_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Striking Pup
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 03:06 PM UTC
Greetings All:

I am almost finished with this striking pup. It is the WNW 1/32nd RFC Pup using Pheon Decal sheet 32015. I paintd the entire aircraft white, then masking painted the red areas ahead of the cockpit, wings and tail assembly. I then applied the striped decals starting with the top per Rowans instruction sheet. Due to the transluscency of the white, I had to cut the centers out of the kit decals, same with the serial number on the tail. The instructions do call this out, I cut out portions of white from the kit decal tail stripes and used that to back the serial number too good effect. Any flaws are mine as I found myself rushing. The kit is a fun build and is fairly quick. I used Bob's Buckles eye bolts, and Fine EZ line for rigging. Tamiya paints were used saved for the white which was Testors MM Insignia white.
The pictures aren't the greatest, but I will post better ones of the completed model soon.

The decals fit perfectly to include the leading edge piping. For the underside I did the pre-shading per Keith. The decals are thin, fit perfectly, the only flaw I can find is the transluscency of the white, but that is easily overcome with some prior planning.

Thanks for stopping by

Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 03:20 PM UTC
Very striking Pup! Thanks for sharing Mark! Could you tell us a bit about the original airframe?
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 03:29 PM UTC
Hello Stephen:

I wish I could tell you about the original, but I have no information other than what Rowen supplies in the instruction booklet which is thus:
"D4077 Central Flying School Uphavon: 'Owner' unknown at the time the markings were applied. Date is uncertain and it may have been post war." He references "Cross & Cockade 2009 Vol 40 no 3 and in the Sopwith Pup Datafile Special, page 26, photo 60." I just think it is a neat scheme and 'had' to do it.
I may have to get the Sopwith Pup Datafile Special, if still available.
Thanks for having a look.

Best
Mark
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 04:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Stephen:

I wish I could tell you about the original, but I have no information other than what Rowen supplies in the instruction booklet which is thus:
"D4077 Central Flying School Uphavon: 'Owner' unknown at thetime the markings were applied. Date is uncertain and it may have been post war." He references "Cross & Cockade 2009 Vol 40 no 3 and in the Sopwith Pup Datafile Special, page 26, photo 60." I just think it is a neat scheme and 'had' to do it.
I may have to get the Sopwith Pup Datafile Special, if still available.
Thanks for having a look.

Best
Mark

Mark,
First and foremost, Nice work, striking to say the least!
I have the Data File Special open in front of me. The photo captian reads "This Pup's markings were so stridently patriotic that they were probably a manifistation of post-armistace euphoria. Even the airscrew blades had what appeared to be red about the centerwith equal outer areas of white and blue. Identity, place, and date are all unknown unfortunately." The photo is credited to KM Molson. (hope I'm not busting any protocols or copyrights by submitting this ?!)
Looking much forward to the photos of the finished build. Very pretty indeed!

Cheers,
Lance
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 04:59 PM UTC
Thanks for the info Lance. I don't think you are violating any copyright by quoting a caption. Neat stuff to say the least. Yes, the prop is painted red white and blue, I even fashioned a spinner for it using the tip of an old 1/72 KC-97G auxiliary fuel tank. Stay tuned for more great modeling action right here on Aeroscale.

Best
Mark

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 01:10 AM UTC
Okay a couple more and then the finished product.

I did the engine using Testors Metalizer, non buffing steel, the intake manifolds are Humbrol Copper. To bring out the cylinder cooling vanes I used a wash of India Ink and water. I had to go over it a few times, but I like the effect, not too dirty but used.

I used EZ line for the plug wires; sadlyl they are all but invisible, butI know they are there.

Here is an in progress shot. I used Tamiya brass for the oil and fuel filler caps with a tad of the india ink wash to highlight them.

Thanks for stopping by.

Best
Mark
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 03:15 AM UTC
Hi Mark

– Thats one very striking Pup indeed – and very well built too – I like it a lot!!! The rigging looks very good as well. How are you finding rigging with EZ? I'm trying it out at the moment, but find it a bit of a strugle to get into the eylets.

