_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Eduard 1/48 Profipack kits
Banditt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 27 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 07:13 AM UTC
hello its been a while since iv posted but iv got more free time agen from work, Finally.

So basicly iv been building tamiya kits mainly but come across the Eduard site and there kits look awsome.

I mainly work in 1/48 scale so whats everyones thoughts on them then? Their Profipack look really detailed.

thanks.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 07:34 AM UTC
They're more fiddly than Tamiya kits, and if there's an option for an open door or panel, it's engineered to be open. Closing them up takes a little work sometimes. They're very nicely detailed and benefit greatly from taking time and care during construction. They're definitely not "shake the box" kits. There are sometimes fit issues, so building them is a case of overcoming the challenges rather than putting parts in place like you're used to with Tamiya kits. All in all, you get more modelling experience for your dollar

Take a look over in the "Wurger" campaign for a direct comparisson between Tamiya and Eduard FW-190s being built for the campaign.
Banditt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 08:28 AM UTC
jessie thanks for the fast reply. i will look into that campaign you suggested.
Im still pretty new to the modeling scene but fancy more of a challange and the Eduard kits sounds perfect.

thanks.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 09:02 AM UTC
Hi Matty,
I can recommend Eduard's Hellcats (F6F-3/-5) as Profi Packs and Weekenders. They are easy to build and fit nicely without filler.
If you want to build a Fw 190 with all hatches closed, you better go for the Tamiya or Hasegawa kits. I've tried an Eduard Fw 190 A-8 weekend once but never again .....
Their new MiG 21 series seems to be awesome as well. I'll give them a try.

Happy modelling!
Torsten
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 10:08 AM UTC
@ Torsten, glad to hear you say that about the Eduard kits. I was pretty much ready to give them all a bad drubbing. So I am glad to hear that it is mainly their 190A-8 that is a POS. You can read my thoughts on that one in 190 Campaign.
@ Jessie, I never mind a challenge during a build, it's how we learn and grow, but I would like, at least, a chance.
@ Matty, choose wisely my padewan learner and you may be rewarded. Seriously, (and I seldom am) if you are looking for more of a challenge than Tamyia, try Fujimi, Revell of Germany, ICM or even Revellogram (Revell/Monogram). They all have a suprising amount of detail right out of the box, have a low parts count and Eduard and other aftermarket companys have plenty of add ons so you can get as complicated as you want for each kit.
Good luck
Later
Beelzebub_Jones
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 05:53 PM UTC
The Eduard kits come in two groups: re-boxing of other manufacturers kits (for example their Mig 29 is the old Academy kit) and the kits they produce themselves (the Fw190 family is a good example of these). When they produce their own kits they're little gems. They all have wonderful detail but this comes at the cost of increased complexity. I'd highly recommend any of these. The re-boxed kits however have all of the issues with the original release. Tie Mig-29for example has the incorrect nose profile and poor cans. The cockpit has been upgraded with resin and is a vast improvement on the Academy release.

The profipack kits contain extra goodies like photo-etch and resin whereas their Weekend edition kits are the same but without the goodies and fewer marking options.

Hope this helps.
Banditt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 05:47 AM UTC
Thanks for all the replies really helpful.
Well i'm definitely going to invest in eduard after iv finished my current kit. i may even start a thread with the build.
Dont hold me to that though haha.
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 06:01 AM UTC
Best Eduard kits are the I-16s, Me-108 and Me-110s (though these last ones are difficult to build, but benefit a lot from the Profipack masks). Now you can add the Mig-21 as an outstanding kit it seems...

I do not think much at all of their kits generally, especially the FW-190As.

On the good side, but in another scale, I just found out it looks like their new 1/72 Hellcat corrected the enormous error of plan view of their 1/48th Hellcat: The real aircraft sides are paralell until way past the wings, NOT a tear drop shape from the engine back! Amazing how many kits share the same issue: The Gavia Lysander, which Eduard also markets, has the same error to a truly frightening degree, as does another Eduard released kit: The Accurate Miniatures Yak-1...

Eduard's FW-190s are all saddled with inaccurate canopies if not even worse in the case of the A and Fs... They are by a wide margin the worst short-nose 190s out there. (The long nose are much better, but really need a Hasegawa canopy, the only accurate option out there, plus a better prop...)

The Tempest is old and very inaccurate, and even the 1/32 Me-109E is poor, but maybe the new 1/48th one will be better...

They are getting much better lately, and I like their 2008 vintage I-16s in 1/48th a lot, but not much else 1/48th WWII from them...

Gaston

mike_espo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 02:57 PM UTC
Eduard 1/48 are great kits.

Fit is very good, and the detail is awesome. Accuracy is great as well.

I am building one of their 1/48 I-16 kits now and no major issues. Instructions are easy to follow and detailed.

I would totally recommend them for beginners.

One caveat: Their earlier kits can be a pain.....Make sure you get a release within the last 10 years.
 _GOTOTOP