_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
1/48 Bristol Beaufighter
rholmstr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 04:37 PM UTC
Hi all, first time posting here so I figured a Beaufighter would be the one to start with.

Things will be simple on this one, straight OOB build.

Starting the CP area and getting the general items in place.

after that some color.

Depending on the scale I like to use oils on the instrument panel. I find it easier to "push" the paint where I need it.

Getting the wing assemblies done now along with some other fiddly bits. More pics soon

Enjoy

Bob

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 02:26 AM UTC
Bob,

Great progress so far with your build.

Tamiya got a few things wrong with tooling the Beaufighter kit, the gun sight mounting is to low, when in the traveling position it was level with the starboard windscreen frame, their is a raised spine just forward of the rear capola and you would need to remove the dimples on the cowling ring for that version of the Mk VI.
The cockpit and radio operators area should be matt black and not the Grey/Green primmer.

A good reference is the SAM Data File on the Beaufighter.

Have a look at the Beaufighter 40mm prototype pix that I posted for a reference.
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 06:16 AM UTC
Welcome Bob! Nice choise of subject, The Beaufighter is a beautiful plane in my opinion and the Tamyia kit is the way to go on this one. I will watch your work closely as I plan on doign one myself. In fact I nearly bought one today at my LHS but got Hasegawas Airacobra instead. Any idea on the camo yet? Is it going to be a "black cat" ?
rholmstr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 12:06 PM UTC
Rob - Thank you for the info

Nasby - thank you

So Moving along, I sprayed the interior cabin (fuselage halves) and gave them a wash with 502 oils "shadow brown", unfortunately you will not see any of it.

All the control surfaces are assembled and sanded:

The final CP assembly completed:

Fuselage halves have been joined and sanded:

The canopy masks have arrived and I will be getting the wings and surfaces assembled shortly. I need to do some more work on the landing gear and will have some photos of that up shortly.

Enjoy

Bob
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 06:58 AM UTC
wow what a speed. Is it coming together so good ?
rholmstr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 02:25 PM UTC
Naseby - thank you my friend.

Well who said you cant get enough detail out of a pre-molded engine. I first hit the entire part with the base coat of XF71. When that had dried I grabbed a bottle of Model Master buffing metalizer in "burnt metal. This stuff is pre thinned and is for airbrush use only..........well not for me, I utilized this as a wash. when the first coat "wash" had dried I simply did it again.

When that had dried I hit the center with Vallejo black and the governor was painted in Vallejo black grey.

I set that aside and finished up the props, landing gear and wheels. They are painted and flat coated but weathering has not been completed yet.

Canopy is masked, and attached and I have completed some minor filling after attaching all the control surfaces. more photos to follow on that.

more to follow

Bob
rholmstr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 05:43 PM UTC
Well gents shes done. I had some issues with the decals which is unusual for Tamiya kits. This is only the second time it has happened but it does happen occasionally.

enjoy

Bob
KrisMax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 06:54 PM UTC
That's a great result Bob, thanks for sharing your build with us. From the photos I don't see any issues with the decals except maybe a little silvering on the code letters? I recently started applying some future on the surface just before putting the decal on. The future dries and sucks the decal down nicely.
I started a Beaufighter TF Mk X in August and she's just about ready to paint. Maybe I'll finish it for Christmas!

Cheers

Simon
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
AeroScale: 272 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 09:00 PM UTC
Looks really nice, but I thought all aircraft in British service had yellow tips to the props? Your props also look as if they are standing off a long way in front of the engine.

Other than that it looks looks like a great build!
rholmstr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 06:56 AM UTC
Simon - thank you. I did in fact hit it with future and used Micro solset. This has happened only twice for me so Im miffed. Anyway I think what i am going to try is to use a pin and poke a few holes in the area and see if I can get the solset in there to fix it.

Dave - thank you, Ill have anopther look at the props, but that is as far as they go in.

Bob
Magpie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 653 posts
AeroScale: 165 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 10:36 AM UTC
Check out this link

http://www.petergoodearl.plus.com/airdays/raf50/fiftyf.htm

seems the props do stick out quite a bit.

Can't see much evidence of the yellow tips but it isn't a good angle
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 08:58 AM UTC
Wow! That was quick! Are you a speed-builder, Bob?
Your "Beau" turned out very nice, especially I like that you didn't weather that bird. That's what I also don't do with my builds. But you definatly forgot the yellow prop tips. Well, that problem is easy to solve.
I have the same kit in my stash but I would probably need 4-5 weeks for that.

Happy modelling!
Torsten
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 09:05 AM UTC
looking very good, I will be adding a Beaufighter to the collection soon, want to do both versions, night fight and day bomber.
rholmstr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 12:19 PM UTC
Thanks everyone I appreciate all the comments.

Bob
 _GOTOTOP