_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Airco DH. 2 Completed
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 04:24 AM UTC
I guess I’ve been quiet for awhile (since completing the group build) but I have been checking in from time to time. A couple of things have occupied my time, including redoing my workspace (The Junkers taught me that I needed more room), putting in an airbrush hood and some heath issues, but I haven’t been idle. I finally completed the Roden DH 2 (for better or worse).

I figured tackling a kit like this might help me be promoted from WWI Apprentice Modeler to Modeler Junior Grade. There were times when I thought about quitting, as it seemed that I was way over my head. In the end, I would not have completed it without using EZ line and Bob’s Buckles. I did use wire for the booms, for support and to prevent too much bowing of the spars. The rigging is straightforward if done in stages, just tedious. Tim West’s rigging guide is a must. This is my interpretation of Hawker's machine from 23 November:
Enjoy
KrzysiekK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 30 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hi Dennis,

The rigging in this DH.2 is crazy..I really admire your efford you just dedicated to handle with it.
I think there is too much light on photos..it would look better when you reduce a little bit.

Nice done!

K
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 07:02 AM UTC
Thanks Krzysztof

The rigging was tedious, but not too bad if you do it in steps. It would never have been finished without EZ line and Bob's Buckles (first time using both).

Sorry about the photos. It's a new camera and I'm still learning how to use it. The EZ line is also difficult to visualize.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 08:12 AM UTC
Hello Dennis:

I think you summed it up nicely. "I finished it". I think it looks great. It is a daunting kit, and I have put off doing it for a long time. One of these days.
Hats off and tip of the pin on your accomplishment.

Best

Mark
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 09:22 AM UTC
Dennis your a step or two above me with this one, its a kit I would quake at.... all that rigging and easy broke bits... hats off to you.

Oh and a nice build to boot
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 10:21 AM UTC
Dennis,
Very nice; someday when I get good at this I'll tackle one of these! It's got to be, as Mark I think said, an intimidating subject. You have presented it very well and hats off to you!

Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 02:48 PM UTC
Nicely done Dennis! The rigging just makes everything come together. Give us your imressions on the E-Z line and the kit please.
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 04:04 PM UTC
Thank you all. Your comments are most appreciated.

Stephen, the kit needs a fair amount of work-lots of pits, defects and ejector pins that needed cleaning. I had gotten used to Wing Nut's quality with the Junkers and I had to reset my assembly mode-lots of dry fitting and shaping. I used a lot of aftermarket materials-Eduard photo etch, the Vector Gnome and the Pheon resin seat. The booms had no alignment pins, and the struts were not much better, so I drilled out the ends of the booms, struts and insertion points on the wings, and used 28 gauge wire in the holes as pins. That worked well and gave very good support. In the end, if I had to do it again, I would wait for the Wing Nuts DH.2.

The EZ line works great with this kit, particularly with Bob's Buckles. It's the only way I could do the control cables. I bumped quite a few lines during assembly, and all they did was bend and return to shape. They have so much give that I could rig between the inboard and outboard struts before placing the outer struts. You just need a good light source, magnifying optics and patience. The downside to the EZ line is that it offers no support, which is why I use wire for the booms.

It least this build got me ready for the Wing Nuts Fee. I have the FE.2b (early) in the stash but it will be a little while before I tackle that one.

OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 08:08 PM UTC
Hi Dennis,

Nice top see you've tackled the DH2 – looking very sharp as well. I do agree with you – the rigging is not all that difficult, if you take it in stages. Tim Wests rigging diagram helps too!

Best Regards

Mikael
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 01:58 AM UTC
Hi Mikael and thanks.

In addition to the usual (Osprey, Windsock and Squadron) references and Tim West's rigging manual, I also used your build as a guide, particularly for the interior. It would not have been finished without it.
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 02:16 AM UTC
Very nice piece of work Dennis. Rigging looks terrific. I have one in the stash and looks like a nice "get your feet wet" motivator for the Fee. Did you mention what size ezline you used. The smaller of the 2 i assume...0.003 I think.
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 03:15 AM UTC
Hi Marc and thanks

Actually, I used the .006 inch line (0.15 mm). I checked around and the best price was off the Wing Nuts site with no tax and free shipping. However, they tend to run out quickly once they get it in.
 _GOTOTOP