_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
P-51 guns ?
Thundergrunt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 657 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 08:49 AM UTC
Hey all doing some research for my build and i have found 3 different markings but my main question is the gun ports and trim tab on tail. the gun ports seem to be red. and somtimes wing color, what does the red signify, is it just around the ports or is it whole front panel red? Also my A/C has a yellow tail but an orage trim tab but mostt of the other A/C in the squadron dont.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 08:58 AM UTC
Sometimes red fabric was doped over the gun ports to seal them, especially in the RAF. This may be what you're seeing. Other times the trim was a personal marking. I'd have to see a picture to tell for sure.

In the case of the trim tab, perhaps it was a replacement from an aircraft with an orange tail? Or it could be another personal marking. The Tuskegee airmen used trim tab colours as personal markings, for example.
Thundergrunt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 09:09 AM UTC
Jessie

Thanks for the reply I ll post a pic in a minute. They are definatly not gun covers.

Here is a link to what im saying and also a B/W picture of a sister A/C.
http://www.markstyling.com/p51s/p51dcu.62.jpg

bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 09:45 AM UTC
Gene, the photo you put is a painting of a 357th Fighter Group Mustang. A few of the pilots put red paint on the gun ports as a personal marking. In the 362nd Fighter Group George Preddy put them on his last "Cripes' A' Mighty".

So, as I tell everyone, check your refrences and remember these things changed at their pilots and crew chief's whims.

Later
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 09:58 AM UTC
When compressed-air operated guns were loaded, they were also cocked; the pilot could not cock them himself. If a gun is cocked, it can go off entirely of its own volition. What better memory-jerker, NOT to walk in front of the guns, can there be than a swathe of red paint or fabric?
Edgar
Thundergrunt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 10:10 AM UTC
Lady and Gents

and thank you so much for your new guy guidance. I will use the red also it will hide a very hard repair job from the plastic of my revell kit.. I am appreciative of critiques thank you all. here is my WIP.

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/186763&page=1
 _GOTOTOP