_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
My WNW FE2b
RussellSmith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 09:55 AM UTC
Okay, first let me say that by no means am I an expert model builder. Despite that, though, I think my FEE turned out pretty darn nice.

I didn't follow the plans to the letter. As most of you know, my models really only serve as a means to an end (i.e., they're lighting references for paintings). I have a special affinity for the FEE, though, so I gave this kit a little extra TLC. My goal was simply to build a stripped down, generic FE2b, thus, I left out the camera equipment and painted all of the upper surfaces in PC10.

I used the EZ wire for most of the rigging, with the exception being the cross rigging on the tail booms. I decided that the booms needed a little extra reinforcement so I used surgical steel on those. That EZ wire is great, but there's definitely a learning curve!

And yes, I do have a painting in mind for this one!

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 10:17 AM UTC
She is a honey Russell! Any concerns or comments you can offer on the build? Would you have replaced the booms with metal rod if you had to do it over again?
RussellSmith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 11:07 AM UTC
If you have the know-how, I would say yes, replace the booms. They're not terribly weak, mind you, but there is a slight sag when the model rests on the gear & skids. The surgical steel cross-rigging was enough to strengthen it up, though.

The other thing I would caution builders to look out for is the gear alignment. The instructions have you attach the gear to the nacelle before you put the lower wings on. This has to be done due to the way the gear fits up between the two. The problem with that, though, is that you don't have a nice rigid bottom wing to help you check if the gear is straight. I saw the potential problem ahead of time and dry-fitted the wings after I glued the gear on, but apparently I wasn't careful enough because the starboard wing sits about 1/8" lower than the port wing. Other than that, she looks a lot more difficult to build than she actually is.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 01:24 PM UTC
Well she looks beautiful. Nice work and fast too.

Keith
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 03:32 PM UTC
You did a fine job on it. It certainly has a certain appeal to it. I am sure that even the real ones had a slight lean port or starboard depending on load, humidity etc. Very nice job.

Best

Mark
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 08:14 AM UTC
She really looks sweet. Thanks for the heads up on the landing gear. Got that filed away for when I start mine. If you think of any other things to be on on the look out please post them.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 08:54 AM UTC
Hi Russell

Stunning! I can hardly believe you built it so quickly! I just hope mine looks half as good when I get onto it.

Actually, you can attach the undercarriage after the wings - Ray Rimell does it that way in his Windsock build. My gut reaction when I reviewed the kit was that's how I'll tackle it too, as I'm sure I'll manage to damage it otherwise while I sort out the wings.

All the best

Rowan
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2011 - 09:15 AM UTC
Actually the oleo struts would have been hell to balence out at this stage of technology, unless I am really wrong. So I would imagine many planes took a set, but then I haven't looked into the actuall setup/maintenance on anything more sophisticated than a Black Hawk.... recently.

Merry Christmas, and I got a Fee too!

Captn Tommy
tailsitter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 8 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 01:50 AM UTC
Awesome work Mr. Smith! i was waiting to see one of those built up by someone other than a Wingnuts rep. Now I think I will order mine. The RE-8 is waiting in the "box hangar" already. You must be a speed builder and devoted hobbyist to have finished it so quickly and so well! It looks magnificent. Thanks for sharing!
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 02:48 AM UTC
Brilliant and very fast build Russell. This must be the first outside WNW build of this kit published.

– Can't wait to start mine soon

Thanks For posting

Mikael
 _GOTOTOP