Best Regards

Mikael
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 05:31 AM UTC
Okay a few more and that's it until it is finished.
The engine, cowling and prop in place.

The upper wing is on just to hold the interplane struts in place until set.

I really like this scheme
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mark

– Thats one very striking Pup indeed – and very well built too – I like it a lot!!! The rigging looks very good as well. How are you finding rigging with EZ? I'm trying it out at the moment, but find it a bit of a strugle to get into the eylets.

Best Regards

Mikael

Hi Mikael: Thanks for the compliments, it is a good kit. I find EZ line to be a bit fiddly and it is very difficult to get into the eyelets. I overcame that problem with the purchase of an optivisor. Makes it a breeze, well not a breeze, but it does make it easier to work with. It behaves as if it is alive, the more I work with it the easier it is because I know the pitfalls of it, and how to counter some of its unique behavior qualities. If you don't have an optivisor it can be very difficult. I was making my own eyelets, but they were a tad out of scale and a tedious task; but made threading it through the eyelet a lot easier. I took the plunge and got some of Bob's Buckles and an optivisor, and now I am hooked.
Make sure you are using the fine EZ line as the Heavy won't go through Bob's Buckles.

Good Luck Mikael.

Best wishes

Mark
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 05:59 AM UTC
Thanks for your insights on the EZ – I will give it a go. I figure it'll look better in some applications, like control cables.

Also guess I have to cave in and realise I don't have great eyesight at close range anymore – I'll look into the optivisor.

Thanks again Mark

Mikael
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 06:15 AM UTC
Mark,
Holy Cow man that one striking color scheme my friend.As always beautiful work.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I figure it'll look better in some applications, like control cables.

Also guess I have to cave in and realise I don't have great eyesight at close range anymore – I'll look into the optivisor.

Thanks again Mark

Mikael

Hi Mikael: You're welcome. I was reluctant to get an Optivisor as I had my 3 power reading glasses that sufficed, but after much personal debate, and talking to those who use one, I broke down, and it sure makes modeling a whole lot more enjoyable rather than struggling. I also use two tweezers. A very good grade, jeweler quality tweezers, to grab the line when it goes through the eyelet, and also to wrap it. Makes it a lot easier.

Best of luck

Mark
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 06:47 AM UTC
WOW, no lack of color for sure. That is quite a colorful bird. And well put together.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 08:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for your insights on the EZ – I will give it a go. I figure it'll look better in some applications, like control cables.

Thanks again Mark

Mikael

We should get a bonus from the makers of the Optivisor; I too ordered one and an extra lense earlier this week after getting info and advice from Mark and others. In lieu of a special deal maybe it would be wise to buy shares.........?!?
Seriously though, if it's half as good as everyone says I am really looking forward to the change in "view".

Cheers,
Lance
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 05:16 AM UTC
Greetings all:

I put the finishing touches on this morning, here it is, quite a striking color scheme.

Special thanks a tip of the pin to Rowan Broadbent for providing the inspiration and the decals to do this neat scheme, the friendly folks at Aero Scale for providing a forum to display and discuss our interest, Wingnut Wings for providing the cool model, and the many folks on this forum who provide encouragement and feedback.

Best

Mark
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 05:38 AM UTC
Mark,
Dazzling scheme and nicely done!
Congratulations on completing another beautiful build.
Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 01:41 PM UTC
Great build thanks for sharing Mark!
B24Liberator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
AeroScale: 113 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 03:44 PM UTC
Mark -

That is indeed a striking Pup! It will be worthy of the validation at the next contest! The model Baals will be envious!
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 06:07 AM UTC

Thanks again Stephen and Lance for the compliments. It sure makes a colorful addition to the rest of the models in their war time 'camo'.

Johannes: Take the plunge and get on board with the group build. It will be fun, we can talk about what subjects on the way to Rochester.

L8R
MMM
 _GOTOTOP