand for?
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:54 PM UTC
I built it out of the box, and she turned out just fine. Maybe she could use some AM parts, but regular she is a gem!

~CHip :-)
BlueBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob;

I agree with Zach, the Monogram F-105D/F/G are all very good models without having to add all of that aftermarket stuff.

If you are out to appease the JMN or the Mini-MAG light troglodites, then by all means, spend the money and get the resin and PE stuff.

I still think that the kit is good enough to build without spending all of that extra money on it. And don't get me started on re-scribing....

Bottom line, a good kit, and it will still look good with or without the after-market twinkies. Now if you are going to build it as something other than what is provided in the kit, you might want to consider some of the alternative resin M118 bombs and 600 gallon centerline tank that is offered by Cobra Company.

regards,

Are the 3000lbrs and the super centerline still in production or do we have to lookin old musty hot dark places? I've got a first run Thud F that I need to get outfitted
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 03:27 AM UTC
Thanks for the input. Looks like this will be OOB for me. Sometimes those Eduard zoom sets dress these kits up with some bits for around the cockpit and such, but I didn't find one listed. Be interesting to do the one with German kill markings.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 10:14 AM UTC
"What's JMN stand for? "

I plan to build this Thud one day. Glad the concensus is that it's so good.

"Mini-MAG light troglodites", EXCELLENT! :-) :-) :-)

Regards,

Fred
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 06:46 AM UTC
:-) Excellant Model, I have had it for some years, but it has got pushed quite low in the order. Mainly because I build mostly WWII now.

Jeffry

Quoted Text

And don't get me started on re-scribing....

I'm intrigued about your thoughts on re-scribing, because when I build this baby i will re-scrib it :-) Reason being that it suits my weathering technique better #:-)
Mal
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 05:13 PM UTC
Sabot I was just at Hill AFB Museum last Saterday. I saw the F-105 with the eight German kill marks. The Thud is one impressive aircraft. The story behind it with the pilot and the victory marks would indeed make a great model. Excellent choice in my humble opinion.
Brian
uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 05:48 AM UTC
Really nice to hear about the favorable reviews on the RM Thud. I have this kit waiting in the wings to build as well. Every so often I'll bring it down off the shelf to admire it in the box. I've seen this kit built and is rather an impressive jet. It is also very BIG sitting next to an F-15. You'll be happy building this kit, not bad fit, typical Monogram raised panel lines, which really does not take away from the overall appeal of the model. At least for me. And for it's age the cockpit is pretty good in detail. only maybe an ejection seat otherwise you just may getaway with the provided seat if building it for yourself.

Chuck
Fly Navy
keenan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 06:16 AM UTC
Link to the story of the Thud with the German kill marks is below. That is a good story, and an interesting subject.

http://www.hill.af.mil/museum/photos/coldwar/f-105d.htm

Shaun
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2003 - 06:01 AM UTC
I started to finish my Thud that I started last year the other night and I noticed something very strange. The nose of the Thud is completely off compared to the actual aircraft. Apparently if you look at it from the top the front side of the fuselage where the nose blends in is too thin, and RM overcompensated for it by narrowing the profile of the nose. So basically its too slim and it is not curved enough. It is a triangle when it needs to be a cone.
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2003 - 06:12 AM UTC
Also, the kit was not made to have the gear up. The entire model is made for display with the gear down. I found this out when trying to put the gear doors in the gear wells last night. On the main fuselage gear there are three doors per well. The biggest door doesnt fit porperly on either side and the smallest door doesnt fit at all. The nose gear is a different story. The real a/c has two doors just like the kit. The exeption is the fact that RM offers no closed door. So I have to figure out a way for the doors to fit into the well properly and make it look god while at the same time getting the doors to go TOGETHER and make it look good.
 _GOTOTOP